PDA

View Full Version : Insane?

Gingersnap
11-24-2008, 08:26 PM
My boss is retiring shortly. I'm organizing the retirement party. I was considering making about 5 loaves of white and rye sourdough bread as part of the feasting. I only have the one starter so I would have to bake a loaf or two every weekend for a few weeks and freeze the loaves. Then I would have to thaw them before the Big Day.

Generally, I only freeze dog bread so I don't know if this type of bread would thaw well.

Ideas?

Phillygirl
11-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Don't you have grocery stores out there?

Gingersnap
11-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Don't you have grocery stores out there?

Gosh a Goshen! I think we have two or three that I recall.

My sourdough bread is to die for. It's so good that the blind see, the lame walk, and the lawyers simply cry.

It's that good. :D

Bubba Dawg
11-24-2008, 08:38 PM

My sourdough bread is to die for. It's so good that the blind see, the lame walk, and the lawyers simply cry.

Feed the lawyers dog bread. :p:D

Gingersnap
11-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Feed the lawyers dog bread. :p:D

They'd sue. It's pretty terrible.

BadCat
11-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Dog bread can't be worse than bird bread.

That stuff has a whole can of creamed corn in it - and egg shells.

Phillygirl
11-24-2008, 08:50 PM

Real lawyers don't cry. Ever.

Bubba Dawg
11-24-2008, 08:51 PM
I have never frozen anything but hot dog buns. That really didn't turn out well.

I did find this:

Can I freeze my bread?
Yes, remove it from the bag, wrap the loaf or rolls in heavy duty aluminum foil and place it back in the bag and freeze. To thaw, place the bread on the counter for 6 to 7 hours. When completely thawed you can place it in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes and have oven fresh bread. Sorry, the morning bread loaves can not be reheated this way.

at this site:

http://sourdoughlady.com/faq.php

Zeus
11-24-2008, 08:51 PM
The dude is retiring. Get him a bottle of booze and a hooker. Not a damn loaf of sour dough. :p

Gingersnap
11-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Real lawyers don't cry. Ever.

They would if they had to eat dog bread.

Back to the topic. People have said that thawed real bread is fine if eaten the same day (which I could do) but I don't want to go to the work if it's less than stellar.

Phillygirl
11-24-2008, 08:58 PM
They would if they had to eat dog bread.

Back to the topic. People have said that thawed real bread is fine if eaten the same day (which I could do) but I don't want to go to the work if it's less than stellar.

I don't understand why you can't make them all in one day.

JB
11-24-2008, 09:09 PM
Back to the topic. People have said that thawed real bread is fine if eaten the same day (which I could do) but I don't want to go to the work if it's less than stellar.Just run a test. Make a loaf. Freeze it. Thaw it. Try it. If it blows, then you'll know.

Bubba Dawg
11-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Just run a test. Make a loaf. Freeze it. Thaw it. Try it. If it blows, then you'll know.

That is a good idea.

Phillygirl
11-24-2008, 09:14 PM
That is a good idea.

Don't be overly impressed. I heard it's his dating technique as well.

JB
11-24-2008, 09:19 PM
That is a good idea.phillygirl snark notwithstanding, it's a burden being the smartest guy in the room.

Bubba Dawg
11-24-2008, 09:24 PM
phillygirl snark notwithstanding, it's a burden being the smartest guy in the room.

I am in awe of you. :D

Bubba Dawg
11-24-2008, 09:25 PM
Don't be overly impressed. I heard it's his dating technique as well.

Long drive to deep centerfield that ball is....GONE!!! Home Run!!!!:D

Gingersnap
11-24-2008, 10:02 PM
You people are completely unsympathetic to my problem. Except JB. Maybe.

Bubba Dawg
11-24-2008, 10:08 PM
You people are completely unsympathetic to my problem. Except JB. Maybe.

Hey, I resemble that remark. I quoted a website about sourdough. :cool:

Me and JB are definitely upper crust.

Everybody else? Just crumbs.

megimoo
11-24-2008, 10:22 PM
My boss is retiring shortly. I'm organizing the retirement party. I was considering making about 5 loaves of white and rye sourdough bread as part of the feasting. I only have the one starter so I would have to bake a loaf or two every weekend for a few weeks and freeze the loaves. Then I would have to thaw them before the Big Day.

Generally, I only freeze dog bread so I don't know if this type of bread would thaw well.

Ideas?Take the starter that you have feed it and take half of it and add a few cups of potato buds add a half teaspoon of instant yeast and warn pure water and allow it to blossom in a warm oven .It should pickup the tang and fizz up .Grow a double batch of starter and keep it warm .After a few days you should have all of the sourdough starter you need.

Gingersnap
11-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Take the starter that you have feed it and take half of it and add a few cups of potato buds add a half teaspoon of instant yeast and warn pure water and allow it to blossom in a warm oven .It should pickup the tang and fizz up .Grow a double batch of starter and keep it warm .After a few days you should have all of the sourdough starter you need.

Uh, not so much Moo. Not only is my starter way too pure for this kind of thing, my own time doesn't work out this way. I would really to freeze the loaves.

megimoo
11-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Uh, not so much Moo. Not only is my starter way too pure for this kind of thing, my own time doesn't work out this way. I would really to freeze the loaves.Is it of virgin birth ?If you don't mind telling me how did you came to have such a pure starter .

Gingersnap
11-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Is it of virgin birth ?If you don't mind telling me how did you came to have such a pure starter .

The usual way: I sold my soul to Satan. :D

megimoo
11-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Come on. Don't be stingy snapper !

Bubba Dawg
11-25-2008, 08:56 PM

Yeah, but when you've baked your last loaf here on earth, you're toast. :p