PDA

View Full Version : California military base construction workers detained by ICE

Banacek
05-15-2017, 03:41 PM
Hugo Mejia grabbed the lunch his wife made for him early in the morning May 3 and took off for his job at a new construction project on the Travis Air Force base in Fairfield. But the 37-year-old father of three from San Rafael didn’t return home.

Mejia and a coworker, Rodrigo Nuñez from Hayward — both undocumented immigrants from Jalisco, Mexico who have been in the United States for more than a decade — were detained on the base after a military official discovered they did not have valid social security numbers during a routine identification screening and reported them to Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

ICE officials have placed both men in expedited deportation proceedings without a court hearing — known formally as “reinstatement” — because they each have old removal orders issued more than a decade ago after border agents caught them attempting to illegally cross the border. Neither of them has criminal records, according to their attorney.

Their plight has drawn sympathy and support from friends, neighbors and immigrant rights activists who say the men are being swept up in an illegal immigration crackdown that was supposed to focus on felons, not people whose only offense was entering the country illegally.

“The first thing that came to my mind was why me?” Mejia said in Spanish during a phone interview with this news organization from the Rio Cosumnes Correctional Center where he is being held

He's been in the U.S. for seventeen years and can't speak English ?

I thought immigrants only did jobs that Americans won't do ?

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/12/workers-detained-by-ice-while-doing-construction-job-on-military-base/

Dlr Pyro
05-15-2017, 04:26 PM
“The first thing that came to my mind was why me?” Mejia said in Spanish during a phone interview with this news organization from the Rio Cosumnes Correctional Center where he is being held

because you were living in this Country illegally, that's why you.

Additionally, the contractor who hired him should be fined and barred from receiving any further government contracts.

SaintLouieWoman
05-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Thanks to Trump for having the guts to clean the swamp. The previous presidents were too afraid to enforce our laws.

My question is how did those 2 get on the AF base? I sold to the government for years and needed a valid ID to get on the base. You would think the base would have caught that years ago.