PDA

View Full Version : Aussies Using booze Warning Labels To Maximize Drunk Time.

Gingersnap
11-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Drink labels used to choose the strongest mix

By Tory Shepherd and Laura Anderson
The Advertiser
November 24, 2008 02:11am

THE young are using alcohol labels to work out the fastest, cheapest way to get drunk.
A study of university students found they use the information on the labels - meant to encourage responsible drinking - to pick stronger drinks.

The results of the study will be presented today at the Australasian Professional Society on Alcohol and other Drugs Conference in Sydney.

Lead researcher Professor Sandra Jones, from the University of Wollongong, said the study participants understood the standard drink labels, but used the information in a way "contrary to what is intended".

"Instead of encouraging more responsible drinking choices and thus reducing exposure to potential alcohol-related harm, it has had the reverse effect," she said. "Young people in the study use drink labels to help them choose stronger drinks to increase or even maximise their alcohol consumption.

"They also use the labelling to reduce the amount of liquid consumed; reduce the time taken to get drunk."

Awkward. I have to laugh, though. Here is just another example of why education isn't necessarily the panacea that people think it is. :D

Drunk (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24696117-421,00.html)

jinxmchue
11-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Back in the Apple II days, I had a disk from a computer magazine that had some free programs on them. One was a blood alcohol content predictor. You choose your alcohol, enter number of hours drinking and drinks per hour. My friends and I had a ball seeing how high we could get the percentage. I remember that if it got sufficiently high, the program would announce, "YOU WILL BE DEAD!"