PDA

View Full Version : Old View for Our Present Society

FlaGator
11-25-2008, 06:48 PM
I came across this in my reading today and it amazed in that it could be applied to American society as it stands today. Let me know what you all think

But our age, receiving the republic as a chef-d'oeuvre of another age which has already begun to grow old, has not merely neglected to restore the colours of the original, but has not even been at the pains to preserve so much as the general outline and most outstanding features. . . It is so obsolete and forgotten, that, far from practising it, one does not even know it. And of the citizens what shall I say? Morality has perished through poverty of great men; a poverty for which we must not only assign a reason, but for the guilt of which we must answer as criminals charged with a capital crime. For it is through our vices, and not by an mishap, that we retain only the name of republic, and have long since lost reality."

— Cicero, Roman statesman and philosopher (106 BC - 43 BC)

patriot45
11-25-2008, 06:55 PM
I came across this in my reading today and it amazed in that it could be applied to American society as it stands today. Let me know what you all think

Thats ominous! But I guess it proves that history Does repeat itself. The high and mighty would never see themselves as having a part in a downfall.

Bubba Dawg
11-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Thats ominous! But I guess it proves that history Does repeat itself. The high and mighty would never see themselves as having a part in a downfall.

History may not truly repeat itself, but it certainly does rhyme. Events in one era resonate across the globe in different places and times. The one constant in all of this is human nature. Reading not only history but also world literature, ancient and modern, makes it clear to me that people now are much the same as people a hundred, or a thousand, years ago. The same jealosies. The same dreams. The same weaknesses and virtues.

I find that both comforting, and terrifying.

Gingersnap
11-25-2008, 11:18 PM
I read your post without bringing up a full screen and I thought that it could have been written in the early 1800s by an American. Cicero was a famous gadfly on the Roman body politic.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.