PDA

View Full Version : Florida teen commits suicide in front of webcam

SarasotaRepub
11-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Yep, it's Florida again... (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081121/D94JIDEG2.html):rolleyes:

MIAMI - A South Florida college student killed himself by overdosing on drugs in front of a live online audience as some computer users egged him on, some debated his method, and others tried to talk him out of it.

Abraham Biggs, 19, of Pembroke Pines, died Wednesday at his home from a toxic combination of opiates and benzodiazepine, a drug used to treat insomnia and depression, said Wendy Crane, an investigator with the Broward County medical examiner's office.

Authorities say the Broward Community College student is not the first person to commit suicide with a webcam rolling.

It's unclear how many people were watching through the Web site bodybuilding.com. Someone finally notified a site moderator, who pinpointed Biggs' location and called police, but they arrived too late to save him, Crane said.

Speedy
11-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Way to go, Abe! That'll show 'em! Maybe the DU drama queen Underground Panther should take notes.

JB
11-21-2008, 07:47 PM
some debated his methodI would like to see a transcript of that.

Speedy
11-21-2008, 07:59 PM
I would like to see a transcript of that.

Seeing as how most suicides are about getting back people they feel wronged them. You can't really top a shotgun to your own head except maybe setting yourself on fire for shock value.

Excuse my frankness, but my own thoughts on suicide are, good fucking riddance! If someone values his life so little that he ends it himself why should I value it at all. And to those like Underground Panther who constantly contemplate it. Contemplate it all you want but don't tell me about it. Let me learn of it when I read the paper and learn about it. If you can't shut up about it, then do it already.

FlaGator
11-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Seeing as how most suicides are about getting back people they feel wronged them. You can't really top a shotgun to your own head except maybe setting yourself on fire for shock value.

Excuse my frankness, but my own thoughts on suicide are, good fucking riddance! If someone values his life so little that he ends it himself why should I value it at all. And to those like Underground Panther who constantly contemplate it. Contemplate it all you want but don't tell me about it. Let me learn of it when I read the paper and learn about it. If you can't shut up about it, then do it already.

That isn't what most suicides are about. As for your own thoughts about suicide... let's just say that they speak to your total ignorance of what pain some people can and can not tolerate. It also speaks volumes about the truly tiny amount of humanity you have in your soul.

JB
11-21-2008, 08:45 PM
...I'm just curious about what the background conversation looked like on that chat board while the guy in question was getting ready to off himself.

Were they discussing the merits of speed versus effectiveness? Painful vs. painless? What works and what doesn't? It's not like the guy was deciding on what toothpaste to use. He was getting ready to kill himself and an entire debate was taking place regarding the best way to do it. Quite intriguing.

SarasotaRepub
11-21-2008, 08:55 PM
I would wager a lot of people weren't taking him seriously.
It's the net for God's sake.

JB
11-21-2008, 08:57 PM
I would wager a lot of people weren't taking him seriously.
It's the net for God's sake.Wait a second. People lie on the Internet? Does that mean jendf is really a dude?

FlaGator
11-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Wait a second. People lie on the Internet? Does that mean jendf is really a dude?

I know. I was shocked when I found out!

Phillygirl
11-21-2008, 09:00 PM
That isn't what most suicides are about. As for your own thoughts about suicide... let's just say that they speak to your total ignorance of what pain some people can and can not tolerate. It also speaks volumes about the truly tiny amount of humanity you have in your soul.

It's really a sad sad story, isn't it?

EricMartin
11-21-2008, 09:00 PM
An amusing/disturbing conversation on the Internet.

<evilada>: Best suicide plan ever
<mcm310>: what is it?
<evilada>: you go up to the top of a roof
<evilada>: string piano wire tight across the front edge at neck level
<evilada>: tie a cord to your foot and the other end to the building so that you'll be above sidewalk level when its fully stretched
<evilada>: then you put super glue on your hands
<evilada>: and put your arms around the front of the wire and then back to touch your head
<evilada>: then you lean forward, so the piano wire cuts your neck but not your elbows
<evilada>: when the cord goes taut, youll be hanging upside down with no head....except your head will be in your outstretched arms thanks to gravity and the glue, staring at someone upside down and spewing blood everywhere.
<evilada>: And some poor bastard will be traumatized for LIFE.
<mcm310>: i dont think i can be your friend anymore

Living in La
11-21-2008, 09:11 PM

This has been a sad school year for our area. First a high school senior baseball player with a full scholarship hanged himself (over a fight with a girlfriend) and this past week a junior high student hanged himself (not sure why but the funeral was today). I don't even begin to try to understand it, but I know how traumatized my daughter, who knew both of these young men, was.

Speedy
11-21-2008, 09:18 PM
This has been a sad school year for our area. First a high school senior baseball player with a full scholarship hanged himself (over a fight with a girlfriend) and this past week a junior high student hanged himself (not sure why but the funeral was today).

See what I mean?

FlaGator
11-22-2008, 12:11 PM
See what I mean?

No I don't see what you mean. Explain it to me.

Speedy
11-22-2008, 01:01 PM
No I don't see what you mean. Explain it to me.

The motives and reasons given behind what drives these people to kill themselves are so petty. That they regard their life so cheaply as to end it for so little. That is why I really do not get all teary eyed and meloncholy about these things because if they held their life in such low regard, why should I value their lives anymore than they do?

I really can't sympathize with these people. I have been through much worse, suffered lost relationships, "loves", family, been completely homeless, have had Post Traumatic Stress issues for 15 years (and have refused to take any medication for it) and never, not once has the thought of ending my life to "be spared the pain" ever entered into the equation. In other words, I just don't get it. Just like I just don't get the "I got to use drugs to cope" thing. Seems kind of cowardly to me.

lurkalot
11-22-2008, 01:11 PM
The motives and reasons given behind what drives these people to kill themselves are so petty. That they regard their life so cheaply as to end it for so little. That is why I really do not get all teary eyed and meloncholy about these things because if they held their life in such low regard, why should I value their lives anymore than they do?

I really can't sympathize with these people. I have been through much worse, suffered lost relationships, "loves", family, been completely homeless, have had Post Traumatic Stress issues for 15 years (and have refused to take any medication for it) and never, not once has the thought of ending my life to "be spared the pain" ever entered into the equation. In other words, I just don't get it. Just like I just don't get the "I got to use drugs to cope" thing. Seems kind of cowardly to me.

I was actually going to call you to the thunderdome on this one. Then I realized how sad and shallow your approach to life must be. Because you perceive yourself as able to "overcome" you have no awareness of the depth of pain and sorrow others emotions can run, the channels of pain in the human soul so deep that there is no other choice but oblivion for them. It is only by recognizing that pain and by reaching out to another human being as God intended us to do, that anyone can really completely feel and affect other's lives for the good.

this was a fluke post, I will now return to my standard of fluff

Speedy
11-22-2008, 01:28 PM
I was actually going to call you to the thunderdome on this one. Then I realized how sad and shallow your approach to life must be. Because you perceive yourself as able to "overcome" you have no awareness of the depth of pain and sorrow others emotions can run, the channels of pain in the human soul so deep that there is no other choice but oblivion for them. It is only by recognizing that pain and by reaching out to another human being as God intended us to do, that anyone can really completely feel and affect other's lives for the good.

this was a fluke post, I will now return to my standard of fluff

You really have no idea how much I value life. Innocent life in the womb or just life in general. It is a very precious thing to me. That is why I "overcome" because my life is worth more than what has assaulted it.

One of the biggest injustices I ever saw was what was done to Terri Schiavo in Florida. When that brain injured woman was starved to death practically before our eyes. I practically cried in useless frustration over that one.

There was a suicide in my family. What it did to that family was much worse than what having had the courage to face his problems and seeking a solution would have been. That has really coloered my view on this. Whatever the pain, it has never seemed worth the consequences having seen them close up.

lurkalot
11-22-2008, 01:37 PM
You really have no idea how much I value life. Innocent life in the womb or just life in general. It is a very precious thing to me. That is why I "overcome" because my life is worth more than what has assaulted it.

One of the biggest injustices I ever saw was what was done to Terri Schiavo in Florida. When that brain injured woman was starved to death practically before our eyes. I practically cried in useless frustration over that one.

There was a suicide in my family. What it did to that family was much worse than what having had the courage to face his problems and seeking a solution would have been. That has really coloered my view on this. Whatever the pain, it has never seemed worth the consequences having seen them close up.

I've had suicide affect me personally as well. And professionally I have had to deal with the aftermath numerous times. I agree it is a selfish act as far as the victim is only those left behind. And anger is a very large part of dealing with the aftermath. I'm not sure how to articulate my thoughts on this without getting tangled, so will try to sum it up in a simple thought that I used to process the first time I dealt with a family of a victim of suicide, "they left to find a better world than the one they left behind"

Molon Labe
11-22-2008, 02:55 PM
It's really a sad sad story, isn't it?

It's a real shame. We've taken the reality TV thing to a whole other level. It's like watching a public hanging or a gladiator fight. Extreme voyeurism

FlaGator
11-22-2008, 03:00 PM

I wish you actually knew something about this but your posts show how truly shallow you knowledge actually is. Being someone who considered suicide do to my alcoholism and drug addiction, I thought that death was the only way out. I wasn't thinking about doing it to get even with people or make them feel bad for me. I was considered it because I hurt so bad and I didn't think that I could quit. I was sick of my problems causing so much pain for my family that I convinced myself that I was doing them a favor.

God spoke to my heart at my lowest moment and he took away from me the things that made suicide seem like a viable option. He cured my addictions and healed the wounds in my family. He also showed me how much pain my death would have caused other people. Before that I never understood the implication of suicide and how those around me would be hurt.

You take a very simplistic approach in your view of suicide and the reasons for it. You view is probably right in some causes but most are beyond your ablity to grasp. I pray that you don't have go through the pain of a child or some other loved one killing themselves because they saw life as hopeless. Some people are stronger than others but we shouldn't belittle those who are weak. We should help them to become stronger.

FlaGator
11-22-2008, 03:03 PM

Your words speak otherwise about you. You seem to only value the life of those who seem strong to you. Those who are weak or troubled you suggest they kill themselves. That shows a very low opinion of human life for the humans that probably need you strength and help the most.

Molon Labe
11-22-2008, 03:21 PM

That to me sounds like you just called every single person, be it a War vet, or victim of rape, or whatever trauma.... who ever felt like they had no way out, a coward for being in this state of mind. :confused:

Speedy
11-22-2008, 03:46 PM
That to me sounds like you just called every single person, be it a War vet, or victim of rape, or whatever trauma.... who ever felt like they had no way out, a coward for being in this state of mind. :confused:

No I did not. Being in that state of mind is not cowardly. It is choosing suicide as a way out that I view that way. I'm sorry, but "oh that poor tortured soul" is not what passes through my mind when I see these stories.

Kind of like my kids and their teenaged "angst." Fuck you and your depression! Right now tell me what the fuck you are depressed about and not be abstract about it or get the fuck back in your room. You tell me what you are depressed about and we can work on it, but depressed "just because?" You can take that shit to some fucking where else.

Like I said. I have been there. I was supposed to do life without parole when I was in prison and was pretty much abandoned by everyone. Have not slept more than three (four on a goodnight) hours a night in 15 years because of PTSD issues and I will not take drugs for it. I have lost everything that meant something to me at one time or another. None of these things have ever driven me to to drink, drugs or contemplating suicide. I just don't get it. That is what I am saying.

Ree
11-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Yep, it's Florida again... (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081121/D94JIDEG2.html):rolleyes:
Looks like he got the attention he craved..Lot of good it did him...

Living in La
11-22-2008, 08:04 PM
No I did not. Being in that state of mind is not cowardly. It is choosing suicide as a way out that I view that way. I'm sorry, but "oh that poor tortured soul" is not what passes through my mind when I see these stories.

Kind of like my kids and their teenaged "angst." Fuck you and your depression! Right now tell me what the fuck you are depressed about and not be abstract about it or get the fuck back in your room. You tell me what you are depressed about and we can work on it, but depressed "just because?" You can take that shit to some fucking where else.

Like I said. I have been there. I was supposed to do life without parole when I was in prison and was pretty much abandoned by everyone. Have not slept more than three (four on a goodnight) hours a night in 15 years because of PTSD issues and I will not take drugs for it. I have lost everything that meant something to me at one time or another. None of these things have ever driven me to to drink, drugs or contemplating suicide. I just don't get it. That is what I am saying.

I suffer from rheumatoid arthiritis and Sjogrens syndrome. Most people think arthiritis, they think painful joints. Unfortunately, that ain't the way it is. I have inflammation in most of the connective tissues in my body, including my internal organs and spinal column. And my current prognosis is I will be blind in the next five years (and I still consider myself a young woman at 40). I have had this disease since I was a teenager and have gone through periods of remission which has allowed me to live a somehat normal life. Although I receive excellent treatment, every day is painful and some days are worse. I would never consider suicide as an option but this damn sure is a bad way to live. I can see where some people would consider suicide as an option, although I can't condone that decision. But I don't have all the answers.

RobJohnson
11-22-2008, 09:19 PM
I suffer from rheumatoid arthiritis and Sjogrens syndrome. Most people think arthiritis, they think painful joints. Unfortunately, that ain't the way it is. I have inflammation in most of the connective tissues in my body, including my internal organs and spinal column. And my current prognosis is I will be blind in the next five years (and I still consider myself a young woman at 40). I have had this disease since I was a teenager and have gone through periods of remission which has allowed me to live a somehat normal life. Although I receive excellent treatment, every day is painful and some days are worse. I would never consider suicide as an option but this damn sure is a bad way to live. I can see where some people would consider suicide as an option, although I can't condone that decision. But I don't have all the answers.

Sorry about your health, hang in there.

I often know about pain and at times it amazes me how I manage to get out the door in the mornings. Today is one of those days for me, every thing simply hurts, including my head.

Living in La
11-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Sorry about your health, hang in there.

I often know about pain and at times it amazes me how I manage to get out the door in the mornings. Today is one of those days for me, every thing simply hurts, including my head.

Thank you so much. I will continue to hang in there because the option doesn't appeal to me. God never gives you more than you can handle, but He sure has a sense of humor sometimes.

marinejcksn
11-24-2008, 05:00 PM
This story is tragic. I heard about it on Glenn Beck today, what possesses people to do this I'll never know. My family has suffered with it a lot. I've got an aunt who jumped off a bridge in the 80's, my sister tried, my mom multiple times. Mental Health is a real issue, anyone who thinks this is funny or just a joke needs to grow up. Prayers go out to his family. :(

Space Gravy
11-25-2008, 09:33 AM
I wish you actually knew something about this but your posts show how truly shallow you knowledge actually is. Being someone who considered suicide do to my alcoholism and drug addiction, I thought that death was the only way out. I wasn't thinking about doing it to get even with people or make them feel bad for me. I was considered it because I hurt so bad and I didn't think that I could quit. I was sick of my problems causing so much pain for my family that I convinced myself that I was doing them a favor.

God spoke to my heart at my lowest moment and he took away from me the things that made suicide seem like a viable option. He cured my addictions and healed the wounds in my family. He also showed me how much pain my death would have caused other people. Before that I never understood the implication of suicide and how those around me would be hurt.

You take a very simplistic approach in your view of suicide and the reasons for it. You view is probably right in some causes but most are beyond your ablity to grasp. I pray that you don't have go through the pain of a child or some other loved one killing themselves because they saw life as hopeless. Some people are stronger than others but we shouldn't belittle those who are weak. We should help them to become stronger.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well,.........you deserve some of that credit too.

noonwitch
11-25-2008, 10:26 AM

Have you ever been depressed? There is a difference between those who use suicidal threats to manipulate others' sympathy (drama queens like UP) and those who are genuinely suicidal.

I had a friend in high school who committed suicide. He made a previous effort, by purposely crashing a car, and his parents didn't take it seriously enough to remove all the guns from their house prior to his return from a long hospital stay. He picked a surer method when he succeeded, about 5 months later. He had been depressed for years, didn't fit in well at school, and his father wanted him to be a jock when he wanted to be in the musicals. I babysat for he and his little sister, even though he was only a year younger than me, because his parents didn't trust him to watch his sister. When me or my brother couldn't sit for them, they would hire a girl in his own grade to babysit-how humiliating that must have been. I watched his dad beat his ass one time for making mistakes in a football game. I think he felt pretty hopeless. After that incident, he came and lived in our basement for a few weeks, but he had to go home after that. If my parents had known what was going to happen, they probably would have sought guardianship of him.

The night he crashed the car, he stole it from down the street from our house-he was a mile from his house, and wearing a swimsuit (we had a pool) and was barefoot. We were out of town that weekend.

It's so complicated for kids like him. The same dad who beat the shit out of him for not being good at football (also, the word faggot was used by dad during the beating) also kept a drunk asshole from beating the shit out of my brother at a gathering of our family's friends. The same mom who stood by during this was a brittle diabetic whose life the kid had saved a few times (she was one of those who would give herself extra insulin in order to eat more, but then would forget to eat). The family took me on vacation with them a few times, and I had a lot of fun with them and the kids.

I really don't know how anyone could be unsympathetic to a kid in a situation like that.

Speedy
11-25-2008, 11:05 AM
Have you ever been depressed? There is a difference between those who use suicidal threats to manipulate others' sympathy (drama queens like UP) and those who are genuinely suicidal.

I really don't know how anyone could be unsympathetic to a kid in a situation like that.

Actually, I do have sympathy for those in those situations. I lived those. My dad was a horrible drunk who made my life and my mom's a living hell. My situation was so bad that other kids avoided me. I can't point even now to anyone I grew up with a say, "Hey, that is a friend of mine." One of the reasons I am so passionate about dogs is because until I left high school for college, my dogs were the only friends I had.

I had a younger brother who died when I was 6. He would have turned 47 three days ago. In my parents mind, though he was only 5 when he died, he was going to achieve greatness. Anything I did, my brother would have done better. And my parents never hesitated to say that to me. I got to finals once in the Texas Golden Gloves and lost. A sparkiling acheivement for anyone. That meant that in the state of Texas, there was only one amatuer Welterweight boxer better than me. That year, that weightclass had Donald Curry and Gene Hatcher fighting in it. Both became world champions years later. My father felt that my brother probably would have won the whole thing that year.

My father's drinking affected me in alot of ways. One of them is that I have never drank in my life because I will never allow anyone to see me in a state I grew to hate. I sought solace in the boxing ring and later Martial Arts and football. I never sought to end it all even when things got worse.

I am sympathetic for those in those situations and many of them survive them, I have no sympathy for those that take the cowards way out. The guy on the cam, especially. Whatever he was going through, in the end, I became not about his pain or anything else than making going out an event. Not only did he take the easy way out, he was a drama queen about it. Kind of like the Captain Hook character in Hook. "I am going to end it all and don't try to stop me, Smee. Don't stop me, Smee. Stop me, Smee! Stop me!"

noonwitch
11-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Actually, I do have sympathy for those in those situations. I lived those. My dad was a horrible drunk who made my life and my mom's a living hell. My situation was so bad that other kids avoided me. I can't point even now to anyone I grew up with a say, "Hey, that is a friend of mine." One of the reasons I am so passionate about dogs is because until I left high school for college, my dogs were the only friends I had.

I had a younger brother who died when I was 6. He would have turned 47 three days ago. In my parents mind, though he was only 5 when he died, he was going to achieve greatness. Anything I did, my brother would have done better. And my parents never hesitated to say that to me. I got to finals once in the Texas Golden Gloves and lost. A sparkiling acheivement for anyone. That meant that in the state of Texas, there was only one amatuer Welterweight boxer better than me. That year, that weightclass had Donald Curry and Gene Hatcher fighting in it. Both became world champions years later. My father felt that my brother probably would have won the whole thing that year.

My father's drinking affected me in alot of ways. One of them is that I have never drank in my life because I will never allow anyone to see me in a state I grew to hate. I sought solace in the boxing ring and later Martial Arts and football. I never sought to end it all even when things got worse.

I am sympathetic for those in those situations and many of them survive them, I have no sympathy for those that take the cowards way out. The guy on the cam, especially. Whatever he was going through, in the end, I became not about his pain or anything else than making going out an event. Not only did he take the easy way out, he was a drama queen about it. Kind of like the Captain Hook character in Hook. "I am going to end it all and don't try to stop me, Smee. Don't stop me, Smee. Stop me, Smee! Stop me!"

You came in second in the Texas Golden Glove boxing? That is awesome. That's a big state, too, with lots of competition. Your dad was an idiot not to see how great of an achievement that is.

I was lucky-my dad was a drunk when I was a teen, but he was a nice drunk and made good money. My issues were with my borderline mother-his being a drunk just gave her more power. I did think about suicide a few times as a teen, and didn't follow through because I couldn't do that to my siblings and friends. Plus, the only person I expressed it to was my violin teacher, and she was not into self pity. She also didn't like my mom, and was one of the few adults I knew who was willing to say so-she asked me if my mom called me names, does that make those words true? She made a good point, and I got on with my life.

I didn't watch the video, I couldn't bring myself to do that.

RobJohnson
11-26-2008, 03:00 AM
One of them is that I have never drank in my life"

Try it, you might loosen up a bit. :D