PDA

View Full Version : Not Guilty: Jury Acquits Betty Shelby In Terence Crutcher Shooting

Rockntractor
05-17-2017, 11:17 PM
TULSA, Oklahoma -A jury acquitted Tulsa Police Officer Betty Shelby of manslaughter in the death of Terence Crutcher.
The jury reached the decision after more than nine hours of deliberation.
5/17/2017 Related Story: Jury Reaches Verdict In Betty Shelby Trial After 9 Hours (http://www.newson6.com/story/35450866/betty-shelby-trial-day-8-closing-arguments-begin)
The jury was given the case just after noon Wednesday after hearing closing arguments from the District Attorney and the defense.
Seven hours into deliberations, the jury sent Judge Doug Drummond a note, asking if it could explain its verdict. Drummond said the jurors could announce the verdict in open court but could not give an explanation in open court.
Also during deliberations, Shelby’s team emailed the judge to ask for a mistrial, saying prosecutors used defense exhibits as their own during the trial but then misled the jury during closing arguments.
Moe>http://www.newson6.com/story/35457145/not-guilty-jury-acquits-betty-shelby-in-terence-crutcher-shooting

SVPete
05-18-2017, 08:21 AM
After 7 hours' deliberation the jury asked the judge if they could explain their verdict in court? That's not slam-dunk super short, but that's still on the brief side. Was this a case where there was dash-cam or body-cam video? Sounds like if the jury had the option, the verdict would have been "Innocent" rather than simply "Not Guilty".

Rockntractor
05-18-2017, 08:50 AM
They had lot's of video but it was getting dark. The family said they would accept the verdict whatever it was and then started yelling murder after.

Lanie
05-18-2017, 01:59 PM
Is this the one where his hands are up in the video and no longer near the car he was originally reaching in?

I'm sorry, but this woman was guilty. I think we might as well give the cops a green light to kill because we'll always make an excuse for them. Excuses that never would fly with an ordinary civilian always flies with a cop.

This isn't an endorsement of the BLM movement. They're ridiculous and don't care what the truth is. The thing is if all lives matter, then that would have to include druggies, suspects, and people we consider to be assholes.

I ask people to stop going by a mentality of Black Lives Matter or Blue Lives Matter and actually look at the facts in each case. Stop living on emotion on this subject. Stop picking a side because it's the liberal or the conservative thing to do. Look at the facts.

Rockntractor
05-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Is this the one where his hands are up in the video and no longer near the car he was originally reaching in?

I'm sorry, but this woman was guilty. I think we might as well give the cops a green light to kill because we'll always make an excuse for them. Excuses that never would fly with an ordinary civilian always flies with a cop.

This isn't an endorsement of the BLM movement. They're ridiculous and don't care what the truth is. The thing is if all lives matter, then that would have to include druggies, suspects, and people we consider to be assholes.

I ask people to stop going by a mentality of Black Lives Matter or Blue Lives Matter and actually look at the facts in each case. Stop living on emotion on this subject. Stop picking a side because it's the liberal or the conservative thing to do. Look at the facts.
She was tried by a jury containing black people who heard all the evidence and yet somehow you are more enlightened than anyone else.

noonwitch
05-18-2017, 02:10 PM
I have to agree with Lanie on this one, and on her overall statement about judging each case on it's own merits instead of through either black or blue-tinted lenses.

If I remember correctly, the police had already searched the car and knew there were no weapons in it.

NJCardFan
05-18-2017, 04:05 PM
I have to agree with Lanie on this one, and on her overall statement about judging each case on it's own merits instead of through either black or blue-tinted lenses.

If I remember correctly, the police had already searched the car and knew there were no weapons in it.

No. I wish you and Lanie would get your facts straight. The vehicle was not secured. He was walking away from officers with his hands up then he reached into his car window and ignored the officers orders to step away from the vehicle. I mean, really? Are they supposed to wait and see if he has a weapon? Simply put, all he had to do was lie on the ground as ordered instead of ignoring police orders and going back to his vehicle and reaching in. There is video and a cursory google search would have showed you that Dep. Shelby was in the right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmIfTEZRBko

SVPete
05-18-2017, 06:58 PM
No. I wish you and Lanie would get your facts straight. The vehicle was not secured. He was walking away from officers with his hands up then he reached into his car window and ignored the officers orders to step away from the vehicle. I mean, really? Are they supposed to wait and see if he has a weapon? Simply put, all he had to do was lie on the ground as ordered instead of ignoring police orders and going back to his vehicle and reaching in. There is video and a cursory google search would have showed you that Dep. Shelby was in the right here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmIfTEZRBko

IOW, it looked like he was trying to lull the officer into relaxing her guard before reaching into his vehicle; whatever he actually was doing, he forced a shoot-or-risk-being-shot decision on the officer. Further, had he simply lain on the ground as ordered or on the hood of the police car - not exactly difficult things to do - he would be alive today.

The jury decision was correct. And while the verdict decision was not made within minutes of the preliminary paperwork being done, the OP article makes clear that the several hours' deliberation was due to the jury taking extra care to confirm what they knew was correct.