PDA

View Full Version : The All Time Greatest Guitar Chord.

BadCat
11-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Certain chords from an electric guitar are just classic, unforgettable statements.

One of my favourites is the A5 chord fingered like this...

{xO2255}

This is the power chord in the opening of "All Right Now" by Free and also the one used in the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again", that comes at you like a ton of bricks right after the keyboard solo.

What are some of your favourite guitar "power statements"?

If you don't play guitar, Goldwater or I probably know the song and can tell you the chord.

linda22003
11-25-2008, 03:20 PM
The first chord at the opening of "A Hard Day's Night".

BadCat
11-25-2008, 03:32 PM
The first chord at the opening of "A Hard Day's Night".

That's a good one, a lot of controversy as to what George actually played.

I play it as a D7sus4 because the song is in the key of G, but I have also seen it listed as a Gadd9sus4, same chord basically, but the latter hits a G note as the tonic.

Zeus
11-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Whipping Post
Holy Diver
The Trooper
paranoid

There are many those are just a taste

Full-Auto
11-25-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm a sucker for Metallica instrumentals like Orion and To Live Is To Die. Those guitar riffs live in my head...

Molon Labe
11-25-2008, 04:35 PM
The opening chords to this is still baaaaaad!!!! I think the riff's around a basic A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5rKK3KuD8Y

It's cheesy now...but way back when the first couple of chords to Loverboys "Turn Me Loose" had a really nice thump.

Basic bar chords....

I never learned to read music...just fooled around with alot of tab from guitar magazine.

Zeus
11-25-2008, 04:39 PM
The opening chords to this is still baaaaaad!!!! I think the riff's around a basic A

It's cheesy now...but way back when the first couple of chords to Loverboys "Turn Me Loose" had a really nice thump.

Basic bar chords....

I never learned to read music...just fooled around with alot of tab from guitar magazine.

Helped along by nickel beer night dontcha know :D

BadCat
11-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Whipping Post
Holy Diver
The Trooper
paranoid

There are many those are just a taste

I only play Paranoid from that list, I never do Allman Bros out of deference to Duane's greatness.

Paranoid starts with an Esus4 with a quick hammer on to the E5.

I play it on the 12th fret, E and A strings, many play it at the seventh A and D strings.

I think the thicker E and A strings have more "balls".

Zeus
11-25-2008, 04:55 PM
I only play Paranoid from that list, I never do Allman Bros out of deference to Duane's greatness.

Paranoid starts with an Esus4 with a quick hammer on to the E5.

I play it on the 12th fret, E and A strings, many play it at the seventh A and D strings.

I think the thicker E and A strings have more "balls".

You sound like an old roommate of mine. Was a drummer,could play along with anything playing on the stereo/radio. Minute a Rush song came on he would lay down the sticks.

BadCat
11-25-2008, 05:03 PM
You sound like an old roommate of mine. Was a drummer,could play along with anything playing on the stereo/radio. Minute a Rush song came on he would lay down the sticks.

Sometimes, you gotta know when you're licked.

I do play "Layla" (miscredited to Eric Clapton), but not the slide part.
The slide guitar in Layla is sacred.

biccat
11-25-2008, 05:06 PM
I would have to say the opening to Iron Man. Instantly recognizable.

Even if you boil it down to the opening note, people will still know the song.

Also, "Smoke on the Water"

BadCat
11-25-2008, 05:12 PM
I would have to say the opening to Iron Man. Instantly recognizable.

Even if you boil it down to the opening note, people will still know the song.

Also, "Smoke on the Water"

Iron Man is cool. He's bending an open string in the intro, by reaching "behind" the nut and depressing the open E string.

Smoke on the Water intro is a progression in fourths.
The trick to it is to finger pluck both strings and not strum them.

Goldwater
11-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Smoke on the water is the first thing I ever learned to play, nice song.

BadCat
11-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Smoke on the water is the first thing I ever learned to play, nice song.

Yeah, but did you pluck or strum?

Goldwater
11-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Yeah, but did you pluck or strum?

You mean did I pull the strings out with fingers? I just play it with a pick, strumming I suppose. Does Blackmore play it differently?

BadCat
11-25-2008, 05:20 PM
You mean did I pull the strings out with fingers? I just play it with a pick, strumming I suppose. Does Blackmore play it differently?

Yeah, he finger plucks them.
I used to play it with a pick too, until I saw an interview with Blackmore laughing about how everybody plays it wrong.

Goldwater
11-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Yeah, he finger plucks them.
I used to play it with a pick too, until I saw an interview with Blackmore laughing about how everybody plays it wrong.

Damn Blackmore.

biccat
11-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Iron Man is cool. He's bending an open string in the intro, by reaching "behind" the nut and depressing the open E string.
After reading this I checked out this guy on YouTube who showed how the opening string was done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYDuzKQAn0E&feature=related

Pretty cool. Also, instantly recognizable. No "it's close but not quite," that is the opener.

BadCat
11-25-2008, 05:24 PM
After reading this I checked out this guy on YouTube who showed how the opening string was done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYDuzKQAn0E&feature=related

Pretty cool. Also, instantly recognizable. No "it's close but not quite," that is the opener.

I've seen some guys play it by playing a F note on the E string and then trying a quarter note bend at the first fret, not easy, usually doesn't work.