PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on the XBox 360?

Rebel Yell
11-25-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm thinking about getting an XBox 360. I have a PS2 now. I keep hearing about malfunctions and the "Ring of Death". Then I hear that those are problems with the older consoles, and the new ones are fine. I can't afford a PS3, so that's out of the question.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

megimoo
11-25-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm thinking about getting an XBox 360. I have a PS2 now. I keep hearing about malfunctions and the "Ring of Death". Then I hear that those are problems with the older consoles, and the new ones are fine. I can't afford a PS3, so that's out of the question.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Yeah Buy A Wiii .Everything Sony that I purchased failed within the first year !
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24707466-661,00.html

Rebel Yell
11-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Yeah Buy A Wiii .Everything Sony that I purchased failed within the first year !
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24707466-661,00.html

My niece has a Wii. I like it, but it seems more geared to kids.

Sony makes the Playstation. I had one breakdown on me. I took it outside and smashed it with a big rock. Overall, I like my PS2, just can't afford the PS3.

Microsoft makes the XBox.

Dyne
11-25-2008, 03:05 PM

New ones are NOT fine. Trust me. I know from experience...

Anyways, it is a fine system if you can look past its problems. There are two I can think of right now: scratching discs and the Red ring of Death. The 360 tends to... scratch discs that are inside of it with just the littlest of movements. Something as small as walking across the room will end up with a scratch on your disk. I haven't had too much problems with this, however.

The RROD can occur at any time in your systems life or not occur at all. I suggest buying a warranty from the shop your going to buy it at. It happened to me in EXACTLY one year. Instead of actually solving the issue, Microsoft simply raised their warranty. With this problem alone, you have a free 3 year warranty. Problem is it takes months to get it shipped over, repaired, and shipped back.

Rebel Yell
11-25-2008, 03:33 PM

Anyways, it is a fine system if you can look past its problems. There are two I can think of right now: scratching discs and the Red ring of Death. The 360 tends to... scratch discs that are inside of it with just the littlest of movements. Something as small as walking across the room will end up with a scratch on your disk. I haven't had too much problems with this, however.

The RROD can occur at any time in your systems life or not occur at all. I suggest buying a warranty from the shop your going to buy it at. It happened to me in EXACTLY one year. Instead of actually solving the issue, Microsoft simply raised their warranty. With this problem alone, you have a free 3 year warranty. Problem is it takes months to get it shipped over, repaired, and shipped back.

I've seen alot about the RRoD. That's what is making me think I might be better off to just stick with my PS2.

asdf2231
11-25-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm knocking wood here but our 360 has performed pretty flawlessly.

djones520
11-25-2008, 06:22 PM
My Xbox died the week the 360 came out (go figure the odds on that), so I got one of the first ones produced. It's still running pretty well. 3 times since I've bought it, it's just kinda crapped out for a week or two. It's hard to explain what happens, but things just stopped working for the most part. I've never had to do any repairs though, since it always just comes back working like it was brand new. It's actually quite weird.

Given the price, I think it would be worth the investment. I've got a lot of friends with the 360, and none of them have ever had the ring of death... well, not true. I did have a friend whose idiot brother put baloney into the cd slot once... (He was 15.)

Goldwater
11-25-2008, 06:28 PM

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have an "Elite", and have had one for about a year, no problems so far.

By the way, Fallout 3 is great!

marinejcksn
11-26-2008, 07:35 PM
My advice is to take a look at what games you're more interested in. Each system has it's merits; if you played and enjoyed the Metal Gear Solid titles (one of my favorite game series of all time), PS3 holds an advantage because it's exclusive and MGS4 is one of the most incredible games I've ever played. Other then that and the upcoming God of War 3, there isn't much that inspires me to pick the PS3 over the 360. Most games that are multi-platform and come out on both the PS3 and 360 tend to run smoother on the 360. The framerate is faster, the graphics are usually better too. The main reason for this is the 360 is easier to program for and was out longer. Also, while Playstation offers a free online network, Xbox Live is much better by comparison and it's relatively cheap at 50 bucks a year for service.

Also, the PS3 costs more because Sony envisions it to last until 2015, at least. Microsoft, on the other hand is already working on the successor to the XBox 360 and said it plans to release it by 2013. Ditto with Nintendo's follow up to the Wii.

Either way, wait until after XMas to buy. Current projections are that both the PS3 and 360 are going to drop down to a $299.99 price point.

wilbur
11-30-2008, 10:57 AM
I got 360 recently and for the most part it runs great.

It locked up on me once, I think simply because it overheated.

Our entertainment center has glass doors that cover the shelves with the xbox, dvd player and other boxes... the Xbox seems to experience problems if I keep those doors closed while playing it.

You definitely don't want to have any other warm electronics on top of it, or near it really. Havent had it lock up when giving it proper breathing room ;P

newshutr
11-30-2008, 03:45 PM
There are a lot more games to be had with the 360. They just updated the interface of the 360 and it's a lot more user friendly.

I had the RROD but mine was on one of the original ones. I had it fixed for free and it has worked flawlessly.

IMHO, go with the 360. It's cheaper, there are more games for it and the online experience is much better with much more options offered.

OwlMBA
12-01-2008, 02:04 AM
Those are old problems. I got mine last christmas and have played the crap out of it ever since with not a single problem. All of my buddies also have one, and none have had any problems at all.

jazztech
12-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I got advice: Grow a life.

Rebel Yell
12-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I got advice: Grow a life.

Says the man on the internet message board.:rolleyes:

fatboynic
12-04-2008, 10:22 PM
I have the Wii, but sometimes i yearn for a 360. The graphics & games are more enhanced. Wii is fun if you have other's to play with... by yourself - it can get boring

ironhorsedriver
12-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Had to ship my son's back 3 wks ago for RRoD. The XBox site has been saying repairs complete for over a week now. But they haven't shipped it back yet. The RRoD happened just short of 1 year after purchase. he's having a cow to get it back.

Rebel Yell
12-16-2008, 04:13 PM
I decided to just upgrade my surround sound to play through the TV. The one I have now just plays through the DVD player at 100W. The new one will play through everything at 1000W. I told my wife I'd rather have my PS2 with surround saound than a 360 without it.

marinejcksn
12-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Sounds like a kickass system. And you know what, I'm gonna be totally honest with you: PS2 still has life left in it. It's a great, reliable system and now that all the new ones have been out a little while PS2 games are so cheap so you can pick up the good titles you may have missed. I just finished Okami...best PS2 game ever. If you're into zelda titles it's like even more Zelda then zelda and it's not made by nintendo. Kickass. :D

Rebel Yell
12-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Sounds like a kickass system. And you know what, I'm gonna be totally honest with you: PS2 still has life left in it. It's a great, reliable system and now that all the new ones have been out a little while PS2 games are so cheap so you can pick up the good titles you may have missed. I just finished Okami...best PS2 game ever. If you're into zelda titles it's like even more Zelda then zelda and it's not made by nintendo. Kickass. :D

I'm more into the sports titles. I do like Resident Evil 4, I've played it all the way through several times. Ghost Recon 2: Advanced Warfighter is good, too. We are at war with Mexico.

marinejcksn
12-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Great games. RE4 was the reason I bought a Gamecube, then they just brought it over to PS2. :mad:
But RE5 comes out in a few months so I'm definitely buying a new system cuz it looks so damn awesome.

Molon Labe
12-18-2008, 09:23 AM
I went shopping for a system for my son...here's what I found

The Red ring of death is a BIG problem...The PS3 has few if any hardware crashes.

You have to buy the upper packages such as the 360 elite to get the online gaming

You don't have to buy anything special with the Play station to get online.

It's really about preferences on games because the PS and XBOX both have their own line of shooter games...so if you don't mind that you can't play Halo on the PS then that my be your system.

My opinion: Xbox has more to it, cheaper, has the better online community, and more people own one, but PlayStation 3 is the best of the two

Rebel Yell
12-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Great games. RE4 was the reason I bought a Gamecube, then they just brought it over to PS2. :mad:
But RE5 comes out in a few months so I'm definitely buying a new system cuz it looks so damn awesome.

Only, it's not politically correct. You shoot alot of black zombies. No bullshit, it's already causing a stink.

marinejcksn
12-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Only, it's not politically correct. You shoot alot of black zombies. No bullshit, it's already causing a stink.

I read about that when Electronic Gaming Monthly (my favorite games magazine) first covered the upcoming game over a year ago. It's pretty stupid that people place the RRRRACIST label on this game (since you're a white Government agent killing zombies in Africa) when you can kill people of all colors in Grand Theft Auto...:rolleyes:

Update: RE5 will be a co-op 2 player game and the other character is a black woman agent. So its ok now I guess. :o

AlmostThere
12-19-2008, 02:48 AM

In Nov my son's 360 died. He had it since the 360 came out. Microsoft fixed it and shipped it back to us for a total of $94.00 which included the shipping it back to us. From the day I shipped it till it was returned, was less than 3 weeks.

ironhorsedriver
01-03-2009, 08:46 AM
A little tid-bit here, most of you gamers probably already know. My son got net-flix recently, and you can download movies straight to the 360 hard-drive.

Dyne
02-04-2009, 03:24 AM
In Nov my son's 360 died. He had it since the 360 came out. Microsoft fixed it and shipped it back to us for a total of $94.00 which included the shipping it back to us. From the day I shipped it till it was returned, was less than 3 weeks.

You must have lived closer to their warehouse then. And you shouldn't have paid for anything, unless it was past the warranty date.

AlmostThere
02-04-2009, 04:45 PM
You must have lived closer to their warehouse then. And you shouldn't have paid for anything, unless it was past the warranty date.
No, we live in the same place. My son has had his 360 since it debuted. Ergo his unit was way past warranty. He went on-line and lined up repair. The flat fee was $94 which included shipping the unit back to us when repaired. 2 and a half months later the unit is working fine.

Dyne
02-05-2009, 12:51 AM
No, we live in the same place. My son has had his 360 since it debuted. Ergo his unit was way past warranty. He went on-line and lined up repair. The flat fee was $94 which included shipping the unit back to us when repaired. 2 and a half months later the unit is working fine.

Oh, I see. That's must be why you got it back so soon, since you actually paid for the service. Getting it back through warranty would take longer I suppose since they're doing it for free and can take their time and ship with the lowest cost.

newshutr
02-05-2009, 07:58 AM
Oh, I see. That's must be why you got it back so soon, since you actually paid for the service. Getting it back through warranty would take longer I suppose since they're doing it for free and can take their time and ship with the lowest cost.

I had mine fixed for free and got mine back within 8 days. They shipped UPS.

marinejcksn
02-06-2009, 07:16 AM
I've been wrestling over this question for a few weeks now; still can't decide which one to buy! :mad:

The 360 is: Cheaper, has more games, a better online service & multiplatform games that come out on both systems usually run better on it. BUT; it still sometimes runs the risk of the RROD and Xbox Live costs $50 a year.

The PS3 has: Blu-ray (I don't really care), a bigger hard drive, great exclusive games and free online gaming. BUT it costs more.

I'm stuck. :(

aka:PBS
03-13-2009, 03:56 PM
quick question about the 360 arcade. I have been tols that it cannot play alot of games. Is that true? That it can only play a select few games. I am not really into the shoot-em up games. It will be mainly for the kids....;) alot of nascar...etc.

marinejcksn
03-13-2009, 07:33 PM
quick question about the 360 arcade. I have been tols that it cannot play alot of games. Is that true? That it can only play a select few games. I am not really into the shoot-em up games. It will be mainly for the kids....;) alot of nascar...etc.

The 360 Arcade version can play the full catalog of Xbox 360 games, it just can't play the old Xbox games like the other models can. Also, it doesn't have a hard drive so you'll have to buy a memory card if you want to save your game progress which runs like 30 bucks. The Xbox 360 "Pro" model is a better value because it comes with a 60GB hard drive attached.