PDA

View Full Version : Who needs a boarding pass? TSA experiments with fingerprint boarding.

RobJohnson
06-14-2017, 04:28 AM
TSA tests using fingerprints as boarding passes at Denver International Airport
(http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/13/tsa-fingerprints-boarding-passes-denver-international-airport/)
Why bother with a boarding pass when you’ve got your fingerprint?
Starting Wednesday, the Transportation Security Administration will test new biometric technology that substitutes fingerprints for boarding passes and IDs at Denver International Airport and Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
The technology, which is being tested among travelers enrolled in TSA PreCheck, matches passengers’ identities to fingerprints already on file when people applied to the fast-pass lane program. PreCheck travelers are able to pass through security with shoes and belts on, and liquids and laptops still in their carry-on bags.

Like most people, I'm not a huge fan of the TSA.
Will this be a good thing or a bad thing?

noonwitch
06-14-2017, 11:40 AM
It could be a good thing if people don't have to disrobe or get manhandled to walk onto a plane. It could be a bad thing if TSA abused the technology.

Retread
06-14-2017, 01:27 PM
No.

Banacek
06-14-2017, 02:29 PM
This is the current acting commissioner. She was appointed September 20th, 2013, by President Obama as the Director of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Domestic Nuclear Detection Office. I believe she became assistant administrator in March (?) of (2016). I assume by Obama.

GOP, Democrats blast TSA for withholding information

A hard-hitting, bipartisan congressional oversight hearing is good government at work — especially if you like blood sports.

It can be a brutal experience for an agency head in the hot seat when Republicans and Democrats are rightly and mutually disgusted with a bureaucracy’s performance and its leaders.

That was the case with Huban A. Gowadia the acting administrator of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) at a House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing Thursday

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/03/06/gop-democrats-blast-tsa-for-withholding-information/?utm_term=.429dcb285c30

The acting deputy administrator is Roderick Allison. From what I briefly read he is a squared away guy.

However, until a permanent director is named I wouldn't trust Huban. I think she is an Obama insider.