PDA

View Full Version : Iran Said to Have Nuclear Fuel for One Weapon

PoliCon
11-20-2008, 03:31 PM
By WILLIAM J. BROAD and DAVID E. SANGER
Published: November 19, 2008

Iran has now produced roughly enough nuclear material to make, with added purification, a single atom bomb, according to nuclear experts analyzing the latest report from global atomic inspectors.

The figures detailing Iran’s progress were contained in a routine update on Wednesday from the International Atomic Energy Agency, which has been conducting inspections of the country’s main nuclear plant at Natanz. The report concluded that as of early this month, Iran had made 630 kilograms, or about 1,390 pounds, of low-enriched uranium.

Several experts said that was enough for a bomb, but they cautioned that the milestone was mostly symbolic, because Iran would have to take additional steps. Not only would it have to breach its international agreements and kick out the inspectors, but it would also have to further purify the fuel and put it into a warhead design — a technical advance that Western experts are unsure Iran has yet achieved.

“They clearly have enough material for a bomb,” said Richard L. Garwin, a top nuclear physicist who helped invent the hydrogen bomb and has advised Washington for decades. “They know how to do the enrichment. Whether they know how to design a bomb, well, that’s another matter.”

Iran insists that it wants only to fuel reactors for nuclear power. But many Western nations, led by the United States, suspect that its real goal is to gain the ability to make nuclear weapons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/20/world/middleeast/20nuke.html?ex=1384837200&en=d6b066d0f6927e24&ei=5124

PoliCon
11-20-2008, 03:32 PM
I thought Iran wasn't a threat . . . .

Molon Labe
11-20-2008, 04:26 PM
So what if they are?
They would be a glass parking lot in about 13 minutes ....which is about the time for a LGM-30 Minuteman to get from point A to B. ;)

Goldwater
11-20-2008, 05:43 PM
So what if they are?
They would be a glass parking lot in about 13 minutes ....which is about the time for a LGM-30 Minuteman to get from point A to B. ;)

+1

They try anything the whole country is in ruins within an hour.

asdf2231
11-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Which is small comfort to the residents of whatever US or allied city becomes a crater.

Plus there is a ruling element in that country that just FLAT OUT DOES NOT CARE if they get nuked in retaliation because it is a ticket to martyrdom.

So by all means let's be good little isolationists. :rolleyes:

Sergeant_Hard
11-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Don't worry about it cause the Israeli's are going to strike one of these day here in the very near future and this country will be dragged into another Middle Eastern conflict.

Sonnabend
11-21-2008, 08:20 AM
So what if they are?
They would be a glass parking lot in about 13 minutes ....which is about the time for a LGM-30 Minuteman to get from point A to B.

..and then, there is only one question you need to ask.

Which way is the wind blowing?

Molon Labe
11-21-2008, 12:48 PM
..and then, there is only one question you need to ask.

Which way is the wind blowing?

I'm really not concerned with a podunk like Iran. Their leaders know deep down it would be suicide for then entire middle east. There's no reason to believe all Arabs are not rational actors.
Some have said it's isolationism to believe that we shouldn't have to police the entire world. I just tend to think it's good foreign policy not to send the troops to every corner of the globe.

Lars1701a
11-21-2008, 01:02 PM
I'm really not concerned with a podunk like Iran. Their leaders know deep down it would be suicide for then entire middle east. There's no reason to believe all Arabs are not rational actors.
Some have said it's isolationism to believe that we shouldn't have to police the entire world. I just tend to think it's good foreign policy not to send the troops to every corner of the globe.

THEY DONT CARE about getting blown up, can't you see that? BTW who says we have to send troops? bunker busters work just as well.

Molon Labe
11-21-2008, 01:04 PM
THEY DONT CARE about getting blown up, can't you see that? BTW who says we have to send troops? bunker busters work just as well.

They? Who's "they"?

You mean Iran or Al Qaeda.....Two completely different things.

Lars1701a
11-21-2008, 01:16 PM
They? Who's "they"?

You mean Iran or Al Qaeda.....Two completely different things.

um the Iranians and from the stand point of dying for Allah there is no difference between the two.

Molon Labe
11-21-2008, 01:19 PM
um the Iranians and from the stand point of dying for Allah there is no difference between the two.

It's bullshit to suggest that all arabs of all muslim nations wish to die. This is the same crap the left does to Christians.

Uh. Didn't our CIA say there was no program? :confused:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/03/america/cia.php

Lars1701a
11-21-2008, 01:29 PM
It's bullshit to suggest that all arabs of all muslim nations wish to die. This is the same crap the left does to Christians.

Uh. Didn't our CIA say there was no program? :confused:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/03/america/cia.php

I cant speak to the CIA, and I didnt say all arabs I SAID THEIR GOVERNMENTS. I dont think the little people in Iran or withing AQ have a say. LOL when the CIA says one thing its wise to believe the opposite. Well we dont have to police Iran or any shit arab country if Iran is close to a nuke we should support Isreal and let them do the dirty work.

Molon Labe
11-21-2008, 01:45 PM
I cant speak to the CIA, and I didnt say all arabs I SAID THEIR GOVERNMENTS. I dont think the little people in Iran or withing AQ have a say. LOL when the CIA says one thing its wise to believe the opposite. Well we dont have to police Iran or any shit arab country if Iran is close to a nuke we should support Isreal and let them do the dirty work.

Ok...That's all I'm saying. When you hear all this bunk about Nucs....who's word are you going to take when our own CIA can't get it right.
If the Iranian's want to make this fuel into high grade weapons...they are going to need to make significant changes to their program.
I'm just saying that not every Arab government is desiring an interstate war with the U.S. especially a nuclear one. Remember Pakistan has had Nucs for years and is a far more radically Islamic than Iran.