PDA

View Full Version : Rahm Emanuel Was A Ballet Dancer,NEW YORK'S LORDS OF THE DANCE .

megimoo
11-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Rahm Emanuel's role as pointe man means new respect for boys & ballet

Belly up the barres, boys. It's a perfect time to take the leap and don those tights - or maybe that's vice versa. With the flurry of attention for the ballet history of congressman Rahm Emanuel (President-elect Obama's pick for White House chief of staff), it's suddenly become a lot cooler to be a guy who knows his way around toeshoes, turnouts and tights.

PHOTOS: NEW YORK'S LORDS OF THE DANCE "We're very proud to know Mr. Emanuel was a dancer," says Kelly Ryan, spokeswoman for the American Ballet Theatre (ABT). "His accomplishments have been so immense, and in a...

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/arts/2008/11/16/2008-11-16_rahm_emanuels_role_as_pointe_man_means_n.html

jinxmchue
11-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Hmm... Chief of Staff Twinkle Toes.

it's suddenly become a lot cooler to be a guy who knows his way around toeshoes, turnouts and tights.

Uh... No. No, it hasn't. No. Not one bit.

Well, maybe in the gay community it has, but not in the 98% of the rest of the world.

noonwitch
11-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Hmm... Chief of Staff Twinkle Toes.

Uh... No. No, it hasn't. No. Not one bit.

Well, maybe in the gay community it has, but not in the 98% of the rest of the world.

Ballet dancing is a very physically demanding activity. The picture with the article is hilarious, from the perspective of the guy being Chief of Staff in the White House, but I think that Baryshinikov at his prime was in as good shape physically as Michael Jordan was in his prime.

megimoo
11-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Ballet dancing is a very physically demanding activity. The picture with the article is hilarious, from the perspective of the guy being Chief of Staff in the White House, but I think that Baryshinikov at his prime was in as good shape physically as Michael Jordan was in his prime.
Real American men don't much care for 'Men In Tights'!There is something 'suspicious' about them .the next step for men who wear tights is for them to wear woman's bra's and panties on the sly !Can you imagine a man like Ronald Reagan or John Wayne in ballet tights ?

Sonnabend
11-21-2008, 09:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lUjhEHlh7s

wilbur
11-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Real American men don't much care for 'Men In Tights'!There is something 'suspicious' about them .the next step for men who wear tights is for them to wear woman's bra's and panties on the sly !Can you imagine a man like Ronald Reagan or John Wayne in ballet tights ?

Seriously, this country is going to hell!

Can you imagine guys like our founding fathers in tights, wigs and makeup? They must be rolling in their grave right now!

oh wait...

noonwitch
11-21-2008, 10:22 AM

I never wanted to sleep with Ronald Reagan or John Wayne. I can't say that about Mikail.

megimoo
11-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Seriously, this country is going to hell!

Can you imagine guys like our founding fathers in tights, wigs and makeup? They must be rolling in their grave right now!

oh wait...
They weren't tights but Breeches they wore in colonial times, Brutis.

Breeches
From the late 16th century until the early 19th century, most men wore breeches as their lower body garment. Through the centuries breeches were seen in many forms and lengths. In the early 18th century breeches were barely seen beneath long waistcoats and coats. By the mid-18th century they were more noticeable beneath shorter waistcoats and open coats, and so the cut of breeches became tighter and revealed the shape of the leg. Worn by all levels of society, breeches were made in a great variety of silks, cottons, linens, wools, knits, and leathers. (See also Trousers)

megimoo
11-21-2008, 10:31 AM
I never wanted to sleep with Ronald Reagan or John Wayne. I can't say that about Mikail.Was it his tight pants that titillated you ?

linda22003
11-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Real American men don't much care for 'Men In Tights'!There is something 'suspicious' about them.

That's true for some "real guy type" American men and cultural events in general. It's like they spray themselves with culture repellent.

megimoo
11-21-2008, 11:37 AM
That's true for some "real guy type" American men and cultural events in general. It's like they spray themselves with culture repellent.It all depends on whom gets to define 'culture' !

noonwitch
11-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Was it his tight pants that titillated you ?

Only in that they revealed his muscular legs. It was the muscles that titillated me.

linda22003
11-21-2008, 03:09 PM
It all depends on whom gets to define 'culture' !

'Whom' gets to? Now you're just messin' with me. So... tights on a dancer, bad. Tights, or some equivalent form of spandex, on a football player, good. :cool:

wulfpaw
11-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Anything that needs to be propped-up/entirely supported by massive grants and government funding is not the valid culture of the land. The 'arts', symphoneys and the like are quaint hobbies of the same elitist scum that are ruining the country. No surprise one of the loons involved with that claptrap finally made the rounds to the point of working out of the white house.

linda22003
11-22-2008, 09:47 AM
The 'arts', symphoneys :rolleyes: and the like are quaint hobbies of the same elitist scum that are ruining the country.

So, if you listen to Beethoven or, God forbid, the opera, you're anti-American. It's 'murricun to hate alla 'at stuff. An' if'n ya read an ackshul book, yer "prolly" gay. :cool:

Phillygirl
11-22-2008, 09:50 AM
So, if you listen to Beethoven or, God forbid, the opera, you're anti-American. It's 'murricun to hate alla 'at stuff. An' if'n ya read an ackshul book, yer "prolly" gay. :cool:

He didn't say it was unAmerican, merely elitist.

linda22003
11-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, 'murrica was started as a place whar everyone's equal, so elitist must be automatically un-'murrican. And equality would mean the lowest common denominator, not the highest. :p

Look, I'm sorry his mommy made him sit through a piece of classical music one time, but it's obviously far in the past now. ;)

Phillygirl
11-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Well, 'murrica was started as a place whar everyone's equal, so elitist must be automatically un-'murrican. And equality would mean the lowest common denominator, not the highest. :p

Look, I'm sorry his mommy made him sit through a piece of classical music one time, but it's obviously far in the past now. ;)

I spent 14 years in ballet. I have a love for the art. I still view most of the guys that do it as unmasculine. Probably because they generally are. Sure, they're in great physical shape. But they're gay. And somewhat effeminate.

Celtic Rose
11-22-2008, 10:20 AM

I would argue that part of the reason that Classical music and Opera are considered elitist is the way that people who do listen to them act. I enjoy classical music, but I don't believe that it is automatically superior to all other music simply by virtue of being classical music. However, some people believe that all music that isn't classical is inferior, or "noise", and that classical music is cultured. The backlash to that attitude is the reaction that you describe above, a way of people rejecting those who look down their nose at classical music.

And I have never heard anyone denigrate book reading :cool:

linda22003
11-22-2008, 12:22 PM
I would argue that part of the reason that Classical music and Opera are considered elitist is the way that people who do listen to them act. I enjoy classical music, but I don't believe that it is automatically superior to all other music simply by virtue of being classical music. However, some people believe that all music that isn't classical is inferior, or "noise", and that classical music is cultured.

I think people who act that way likely are insecure about their own place in life and think they need to impress someone. They're also the ones most likely to clap between movements. :p

megimoo
11-22-2008, 04:26 PM
'Whom' gets to? Now you're just messin' with me. So... tights on a dancer, bad. Tights, or some equivalent form of spandex, on a football player, good. :cool:
I'll bet you would be a 'sight' in tights ?I'll try and explain the difference between a Ballet dancer and a football player but I'm sure it will go over your head.

Football players actually do take Ballet dancing to improve their evasion skills.All of those pirouettes and spirals are good training to evade tacklers and by twisting they can slip out of their tacklers grips.Football players 'tights' are really just to prevent loose clothing for the defence to grab .

Football players get very cruddy dirty and are a mass of bruised flesh after most games while male Ballet dancers are slightly damp and cramped,It's rather like comparing a French poodle to a large Boston Boxer .

wilbur
11-22-2008, 04:27 PM
I'll bet you would be a 'sight' in tights ?I'll try and explain the difference between a Ballet dancer and a football player but I'm sure it will go over your head.

Football players actually do take Ballet dancing to improve their evasion skills.All of those pirouettes and spirals are good training to evade tacklers and by twisting they can slip out of their tacklers grips.Football players 'tights' are really just to prevent loose clothing for the defence to grab .

Football players get very cruddy dirty and are a mass of bruised flesh after most games while male Ballet dancers are slightly damp and cramped,It's rather like comparing a French poodle to a large Boston Boxer .

Football players also like to play 'slap ass'. ;)

megimoo
11-22-2008, 04:35 PM
Football players also like to play 'slap ass'. ;)And male Ballet dancers like to play Clutchy Butt and Grabby Ass with other Male dancers !

http://break.com/index/butt_grabbing_prank.html?matchid=:D

Sonnabend
11-22-2008, 04:37 PM
And male Ballet dancers like to play Clutchy Butt and Grabby Ass with other Male dancers !

..no, they don't.

Sonnabend
11-22-2008, 04:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn-t9BgV9Pg

Phillygirl
11-22-2008, 04:44 PM

Actually, football players take ballet more to learn how to avoid knee injuries. The kickers often take classes to develop more flexibility. They really don't get much out of the pirouettes.

Celtic Rose
11-22-2008, 05:04 PM

That was pretty good :p

megimoo
11-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Actually, football players take ballet more to learn how to avoid knee injuries. The kickers often take classes to develop more flexibility. They really don't get much out of the pirouettes.
Dance as Cross-Training
Several articles, and studies, throughout the years have explained how athletes can benefit from taking ballet lessons. Many professional athletes have said that ballet gave them greater flexibility, balance, and muscle control. One of these athletes is former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Lynn Swann, who was open about his background in ballet.

The 1984 Cleveland Browns football team also saw benefits from taking ballet. After Roni Mahler taught

Ballet reduces the risk of some injuries for American football playersballet to the team team for twelve weeks, the Brownsí medical advisor noticed several improvements. For example, after taking ballet, the football players experienced fewer groin injuries. This, ballet instructors know, is because turnout strengthens small muscles in the hips and pelvic area, and it increases the range of motion in a dancerís hips. And, because dance training makes football players more aware of their pelvic positioning while crouching, they become less likely to experience injury.
http://www.dancehere.com/dance-and-cross-training/
Is it true that ballet dancers are fitter than most football players?
I think muscle wise ballet dancers are much fitter than football players. Itís a mixture of strength and flexibility. For male dancers thereís lots of lifting, turning and jumping. Itís good for boosting your upper and lower body strength and remembering all the dance routine gives you a fantastic mind workout.

What are some of the most challenging moves/positions?
For me itís turning. Some people are natural turners and some are natural jumpers. And then thereís the lucky few who are good at both.

megimoo
11-22-2008, 05:45 PM

What does that prove?If he were a professional Ballet dancer instead of a young man with normal genes he wouldn't much care about the woman except if they were prettier or danced with more 'grace' than he !Here try this one for 'glamour ?
Andrian Fadeyev, principal dancer

This handsome blond dancer in his late twenties is an impeccable danseur with an innate nobility and a pure classical style. He is the finest Prince Desire in the Kirov's new/old production of "The Sleeping Beauty". As Solor in "La Bayadere" and Albrecht in "Giselle", he is dazzling in virtuosity as well as emotional intensity.
Fadeyev has distinguished himself in the Kirov's Balanchine repertory. As the soloist in "Rubies" Fadeyev brings out all the playfulness and fun inherent in the technical fireworks. He is a peerless young god in "Apollo".

In "Ballet Imperial" his dancing is as clean as fresh air. He dances Lankedem in "Le Corsaire", a role in which he is cast against type, with dramatic flair. Fadeyev also dances two Nijinsky roles. He is an endearing puppet in "Petrushka", and dances in "Le Spectre de la Rose".

Sonnabend
11-22-2008, 05:58 PM
What does that prove?If he were a professional Ballet dancer instead of a young man with normal genes he wouldn't much care about the woman except if they were prettier or danced with more 'grace' than he !Here try this one for 'glamour ?

...I have known people who have worked closely with the corps'd ballet.Trust me, the male dancers sleep well at night....and rarely alone.

You have no idea how wrong you are :D:D

megimoo
11-22-2008, 06:09 PM
...I have known people who have worked closely with the corps'd ballet.Trust me, the male dancers sleep well at night....and rarely alone.

You have no idea how wrong you are :D:DPerhaps Ausie ballet dancers are the exception to the rule but some big name ballet dancers were/are gay .Rudolf Nureyev who was regarded as one of the greatest male dancers of the 20th century, alongside Vaslav Nijinsky and Mikhail Baryshnikov were gay .

With Nureyev's ballet talents "he soon became one of the Soviet Union's best-known dancers, in a country which revered the ballet and made national heroes of its stars. He enjoyed the rare privilege of travel outside the Soviet Union, when he danced in Vienna at the International Youth Festival. Not long after, for disciplinary reasons, he was told he would not be allowed to go abroad again. He was condemned to tours of the Soviet provinces.

It was during this time that Nureyev came under investigation by the KGB, as he was known as having relations with "known homosexual men", a situation that would soon change his life forever."

Phillygirl
11-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Dance as Cross-Training
Several articles, and studies, throughout the years have explained how athletes can benefit from taking ballet lessons. Many professional athletes have said that ballet gave them greater flexibility, balance, and muscle control. One of these athletes is former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Lynn Swann, who was open about his background in ballet.

The 1984 Cleveland Browns football team also saw benefits from taking ballet. After Roni Mahler taught

Ballet reduces the risk of some injuries for American football playersballet to the team team for twelve weeks, the Brownsí medical advisor noticed several improvements. For example, after taking ballet, the football players experienced fewer groin injuries. This, ballet instructors know, is because turnout strengthens small muscles in the hips and pelvic area, and it increases the range of motion in a dancerís hips. And, because dance training makes football players more aware of their pelvic positioning while crouching, they become less likely to experience injury.
http://www.dancehere.com/dance-and-cross-training/
Is it true that ballet dancers are fitter than most football players?
I think muscle wise ballet dancers are much fitter than football players. Itís a mixture of strength and flexibility. For male dancers thereís lots of lifting, turning and jumping. Itís good for boosting your upper and lower body strength and remembering all the dance routine gives you a fantastic mind workout.

What are some of the most challenging moves/positions?
For me itís turning. Some people are natural turners and some are natural jumpers. And then thereís the lucky few who are good at both.

See. It's about the muscles, not the pirouetting. Basketball players were frequently sent to our classes as well. They learned how to land properly from a jump, reducing the risk of injury. I once helped train a swimmer to provide him with greater foot flexibility.

I highly recommend ballet classes for any athlete. But the notion that the pirouettes helps with their "spinning" away from tacklers is not quite right, though the muscle control, balance, and flexibility helps them to be able to start, stop, and react quickly and with less injury.

Sonnabend
11-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Perhaps Ausie ballet dancers are the exception to the rule but some big name ballet dancers were/are gay .Rudolf Nureyev who was regarded as one of the greatest male dancers of the 20th century, alongside Vaslav Nijinsky and Mikhail Baryshnikov were gay .

Hate to be the one to tell you this, but there are more than two male ballet dancers in the world. :rolleyes:

megimoo
11-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Hate to be the one to tell you this, but there are more than two male ballet dancers in the world. :rolleyes:Oh I know that but they sure have a bad reputation .How well would you be received at an RSL post if you told them that you were a ballet dancer as a young man ?

Sonnabend
11-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Oh I know that but they sure have a bad reputation .

No they dont.

How well would you be received at an RSL post if you told them that you were a ballet dancer as a young man ?

As long as you are a member, none of their business.

megimoo
11-22-2008, 06:43 PM
See. It's about the muscles, not the pirouetting. Basketball players were frequently sent to our classes as well. They learned how to land properly from a jump, reducing the risk of injury. I once helped train a swimmer to provide him with greater foot flexibility.

I highly recommend ballet classes for any athlete. But the notion that the pirouettes helps with their "spinning" away from tacklers is not quite right, though the muscle control, balance, and flexibility helps them to be able to start, stop, and react quickly and with less injury.
Are you a football quarterback or a tight end ?The whole idea is to sack the quarterback quick before he can throw a pass.Getting by those gorillas on the line can be tough on the body.Also the receivers have to twist and turn to avoid being grabbed by the defensive backs and stay free to run !

Phillygirl
11-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Are you a football quarterback or a tight end ?The whole idea is to sack the quarterback quick before he can throw a pass.Getting by those gorillas on the line can be tough on the body.Also the receivers have to twist and turn to avoid being grabbed by the defensive backs and stay free to run !

I agree...but the plies, entrechats, and jetes will do more for them than the pirouettes.

megimoo
11-22-2008, 07:07 PM
I agree...but the plies, entrechats, and jetes will do more for them than the pirouettes.......OK draw !

Moon
11-22-2008, 07:15 PM
What an odd thread!

megimoo
11-22-2008, 07:27 PM
What an odd thread!.........In what way ?

wulfpaw
11-24-2008, 06:18 AM
[1]So, if you listen to Beethoven or, God forbid, the opera, you're anti-American. [2]It's 'murricun to hate alla 'at stuff. [3]An' if'n ya read an ackshul book, yer "prolly" gay.[1]No, classical music is o.k.; I have a problem with taxpayers money keeping afloat a network of sym-phoney halls, and so-called 'art' galleries, though. And no, I have no problem with paintings either. It's when the government decides to fund their pet projects that this becomes offensive. This all comes down to pork-barrel projects, really. Politicians secure our money for these hobbies of theirs to further secure their social standing with the big campaign donors at home.[2]Being american isn't about hating anything. In this case though, it's about having a spine, expressing righteous indignation at politicians playing favorites to their own with your money; money they take under threat of you bearing fines or imprisonment. [3] Heh, I was in the top 4% of my class.

linda22003
11-24-2008, 07:10 AM
Thank you for the explanatory note! :)

wulfpaw
11-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Yep, no problem :D