PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Sharing

Bubba Dawg
11-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Cold. Very cold on the mountain. The wind makes it seem even more so.

Now I believe in Winter. As summer traced its way into Autumn I felt coolness in the air but my mind was not quite ready to accept the realities of ice and snow and aching joints.

Now it is abundantly clear, even here in the southland, that Winter is here.

The south. I am a native Georgian, born of country folk. Farmers. I came of age in the last days of segregation. The starting point for all my myths and legends and dreams lies in these plowed fields and woodlots and in old old ways.

These are the starting points for my perceptions of art and music and literature. Faulkner. Eudora Welty. Flannery O’Connor. The Allman Brothers. Alice Walker. Byron Herbert Reece. Ray Charles. What a rich tapestry of voices and words and song.

CU is made up of a diverse lot. The folks here are from all over America, and even from all over the globe. We meet and discuss. Sometimes we fuss. But still, IMHO, this is a fine crew. And the fact that we’re from all over is mighty interesting. At least it is to me.

TOTD: Share something of where you are from. Tell us about the region that you call home, or the place where you live now. It could be about music, or history, or geography or anything at all.

I’ll start by talking about….food. My cholesterol level is excellent. 165. Good balance between the good and the bad. But that has nothing to do with how I ate growing up.

Fatback. Bacon. Biscuits and gravy. Fried everything. Cornbread. Boiled vegetables with pork fat to season them. BUTTER. SAUSAGE. CREAM. EGGS. EGGS. EGGS.

Country cooking. Rich sweet desserts. Fried fruit pies. And more EGGS.

I remember when pizza, at least in the south, was kinda exotic. Shakey’s Pizza was the first I ever had. I don’t guess they’re even around anymore.

When I go to Homecoming at the little Baptist church in south Georgia where so many of my folks are buried, Country Cooking is the order of the day. It is familiar, and it is comforting in its familiarity.

Yet I do love a good biryani at the Indian Restaurant when I have a chance.

What is special or good about where you live? There are so many possible answers. Share just a few.

JB
11-22-2008, 01:07 AM
I see the spirit of CW lives on.

I'll get back to you.

lurkalot
11-22-2008, 01:38 AM
One word:
Turbaconducken

http://bacontoday.com/turbaconducken-turducken-wrapped-in-bacon/

JB
11-22-2008, 01:42 AM
One word:
TurbaconduckenOMG. Late to the party as usual. (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=8255)

Lamer.

Gingersnap
11-22-2008, 11:27 AM
It's bright but cold in my part of Colorful Colorado. I see leaf raking in my future.

TOTD: Although I've lived other places (including overseas), my home has always been in the Cowboy West. I grew up under big, big skies and had the good fortune to be able to wander around (on foot or on horseback) without a team of adults "guiding" my every move. There is something to said for being able to leave the house in the morning and go as far as you want to go until the sun hits midday and you have to turn around to make it back in time for supper.

Living on a ranch, my culture centered on hard work, clean fun, thrift, friends, and family. We listened to country music and classical music (piano lessons, dontcha know). We read the Bible and the Great Books series which somebody picked up at an auction somewhere. We also read Horse and Rider and innumerable county extension pamphlets. The thrill of every year was the Stock Show in Denver.

I live in Colorado now instead of Wyoming but all those values and interests are pretty much intact. I grow a lot of our veggie food, I'm still thrifty, I still read the Bible and the books in the Great Books plan. I still go to the Stock Show. I still wander around aimlessly (sometimes under the pretense of fishing or hunting).

I'm glad that I can sit on a ridge and admire God's country for an hour or two without getting bored. :)

lurkalot
11-22-2008, 11:29 AM
OMG. Late to the party as usual. (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=8255)

Lamer.

um HELLO...was not the issue about food, memories, culture, etc?? Mine can be summed up in one word. However, you appear disturbed because I linked to a previous link? Is there a rule that I can't repost a favorite recipe that demonstrated clearly my priorities in life?
*sigh* Its okay, I remember how grumpy I got when I was going thru puberty as well. You hang in there lil' feller, I'm here for you.

Celtic Rose
11-22-2008, 12:19 PM
TOTD: I've lived in California all my life, and it is so modern, and liberal, now that I think it is easy to forget how much history it has. The Spanish Missionaries built Missions all along California, and you could supposedly walk from one to next within a day.

Gold was discovered in the Sierra Mountains in 1948, and thousands rushed out here in the Gold Rush in 1849. There are tons of towns that sprung up during that time. My Grandparents live up in Gold Country, close to the area where Mark Twain wrote about life in California. They are only about 15 miles from where the Calaveras Frog Jumping contest, immortalized by Mark Twain, happens each year.

The area where I live now was once a Quicksilver mining town, and most of the valley was once Orchards. My parents remember huge orchards all over the area when they were young, but they have mostly been replaced by houses now. San Jose is now the "Capital of Silicon Valley", but it was once a largely agricultural area. It is an incredibly spread out city

San Jose was originally El Pueblo de San Jose de Guadalupe, founded by the Spanish in 1777, and was actually the first Capital of California. It has gone from a rural, agriculture community, to the 10th largest city in the US, and a major leader in technology.

RobJohnson
11-22-2008, 01:28 PM
40's at night, 70's during the day...will cool off next week for turkey day.

TOTD: I came from a rural midwestern area. I grew up working. I had Tennessee Walking Horses in my back yard, and would ride daily after school. I would do body work and paint cars for friends and neighbors when I was 14.

Bubba Dawg
11-22-2008, 04:54 PM
I see the spirit of CW lives on.

I'll get back to you.

Excellent.

Thanks for the compliment. :D

I'm drinking gin instead of scotch. Reminds me of something Scott Fitzgerald said:

I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library.