PDA

View Full Version : New member comes packing a cot

PoliCon
11-19-2008, 02:20 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/2exr3ah.jpg

More than 50 soon-to-be members of Congress arrived on Capitol Hill this week with plans for changing America.

Jason Chaffetz came with a cot wrapped in duct tape and a plan for washing his underwear.

Elected two weeks ago to represent Utah’s 3rd Congressional District, Chaffetz intends to serve how he lives and how he campaigned: frugally.

So rather than renting an apartment in Washington, he’ll join the ranks of members who sleep in their offices at night and shower each morning in the House gym. He will take his suits to the House dry cleaner and will bundle together his “socks and undies” to take home every weekend to be washed.

“My wife is just worried that it is going to stink,” he said. “She said, ‘Jason, get good air circulation.’”

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15761.htmlI'm impressed! I like this guy already :)

CueSi
11-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Bless his heart.

I bet he's a mormon too. . .that oughta gall some more leftward.

~QC

linda22003
11-19-2008, 02:32 PM
He's Mormon, and here's an interesting tidbit from his Wikipedia page:

"Chaffetz's father was briefly married to Kitty Dukakis and Chaffetz has an older half brother, John Dukakis."

linda22003
11-19-2008, 02:35 PM
A news article also says that Jason Chaffetz was Dukakis' campaign manager in Utah, before seeing the GOP light in the 1990s.

marinejcksn
11-19-2008, 04:56 PM
I saw that too, he was a Democrat until he met the Gipper in 1990, when he realised he fit in better with the Republicans. His campaign story is pretty inspiring; he beat out the 6 term Republican incumbent who was endorsed by Bush, both Utah Senators and also outspent him 6-1. Pretty impressive.

SaintLouieWoman
11-19-2008, 05:22 PM
The former Senator Jim Talentfrom Missouri, another good guy, also just slept in his office and did the shower thing. He said apartments were too expensive in DC. He came home often. His wife, Brenda, had been active in his campaign. She's a very bright attorney and partner in a large law firm.

Chaffetz sounds like an up and comer. Wish there were more like him.

Odysseus
11-19-2008, 07:05 PM
The former Senator Jim Talentfrom Missouri, another good guy, also just slept in his office and did the shower thing. He said apartments were too expensive in DC. He came home often. His wife, Brenda, had been active in his campaign. She's a very bright attorney and partner in a large law firm.

Chaffetz sounds like an up and comer. Wish there were more like him.

Yeah, about sixty or seventy more, at least for this election cycle.

PoliCon
11-20-2008, 12:20 AM
we have two years to do what ever we can to send more to DC.

Odysseus
11-20-2008, 09:21 AM
we have two years to do what ever we can to send more to DC.

Start making campaign contributions now.

PoliCon
11-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Start making campaign contributions now.I am very regular in my contributions - but money is no replacement for action.