PDA

View Full Version : My Top 10 in Horror...

DarkScribe
06-17-2008, 09:25 PM
So Shannon & I are watching that special on CBS, the AFL's 10 Top 10 (films of all-time), and they have it broken down into genre categories like Animation, Romantic Comedies, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, etc etc...but NO Horror...needless to say I was a bit perturbed by this gross omission...here is mine (listed in no order of importance), so feel free to share yours:

1) Night of the Living Dead (the original and still a classic)

2) Halloween (the first one...)

3) The Haunting (the original, not the ridiculous remake)

4) Jaws (scared the shit out of me as a kid and made me want to stay out of the ocean for a while)

5) Alien (yes, Alien...to me this is just a horror movie in outer space)

6) The Exorcist (for its time, and still stands the test of time today, extremely graphic and chilling)

7) The Shining (the movie not the miniseries...the movie was very different from the King novel but had a distinct air of menace largely thanks to Nicholson's awesome performance)

8) Wolf Creek (recently done, obviously, loosely based on actual events and one of the lines of dialogue from the movie makes my lovely wife cringe...and no, I won't say it here lest dorks like JV plague her with it constantly! :p But seriously, this movie was SO believable and realistic it was very very frightening)

9) Creature from the Black Lagoon (yeah, kinda cheesy but this movie always creeped me out as a kid)

10) The Thing (the John Carpenter remake...I am a HUGE fan of JC and I love this movie! Kurt Russell's character was perfect and the special FX were the cutting edge of super-graphic for its time)

Lager
06-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Excellent list! I would agree with most of them. Anyone remember a movie called "The Other"? about some kid who may or may not have killed his little brother. I don't remember all the details. That scared the heck out of me. "Village of the Damned" I might add as well.

patriot45
06-17-2008, 09:50 PM
So Shannon & I are watching that special on CBS, the AFL's 10 Top 10 (films of all-time), and they have it broken down into genre categories like Animation, Romantic Comedies, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, etc etc...but NO Horror...needless to say I was a bit perturbed by this gross omission...here is mine (listed in no order of importance), so feel free to share yours:

4) Jaws (scared the shit out of me as a kid and made me want to stay out of the ocean for a while)

6) The Exorcist (for its time, and still stands the test of time today, extremely graphic and chilling)

7) The Shining (the movie not the miniseries...the movie was very different from the King novel but had a distinct air of menace largely thanks to Nicholson's awesome performance)

8) Wolf Creek (recently done, obviously, loosely based on actual events and one of the lines of dialogue from the movie makes my lovely wife cringe...and no, I won't say it here lest dorks like JV plague her with it constantly! :p But seriously, this movie was SO believable and realistic it was very very frightening)

9) Creature from the Black Lagoon (yeah, kinda cheesy but this movie always creeped me out as a kid)

10) The Thing (the John Carpenter remake...I am a HUGE fan of JC and I love this movie! Kurt Russell's character was perfect and the special FX were the cutting edge of super-graphic for its time)

Great list, last nite I watched Grindhouse, way cool. I was a big fan of Mystery Theater 2000, I love "B" grade horror movies!
My wife cringes when there is nothing on and I flick over to Sci-Fi channel and watch whatever is on, like Original Sci-fi movie!!
I have Wolf Creek and haven't watched it yet, it goes on tomorrow.

P.S. My parents went to see The Night Of The Living Dead in the drive in when I was young. They thought I was asleep in the back of the car.... NOT!!! Best horror movie ever!

BSR
06-17-2008, 09:54 PM
why do you have to bring me into this?:mad::p

BSR
06-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Great list, last nite I watched Grindhouse, way cool. I was a big fan of Mystery Theater 2000, I love "B" grade horror movies!
My wife cringes when there is nothing on and I flick over to Sci-Fi channel and watch whatever is on, like Original Sci-fi movie!!

P.S. My parents went to see The Night Of The Living Dead in the drive in when I was young. They thought I was asleep in the back of the car.... NOT!!! Best horror movie ever!

I liked grindhouse up till the kid accidentally shoots himself in the car. Then I got upset, and turned it off.

asdf2231
Dawn of the dead. The remake.

Best Zombie Film Ever.

patriot45
why do you have to bring me into this?:mad::p

Are you the "OTHER"?

BSR
06-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Are you the "OTHER"?

no, but I am a BOTHER.

patriot45
06-17-2008, 09:57 PM
I liked grindhouse up till the kid accidentally shoots himself in the car. Then I got upset, and turned it off.

Yea, that was over the top, but the whole movie was over the top!!!
How did you like the end to "The Mist"?

BSR
06-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Yea, that was over the top, but the whole mov ie was ov er the top!!!

never saw it.

Shannon
06-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Yea, that was over the top, but the whole mov ie was ov er the top!!!

I hated the book ending and the movie ending.

Space Gravy
06-17-2008, 09:59 PM
In my humble opinion The Exorcist is number 1 and the others don't matter.

patriot45
06-17-2008, 10:00 PM
never saw it.

I was talking to asdf#s, but you should see it , great silliesness! Wait till Linda#s sees that word!

patriot45
06-17-2008, 10:01 PM
I hated the book ending and the movie ending.

The book ending left you wanting more. The movie ending left you wanting to kill that sissy.

Shannon
06-17-2008, 10:03 PM
The first Nightmare on Elm street scared the hell out of me. I think The Omen and The Changeling are excellent scary movies too.

BSR
06-17-2008, 10:04 PM
my favorite horror is the original Japanese version of "The Grudge". Ju-on. That movie freaked me the hell out. :eek:

Shannon
06-17-2008, 10:05 PM
In my humble opinion The Exorcist is number 1 and the others don't matter.

I really don't get why that movie tops everybodys lists. It's almost comical. (the movie, I mean)

patriot45
06-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Ha, another great B horror movie I watched not too long ago- C.H.U.D ! Check out thier sideburns!

Shannon
06-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Ha, another great B horror movie I watched not too long ago- C.H.U.D ! Check out thier sideburns!

Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers! Classic!:D

patriot45
06-17-2008, 10:13 PM
I really don't get why that movie tops everybodys lists. It's almost comical. (the movie, I mean)

That movie came out 35 years ago, now its comical, back then- nightmares!!:eek:

DarkScribe
06-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers! Classic!:D

See why I married her? She knows her corny, cheesy 80's horror flicks! :p

DarkScribe
06-17-2008, 10:17 PM

I didn't leave these other two out but for the sake of ONLY listing 10...my other two favorites would be Poltergeist and The Howling...

DarkScribe
06-17-2008, 10:19 PM

I want to see the 2nd part of Grindhouse....Planet Terror....I liked the first part...umm, Death-something...the killer stunt car driver, ya know...Kurt Russell was great in that, too. I'm a big fan of Tarantino/Rodriguez (From Dusk Till Dawn is a campy, fun flick...well, fun in a horror movie kinda way)

patriot45
06-17-2008, 10:20 PM
I didn't leave these other two out but for the sake of ONLY listing 10...my other two favorites would be Poltergeist and The Howling...

The Howling was good, but The Wolfen was better, and I'll raise you one Phantasm!!:D

DarkScribe
06-17-2008, 10:20 PM

What about Phantasm? A 70's horror classic!:D

BSR
06-17-2008, 10:21 PM
The Howling was good, but The Wolfen was better, and I'll raise you one Phantasm!!:D

Ohhhh. Phantasm scared the shit out me as a kid..

patriot45
I want to see the 2nd part of Grindhouse....Planet Terror....I liked the first part...umm, Death-something...the killer stunt car driver, ya know...Kurt Russell was great in that, too. I'm a big fan of Tarantino/Rodriguez (From Dusk Till Dawn is a campy, fun flick...well, fun in a horror movie kinda way)

I saw the second part, with the killer zombies and the killer bbq!!!:D

DarkScribe

Dude, I disagree about Wolfen (liked it but Howling works better for me) but we said Phantasm at virtually the same time...too funny...

patriot45
06-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Dude, I disagree about Wolfen (liked it but Howling works better for me) but we said Phantasm at virtually the same time...too funny...

Haha, your bet! Another one that is good is The Descent, I liked it.

patriot45
06-17-2008, 10:24 PM

But did you see Albert Finneys sideburns!!!:D

DarkScribe
06-17-2008, 10:26 PM
But did you see Albert Finneys sideburns!!!:D

I remember them...them big ol' mutton-chops, practically...I also thought that film from several years back, Ravenous, was pretty damn good, too.

patriot45
06-17-2008, 10:28 PM
I remember them...them big ol' mutton-chops, practically...I also thought that film from several years back, Ravenous, was pretty damn good, too.

Alert, Jason X is on sci-fi at 11:00.
What did you think about the rest of the Phantasm movies? I thought Reggie never aged, but Michael did!

DarkScribe
06-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Pat, check this link out. It's for the indie film made a few years ago from Ed Lee' s novella, Header. It isn't out on DVD yet but hopefully soon:

http://www.whatsaheader.com/

Warning...not for the faint of heart. :eek:

DarkScribe
06-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Alert, Jason X is on sci-fi at 11:00.
What did you think about the rest of the Phantasm movies? I thought Reggie never aged, but Michael did!

Ya know, I saw the second one and liked it...don't recall if I saw the others...but yeah, Reggie didn't seem to age at all really, but I guess the "kid" hit puberty and grew the hell up...

BSR
06-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Anyone seen Otis? I saw it advertised somewhere and thought it might be something fun to rent when I'm bored.

patriot45
06-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Ya know, I saw the second one and liked it...don't recall if I saw the others...but yeah, Reggie didn't seem to age at all really, but I guess the "kid" hit puberty and grew the hell up...

I'll check your link, but here is little Mikey!

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/phantasm_shot2l.jpg

patriot45
06-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Pat, check this link out. It's for the indie film made a few years ago from Ed Lee' s novella, Header. It isn't out on DVD yet but hopefully soon:

http://www.whatsaheader.com/

Warning...not for the faint of heart. :eek:

Cool link, looks like crazy people, not quite horror. By the way I saw that old man in the trailer in the Elks club tonite! :eek:

Is Header one of the books you mailed to me!!:D

Shannon
06-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Cool link, looks like crazy people, not quite horror. By the way I saw that old man in the trailer in the Elks club tonite! :eek:

I just want to let you know that I placed those books on the counter next to his wallet so that he would remember to mail them to you. They've been there for days. Looks like I'll have to do it.:rolleyes:

DarkScribe
06-17-2008, 11:06 PM

Oh no...it (Header) is very much horror. I will get those out to you in the mail Thursday.

megimoo
06-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Hellhouse,Carmella, All about Lesbian Vampires.,Bram Stokerís Dracula (1992),Black Sunday (1960),Nosferatu (1922),The Picture of Dorian Gray, And for for the cheese.....The Little Shop of Horrors ,The Evil Dead.

Speedy
06-18-2008, 01:27 AM
The Hills have Eyes that came out a couple of years ago. Very, very good. Near Dark, very good vampire movie. It may seem cheesy now, but at the time The Beast Within scared the crap out of me. People actually ran out of the theater.

Space Gravy
06-18-2008, 07:32 AM

I guess I liked because the it scared the you know what out of me without rivers of fake blood, cartoonish puppet monsters, and millions of dollars of special effects. It was a great story. I'm not sure if it qualifies as horror or not but I thought The Sixth Sense was also very good.

DarkScribe
06-18-2008, 07:50 AM
I guess I liked because the it scared the you know what out of me without rivers of fake blood, cartoonish puppet monsters, and millions of dollars of special effects. It was a great story. I'm not sure if it qualifies as horror or not but I thought The Sixth Sense was also very good.

I agree, about The Sixth Sense. M. Night's new one, The Happening, looks pretty good, too. (All his movies are very good, especially Signs and Unbreakable) I suppose I would include The Sixth Sense in my all-time list, too, but I was trying for movies that have stood the test of time...classics....although that would exclude Wolf Creek, then. But that flick really freaked us both out.

DarkScribe
06-18-2008, 07:53 AM
The Hills have Eyes that came out a couple of years ago. Very, very good. Near Dark, very good vampire movie. It may seem cheesy now, but at the time The Beast Within scared the crap out of me. People actually ran out of the theater.

I have never seen The Beast Within but have heard of it (what you said about it). The Hills remake was good for a remake. Near Dark is a decent vampire movie trying to do something different with vampires. I liked the concept.

Generally, horror classic remakes suck. The Psycho remake was terrible,Texas Chainsaw Massacre was lame...I haven't seen the Rob Zombie remake of Halloween, but I want to just because I am a fan of his music and films.

linda22003
06-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Horror is pretty much my favorite genre (and its subset, the Giant Bug Movies of the 1950s). In no particular order, here are my top 10:

1. Frankenstein (1931) Great camera and shadow work.
2. Nosferatu (1922) An excellent monster, and creepy film effects.
3. Night of the Hunter (1955) Children vs. a monster in human form.
4. Freaks (1932) - still disturbing after all these years.
5. Bride of Frankenstein (1935) Campy rather than horrifying, but still a classic.
6. Dead of Night (1947) - short haunted vignettes, including the classic ventriloquist and evil dummy story
7. Don't Look Now (1973)
8. The Body Snatcher (1945)
9. Phantom of the Opera (1925 version only)
10. The Thing (1982 - one of the only remakes I can think of that's better than the original!)

DarkScribe
06-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Horror is pretty much my favorite genre (and its subset, the Giant Bug Movies of the 1950s). In no particular order, here are my top 10:

1. Frankenstein (1931) Great camera and shadow work.
2. Nosferatu (1922) An excellent monster, and creepy film effects.
3. Night of the Hunter (1955) Children vs. a monster in human form.
4. Freaks (1932) - still disturbing after all these years.
5. Bride of Frankenstein (1935) Campy rather than horrifying, but still a classic.
6. Dead of Night (1947) - short haunted vignettes, including the classic ventriloquist and evil dummy story
7. Don't Look Now (1973)
8. The Body Snatcher (1945)
9. Phantom of the Opera (1925 version only)
10. The Thing (1982 - one of the only remakes I can think of that's better than the original!)

Good choices, Linda. Some of those "classics" I have to admit I have not seen yet. And I agree with you about JC's The Thing...and I have seen the original, which is good...but you cannot compare to the 1982 version. (Although I still cringe at the scene with the dogs in the pen)

Molon Labe
06-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Great List. I used to be a big horror fan too.

I'm partial to the original Halloween topping most of my lists or Psycho.

Check out "Night of the Hunter" - this one get's missed, but very influential and Robert Mitchum sets the bar for creepy.

linda22003
06-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Obviously my choices are heavily black and white, but I think good light and shadow work is important in the horror genre, and black and white is very evocative. The remake of "The Thing" has my favorite all-purpose, generic line for a horror film (when you hear the dogs yowling out in the pen):

"I don't know what that thing is out there, but it's real weird and pissed off."

linda22003
06-18-2008, 08:47 AM
Check out "Night of the Hunter" - this one get's missed, but very influential and Robert Mitchum sets the bar for creepy.

Yep. Again, light and shadow - it's Charles Laughton's only directorial effort, and he certainly understood German Expressionist film. The scenes on the basement stairs could have come straight from "Dr. Caligari".

My husband has never cared for horror films, so to get him to see this one, I sold it to him as a "Robert Mitchum film". He went for that. By the time he read the back of the video box "Pauline Kael says, one of the most frightening films ever made...." it was too late. :p

Lillian Gish doesn't misspeak when she calls the police at the end of the film to tell them, "I've got something trapped in my barn."

Space Gravy
06-18-2008, 09:11 AM
I agree, about The Sixth Sense. M. Night's new one, The Happening, looks pretty good, too. (All his movies are very good, especially Signs and Unbreakable) I suppose I would include The Sixth Sense in my all-time list, too, but I was trying for movies that have stood the test of time...classics....although that would exclude Wolf Creek, then. But that flick really freaked us both out.

I also really liked The Village.

Rebel Yell
06-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Dawn of the dead. The remake.

Best Zombie Film Ever.

Dawn of the Dead was good, but I liked 28 Weeks Later.

Molon Labe
06-18-2008, 10:13 AM
I also really liked The Village.

Shyamalan is very good at mood and suspense, but I've thought some of his endings cheated.

I think his two best are Sixth Sense and Signs. I didn't mind The Village.

DarkScribe
06-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Shyamalan is very good at mood and suspense, but I've thought some of his endings cheated.

Hmm. I think some of his endings have been very very good. His weakest film to date was the last one, Lady in the Water. While I enjoyed it, it wasn't as strong as the others.

DarkScribe
06-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Dawn of the Dead was good, but I liked 28 Weeks Later.

I'm old school with zombie flicks. The original George Romero movies. For its time, the first DotD was extremely visceral and gory, with the special FX. I did like the different spin of zombies with 28. The first one. I liked the idea of zombies as intelligent, fast killers instead of lumbering brainless flesh-eaters.

Space Gravy
06-18-2008, 10:30 AM

Maybe one of you two that know more about him than me can enlighten me on his obsession with the color red?

DarkScribe
06-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Maybe one of you two that know more about him than me can enlighten me on his obsession with the color red?

Damn, I know this from an interview....ummm...shoot...I know that he uses a lot of symbolism in his movies, like water.

Gingersnap
06-18-2008, 10:38 AM
The Legend of Hell House
The Exorcist
Curse of the Demon
The Ring (U.S. version)
The Black Cat
The Haunting (original)
Freaks
Halloween
Hellraiser
Night of the Living Dead

For sheer goofy horror:

The Final Destination movies, Near Dark, and Night of the Comet.

BSR
06-18-2008, 10:44 AM
The Legend of Hell House
The Exorcist
Curse of the Demon
The Ring (U.S. version)
The Black Cat
The Haunting (original)
Freaks
Halloween
Hellraiser
Night of the Living Dead

For sheer goofy horror:

Ringu was much better than the Ring. It actually dove into why the little girl had powers, and what made her snap.

LogansPapa
06-18-2008, 10:46 AM
What about Phantasm? A 70's horror classic!:D

Outstanding.

One of my favorites. And the original ten listed are spot-on also. The only one I might add is a sleeper and a thinking personís horror movie because of the psychological twists: The Innocents (1961), with Deborah Kerr - a b/w classic. Watch it all the way through and youíll sleep with the lights on. :eek:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhqQEnASvJ0

DarkScribe
06-18-2008, 10:46 AM
The Legend of Hell House
The Exorcist
Curse of the Demon
The Ring (U.S. version)
The Black Cat
The Haunting (original)
Freaks
Halloween
Hellraiser
Night of the Living Dead

For sheer goofy horror:

The first Hellraiser was good...the subsequent sequels ridiculous. For goofy horror I like the first Tremors film. Love that movie!

Gingersnap
06-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Ringu was much better than the Ring. It actually dove into why the little girl had powers, and what made her snap.

I'd have to disagree. Although Ringu had more backstory, it didn't creep me out the way The Ring did. Now, don't get me wrong - like all normal people, I wanted the mother to just kill herself within 5 minutes but the rest of it was very good.

biccat
06-18-2008, 10:58 AM
I don't care what the critics said, House of 1000 Corpses scared the hell out of me. And I don't usually get scared at movies.

movie buff
06-18-2008, 12:19 PM
My choices, in no order:
1. 'Sleepy Hollow'
2. 'Nightmare on Elm Street' 1 and 3 (Part 3, 'Dream Warriors,' was an excellent film which doesn't get anywhere near as much respect as it deserves).
3. Original 'Halloween'
4. 'Joy Ride'
5. 'The Lost Boys'
6. 'Final Destination' 1 and 3 (I never saw 2)
7. 'Scream' (Worked great as an analysis/ satire of slasher films, and was pretty scary)
8. 'The Shining'
9. 'An American Werewolf in London'
10. 'Bubba Ho- Tep' (More comedy than horror, but an excellent movie).
I left off Stephen King's 'It' and 'Rose Red' because they weren't theatrical films, they were made- for- TV.

Molon Labe
06-18-2008, 12:26 PM
How about these lesser known gems...some kind of tongue in cheek and over the top...but excellent

April Fools Day - The original...don't worry about the new version.

Reanimator - Classic...unbelievably over the top!!!

Henry - based on he serial killer...This is gory and pretty well done.

Phantasm - crazy and creepy ---Remember "The Ball"?

American Werewolf in London - another funny horror flik

Creepshow - some pretty good shortstory horror.

Shannon
06-18-2008, 12:31 PM
American Werewolf in London - another funny horror flik

Creepshow - some pretty good shortstory horror.

I love American Werewolf in London. Creepshow was great...except for that last story.

Molon Labe
06-18-2008, 12:37 PM
I love American Werewolf in London. Creepshow was great...except for that last story.

Was that the one about the Bugs?! kinda liked it. :o

noonwitch
06-18-2008, 02:41 PM
I never have seen The Excorcist in a form not edited for broadcast television. Luckily, I was not home the night my brother made my sister watch it on HBO!

The Omen scared the daylights out of me when I saw it for the first time-I was about 12. Growing up in a liberal church, I had never gotten to read the Revelation before seeing the movie. So after seeing the movie, I went and read it and got even more scared.

The Shining scared me, but I was on a date with my high school boyfriend and I kind of wanted to be scared.

The Ring didn't scare me when I was watching it, but I had really bad and weird dreams that night after watching it. When I saw it, I thought I was immune to scary movies, because I really hadn't been scared by a movie since I was a teen.

Halloween was scary the first time I saw it. Lots of moments that made me jump.

Carrie scared my mom when we watched it (the hand popping out of the ground at the end made her scream), but it didn't scare me. I was the kid with cooties, so I could relate to the poor girl.

Zafod
06-18-2008, 03:20 PM
am I the only one that thought the blair witch was fucking creapy?

Gingersnap
06-18-2008, 03:27 PM

Yes................

Zafod
06-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Yes................

really? you didnt think it was a little bit creapy?

BSR
06-18-2008, 03:57 PM

No, you arent the only one.. It was a unique scary movie that I thougth was pulled off well, with such a small budget.

Molon Labe
06-18-2008, 04:09 PM

No....that was excellent. Just not on my top 10. Definetely worth seeing.

Shannon
06-18-2008, 10:11 PM
No....that was excellent. Just not on my top 10. Definetely worth seeing.

Excellent?!!! I laughed through the whole stupid movie! That was a first date movie with someone. I insisted on seeing the stupid movie. I'm surprised he ever called me again.

BSR
06-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Excellent?!!! I laughed through the whole stupid movie! That was a first date movie with someone. I insisted on seeing the stupid movie. I'm surprised he ever called me again.

Your husband lets you date? :confused:

DarkScribe
06-18-2008, 10:59 PM
I'd have to disagree. Although Ringu had more backstory, it didn't creep me out the way The Ring did. Now, don't get me wrong - like all normal people, I wanted the mother to just kill herself within 5 minutes but the rest of it was very good.

I never saw Ringu but The Ring was excellent...proof that 'intelligent' horror movies can be made. I know some diehard horror movie fans love Dario Argento's stuff....I tried watching Suspiria many many years ago and stopped halfway through it. Just didn't get it. But I'd like to give his legendary films another shot sometime. And the Japanese (again, to the diehards) have been making some of the most effed up horror flicks out there lately.

DarkScribe
06-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Your husband lets you date? :confused:

And your wife let's you out of the house? Oh wait...that's right...she can't...that damn court order thing...:D

DarkScribe
06-18-2008, 11:01 PM
My choices, in no order:
1. 'Sleepy Hollow'
2. 'Nightmare on Elm Street' 1 and 3 (Part 3, 'Dream Warriors,' was an excellent film which doesn't get anywhere near as much respect as it deserves).
3. Original 'Halloween'
4. 'Joy Ride'
5. 'The Lost Boys'
6. 'Final Destination' 1 and 3 (I never saw 2)
7. 'Scream' (Worked great as an analysis/ satire of slasher films, and was pretty scary)
8. 'The Shining'
9. 'An American Werewolf in London'
10. 'Bubba Ho- Tep' (More comedy than horror, but an excellent movie).
I left off Stephen King's 'It' and 'Rose Red' because they weren't theatrical films, they were made- for- TV.

Great choices! Lost Boys, Nightmare #1, and American Werewolf are good scream-flicks.

DarkScribe
06-18-2008, 11:04 PM
I don't care what the critics said, House of 1000 Corpses scared the hell out of me. And I don't usually get scared at movies.

Yeah, buddy. Rob Zombie is one effed up, dude, but I love 'em. House of 1000 Corpses was unique in what he tried to do with it, although I think most people probably didn't get it. Devil's Rejects--while a wholly different film--was good, too.

BSR
06-18-2008, 11:29 PM
And your wife let's you out of the house? Oh wait...that's right...she can't...that damn court order thing...:D

http://www.yeraze.com/images/library/Image/neat/sense.jpg

DarkScribe
06-19-2008, 08:07 AM
http://www.yeraze.com/images/library/Image/neat/sense.jpg

Nevermind, dude....it is called a joke...ya know, funny haha....being a smartass...you should know what that is, JV...

DarkScribe
06-19-2008, 08:13 AM
No, you arent the only one.. It was a unique scary movie that I thougth was pulled off well, with such a small budget.

While I admired the format, the huge amount of hype surrounding that film before it even broke, and the TV special documentary that aired before the movie (which was actually more chilling than the film itself), BWP broke one of the cardinal rules of storytelling...halfway through the movie I was sick and tired of the three kids and all their bickering and arguing....you hated them because they were so stupid and couldn't pull themselves together (in the least) to try and figure a way out of their predicament...I mean, we all know "victims" in horror movies do stupid things...that's the point, really...but I found myself rooting for the "witch" to kill them and couldn't wait for the end to come. However, the last camera shot at the very end, where something gets the kids holding the camera and it falls to the (basement?) floor, at that weird slanted angle, the screaming, then dead silence as that happened was one of the most effectively terrifying scenes in a movie ever. You wanted to know, to see what that witch was...or whoever or whatever got to the kids...but you were left with that little unknown fact...it was brilliant...and almost worth that trio's mindless juvenile fighting.

BSR
06-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Nevermind, dude....it is called a joke...ya know, funny haha....being a smartass...you should know what that is, JV...

One thing about text is you cant really tell the level of snark and humor in it. I am always kidding and you wont upset me.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled snarkfest. :D

BSR
06-19-2008, 09:33 AM
While I admired the format, the huge amount of hype surrounding that film before it even broke, and the TV special documentary that aired before the movie (which was actually more chilling than the film itself), BWP broke one of the cardinal rules of storytelling...halfway through the movie I was sick and tired of the three kids and all their bickering and arguing....you hated them because they were so stupid and couldn't pull themselves together (in the least) to try and figure a way out of their predicament...I mean, we all know "victims" in horror movies do stupid things...that's the point, really...but I found myself rooting for the "witch" to kill them and couldn't wait for the end to come. However, the last camera shot at the very end, where something gets the kids holding the camera and it falls to the (basement?) floor, at that weird slanted angle, the screaming, then dead silence as that happened was one of the most effectively terrifying scenes in a movie ever. You wanted to know, to see what that witch was...or whoever or whatever got to the kids...but you were left with that little unknown fact...it was brilliant...and almost worth that trio's mindless juvenile fighting.

Didn't they really start the who viral thing? I remember going to websites that had the supposed "real documentations" of the case of their disappearance. I agree the acting was horrible, but the concept was brilliant.

Gingersnap
06-19-2008, 09:39 AM

No, I didn't. Part of the problem was that I had no sympathy or interest in the victims. They were just a collection of foul-mouthed drunks who weren't even amusing. I'm sure their mothers loved them but I just didn't care what happened to them.

Another problem was the camera work (the "device"). For me, jiggly handheld camera work is another reminder that I am watching a movie. It doesn't make the scene more real for me. I understand what they were trying to do - they just failed.

The last straw was the whole 'fear of sticks' thing. I'm not afraid of woods or sticks. To a kid who never goes outside or who has never camped out, I guess sticks could be alarming but it didn't work for me.

DarkScribe
06-19-2008, 11:17 AM
No, I didn't. Part of the problem was that I had no sympathy or interest in the victims. They were just a collection of foul-mouthed drunks who weren't even amusing. I'm sure their mothers loved them but I just didn't care what happened to them.

Another problem was the camera work (the "device"). For me, jiggly handheld camera work is another reminder that I am watching a movie. It doesn't make the scene more real for me. I understand what they were trying to do - they just failed.

The last straw was the whole 'fear of sticks' thing. I'm not afraid of woods or sticks. To a kid who never goes outside or who has never camped out, I guess sticks could be alarming but it didn't work for me.

Now if the kids stumbled upon a dirty bathroom, oh the horror!!! :eek:

Gingersnap
06-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Now if the kids stumbled upon a dirty bathroom, oh the horror!!! :eek:

Filthy public bathrooms are horrifying. Small bundles of sticks are not. Everybody knows this. :p

BSR
06-19-2008, 02:47 PM

http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/funny-dog-pictures-smug-dog-feels-superior.jpg

DarkScribe
06-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Filthy public bathrooms are horrifying. Small bundles of sticks are not. Everybody knows this. :p

What about small bundles of sticks in a filthy, muck-covered bathroom? ;)