PDA

View Full Version : Foods of Fear! Or Media Guilt-Tripping Gone Wild.

Gingersnap
11-21-2008, 01:44 PM
BY THE NUMBERS
Six Chip Dips to Avoid at a Holiday Party

The appetizers at your holiday party might be gone in a flash, but what you dipped into them won't soon disappear from your waistline.

By Tina Peng | Newsweek Web Exclusive
Nov 20, 2008

Chances are, you've already planned out your Thanksgiving battle plan to minimize calories and maximize satisfaction. You probably know how insidious those scalloped potatoes are and that it might not be worth it to take a third piece of pumpkin pie. But calories are sneaky—and you probably haven't made accommodations for those predinner snacks in your calculations. Especially unhealthy? Party dips for the tortilla chips, pita triangles and pieces of bread your hosts are almost sure to lay out. Try to aim for the guacamole, hummus or plain salsa, but if you must indulge, here's how to tally the damage.

1. Sour cream dip: Sour cream is used as a base ingredient in many dips. Watch out: A quarter cup of it (the measurement most recipes use to gauge a single serving) has 123 calories and 12 grams of fat, according to CalorieKing.com. And that's before all the add-ons.

2. Cheese dip: These dips are nacho lovers' go-to's, but that doesn't mean they're any good for the waistline. A recipe that calls for onions, chilis, tomatoes and garlic—along with cream cheese and cheddar or jack cheese—serves up 145 calories and 12 grams of fat in a quarter cup, according to RecipeZaar.com.

3. French onion dip: This chip-dunking staple is composed of onions or onion powder mixed with various combinations of sour cream, cream cheese and mayonnaise. And one commercial brand estimates that each serving can hold as much as 200 calories and 15 grams of fat.

Well, unlike the writers at Newsweak, I don't eat chips and dip every month, let alone every day. I figure that I can eat maybe twice a much as usual on Thanksgiving and it won't have any effect at all on my weight.

If you are desperately worried that a once a month over indulgence will send you to the fat farm, why not just eat a lot less for the three day run-up to the holiday? :rolleyes:

Chips O' Death (http://www.newsweek.com/id/169988)

noonwitch
11-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Salsa is the only dip I know of that doesn't have a lot of fat.

I make my own dips, but they still have high-fat ingredients, mostly either cream cheese or Velveeta (for the Velveeta/RoTel Chili pepper quesa dip). If your making dip for a party, no one person eats that much of it.