PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thursday

franksolich
11-20-2008, 07:35 AM
Well, no one got around to starting a new day thread, so I'll jump in.

Happy Thursday!

One week from Thanksgiving; it's a good time to start reflecting upon those things for which one should be thankful to God.

That could be anything from thanking God that one has won the Powerball lottery down to that one's toenails all grow out rather than in.

A whole lot of things for which one should be grateful.

Gingersnap
11-20-2008, 09:51 AM
You need a TOTD, Frank. If you throw existential stuff at them this early without direction, they will just make a mess. :p

franksolich
11-20-2008, 09:59 AM
You need a TOTD, Frank. If you throw existential stuff at them this early without direction, they will just make a mess. :p

Sorry about that, madam.

I was distracted by the cats.

Topic of the Day: what ordinary things in life are you thankful to God for?

Other than the usual family, country, &c., &c., &c.

I'm rather grateful that I actually weigh less than I did in high school.....and much to my appallment, I'm the only one (out of a graduating class of 101).

That sort of thing.

Gingersnap
11-20-2008, 10:45 AM
It's snowing here (sort of) and this would be a good day to read a book in front of the fireplace.

TOTD: I'm thankful that everything still works pretty well. I'm also thankful that my priorities today aren't nearly as stupid as my priorities were when I was 20. :)

franksolich
11-20-2008, 10:54 AM
It's snowing here (sort of) and this would be a good day to read a book in front of the fireplace.

It's snowing here today, too, on the eastern slope of the Nebraska Sandhills.

Our first snow. It's about six weeks later than usual.

A couple of weeks ago, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, and two-thirds of Nebraska got snow. For some really peculiar reason, there was a patch, a "circle," of about 25,000 square miles in the middle of all this, where there was no snow, period, and I was right in the middle of it.

I suspect we were deprived snow because this area of Nebraska voted heavily against the Big Zero--even more so than the "more conservative" western part of the state--and the Big Zero used his divine powers to deny us snow.

I'm not fond of snow, but as long as it's inevitable, one has to put up with it, and hopes to get it all over with as soon as possible.

SaintLouieWoman
11-20-2008, 12:25 PM
It's snowing here today, too, on the eastern slope of the Nebraska Sandhills.

Our first snow. It's about six weeks later than usual.

A couple of weeks ago, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, and two-thirds of Nebraska got snow. For some really peculiar reason, there was a patch, a "circle," of about 25,000 square miles in the middle of all this, where there was no snow, period, and I was right in the middle of it.

I suspect we were deprived snow because this area of Nebraska voted heavily against the Big Zero--even more so than the "more conservative" western part of the state--and the Big Zero used his divine powers to deny us snow.

I'm not fond of snow, but as long as it's inevitable, one has to put up with it, and hopes to get it all over with as soon as possible.

Consider it a sign that God is smiling on the "smart" portion of the state that did not go with Obama.

TOTD: I'm grateful to God that he protected me from certain injury on the highway Tuesday when my car suddenly lost power. If it had happened 2 or 3 minutes later, I would have been stuck on the highway with no shoulders. I have much to be thankful for this year, although a lot poorer. My poor 401k. :(

wineslob
11-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Sorry about that, madam.

I was distracted by the cats.

Topic of the Day: what ordinary things in life are you thankful to God for?

Other than the usual family, country, &c., &c., &c.

I'm rather grateful that I actually weigh less than I did in high school.....and much to my appallment, I'm the only one (out of a graduating class of 101).

That sort of thing.

That I have a wonderful wife and a great kid.
A beautiful sunrise on my birthday. (saw it on the way to work)
That I can still go backpacking to the most stunning high mountain lake I've ever seen......and it's full of large trout.

SarasotaRepub
11-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Cool here today and I did see a few snow flakes going to the bank. :eek:

I'm thankful we both still have a job! Heard on the radio they are expecting
the unemployment rate to be near 8% by years end...