PDA

View Full Version : Catholic hospital being sued by ACLU for refusing to perform transition surgery

Banacek
04-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Dignity Health’s Mercy San Juan Medical Center, a private Catholic hospital in Sacramento, California, is currently embroiled in a lawsuit brought on by the American Civil Liberties Union after the hospital refused to perform a sex transition surgery in August.

According to the suit, Evan Michael Minton, a 35-year-old woman who wishes to be a man, wanted to have an elective surgery done on her that would have her vagina removed. The suit says that Minton was denied the hysterectomy because, as Minton claims, the hospital was discriminatory due to his lifestyle.

“We feel very clearly that they discriminated against me because I’m transgender, and that is against the law,” Minton said

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/04/26/catholic-hospital-being-sued-by-aclu-for-refusing-to-perform-transition-surgery/

SVPete
04-27-2017, 05:13 PM
That I know of, this is the second frivolous lawsuit by the ACLU against a Dignity Health hospital in CA. Mercy's refusal has nothing to do with the whatever-you-call-it's lifestyle and everything to do with Catholic hospitals not doing sterilization surgeries. And BTW, Sacramento is not a podunk town with no other hospitals nearby. There are probably between 5 and 10 major, excellent, hospitals within an hour's drive of Mercy (where my Dad had bypass surgery 30+ years ago).

This is a frivolous lawsuit, lawfare intended to force a choice on Dignity Health between honoring its Catholic faith or being driven out of business by the costs of defending itself against frivolous lawsuits. That Dignity Health being driven out of business would shut down many smaller communities' only significant hospital is a problem about which the ACLU doesn't and wouldn't give a #$%.

BTW, I'm not a Catholic, so I don't have that horse in this race.

eismann82
04-27-2017, 05:40 PM
Cry baby, maybe the surgery was too risky to perform, or they probably had more pressing surgeries to undertake. There are plenty of hospitals that probably would be happy to do it.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

SVPete
04-27-2017, 06:19 PM
... There are plenty of hospitals that probably would be happy to do it.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

UC Davis Medical Center is right near the intersection of US 50 and SR 99 freeways in central Sacramento, 20-25 minutes' drive along I-80 and Business Loop 80 from Mercy San Juan Hospital. Sutter Medical Center is a mile or so closer.

Dlr Pyro
04-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Same as with forcing a bakery to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple, why would anyone want to force a doctor or hospital to perform a surgery they don't want to perform?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Retread
04-27-2017, 08:45 PM
<snip>

BTW, I'm not a Catholic, so I don't have that horse in this race.

I think you do as well as I. If this succeeds there will be a whole lotta high priced hospitalization coming out of the woodwork to take over the cases left out in the cold. This will only be the first domino if it falls. The avalanche will continue across the country. The public at large will suffer - as if any prog gave a damn.

cadillac shark
04-27-2017, 10:23 PM
I doubt that a Catholic hospital has doctors on-staff that perform those specialized types of operations. No reason to.

SVPete
04-28-2017, 09:00 AM
I think you do as well as I. If this succeeds there will be a whole lotta high priced hospitalization coming out of the woodwork to take over the cases left out in the cold. This will only be the first domino if it falls. The avalanche will continue across the country. The public at large will suffer - as if any prog gave a damn.

My horse, if you will, is religious freedom. The MSM will never admit it, nor Lib & Prog activists, but the goal is to make compromising or giving up one's religious beliefs the price to enter medicine ... and law ... and government ... and law enforcement ... and baking ... and photography ... and ..............

noonwitch
04-28-2017, 09:10 AM
I thought it was long-standing policy at Catholic hospitals to not perform hysterectomies unless they were medically necessary (prolapsed uterus, cancer, fibroids, etc.), that they don't do it as elective surgery.

SVPete
04-28-2017, 09:29 AM
I thought it was long-standing policy at Catholic hospitals to not perform hysterectomies unless they were medically necessary (prolapsed uterus, cancer, fibroids, etc.), that they don't do it as elective surgery.

That is exactly what the ACLU is attacking.

FourWinds
04-28-2017, 01:47 PM
Unreal. Just go to a plastic surgeon. Hospitals should be a place of healing, why should they be a place for a guy to get plastic tits or a place for a woman to gain the ability to grow a beard? Ridiculous.

SVPete
04-28-2017, 03:08 PM
Unreal. Just go to a plastic surgeon. Hospitals should be a place of healing, why should they be a place for a guy to get plastic tits or a place for a woman to gain the ability to grow a beard? Ridiculous.

FW, I suspect that were Dignity Health able to get ahold of this character's phone records this whole lawsuit would be shown to have been planned well before it approached Mercy San Juan about the surgery.