PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping Up Wednesday

Gingersnap
11-26-2008, 09:50 AM
It's clear and cold this morning. We will have a wintry Thanksgiving tomorrow with snow. I'm finishing up various projects in anticipation of the four day weekend (for me).

TOTD: In terms of foods, what is your favorite dish on Thanksgiving? Favorite leftover meal? What's the most horrifying dish to confront?

linda22003
11-26-2008, 09:53 AM
My favorite Thanksgiving dish might well be the corn pudding that I am taking tomorrow. We have Thanksgiving with neighbors, and we alternate who hosts; they're the hosts this year.

Favorite leftover: When it's my turn to host, I make a sausage dressing that becomes the bottom layer of a post-holiday casserole, topped with turkey and creamed onions and chestnuts.

linda22003
11-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Horrifying would be green bean casserole, but none of us make that.

biccat
11-26-2008, 10:06 AM
We're hosting thanksgiving this year, well, at least for my parents and siblings. Going to be a pretty limited affair.

My favorite dish is the turkey.

Favorite leftover would be the ubiquitous turkey sandwich.

The most disgusting thing evar is cranberry sauce. Homemade, canned, jarred, whatever. Disgusting.

RobJohnson
11-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Good Morning, 52 here and it has been raining hard for over an hour. The good news is, it's not SNOW. One more thing to be Thankful for this year!

I am Blessed to be able to work tonight until 10 PM ...so I will be taking my mother and another family out to dinner on Thursday..then back to work Friday afternoon...my area of responsibility should be fairly quiet, but I am sure I will end up being where all the action is....but I love that kind of stuff. I really enjoy people and putting a smile on a person's face. Every customer is a Blessing and they should be treated that way, even the old bastards that yell at me for no good reason! :p

TOTD: I love the breast. :D

Worst....anything with peas...I don't care for them in most dishes, and could never eat them alone.

Leftovers....Gosh, it's all so good...esp. hot turkey sandwhiches with mashed & gravy...

Space Gravy
11-26-2008, 10:22 AM
TOTD:

Favorite Dish=Pumpkin Pie

Favorite Leftover=Potato Pancakes at breakfast the next day made with the left over mashed potatoes .

Thing to Avoid= I'm not a sweet potato person.

RobJohnson
11-26-2008, 10:38 AM
TOTD:

Favorite Leftover=Potato Pancakes at breakfast the next day made with the left over mashed potatoes .

Great idea. I love Potato Pancakes.

Goldwater
11-26-2008, 10:42 AM
The most disgusting thing evar is cranberry sauce. Homemade, canned, jarred, whatever. Disgusting.

Cranberry rawks. I have it in sandwiches with chicken and bread sauce. Mmm.

Celtic Rose
11-26-2008, 10:43 AM
I have the day off work today, and it is awesome :D

TOTD: I love stuffing, I like open-faced turkey sandwiches as a left over, and I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes, especially when they have marshmellows, etc.

biccat
11-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Cranberry rawks. I have it in sandwiches with chicken and bread sauce. Mmm.
http://forums.huntingresource.com/style_emoticons/default/vomit.gif

RobJohnson
11-26-2008, 11:08 AM
http://forums.huntingresource.com/style_emoticons/default/vomit.gif

LOL!!! :D

ralph wiggum
11-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Horrifying would be green bean casserole, but none of us make that.

Shush woman. I'm now expecting Jendf to show up to bash green bean casserole as well. :mad: :D

RobJohnson
11-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Shush woman. I'm now expecting Jendf to show up to bash green bean casserole as well. :mad: :D
GBC is good stuff!

asdf2231
11-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Favorite dish on T-Day is in fact the Green Bean Casserole. Made with fresh green beans and sliced portabellas and fine diced vidalia onions. I make a scratch cream sauce with white wine and season it with fresh ground pepper and a tiny, tiny bit or fresh ground red pepper for flavor. The french fried onions are the only "Canned" ingredients that go into it.

The worst is those gawd awful sweet potato dishes with marshmallows on them.

Favorite leftover is open faced turkey sammiches on fresh crusty bread. :)

asdf2231
11-26-2008, 01:36 PM
As a sub TOTD what kind of pie/desert do you serve?

We go with the traditional Deep Dish Apple pie and a Punkin pie with whipped topping for them what likes it.

RobJohnson
11-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Favorite dish on T-Day is in fact the Green Bean Casserole. Made with fresh green beans and sliced portabellas and fine diced vidalia onions. I make a scratch cream sauce with white wine and season it with fresh ground pepper and a tiny, tiny bit or fresh ground red pepper for flavor. The french fried onions are the only "Canned" ingredients that go into it.

WOW....sounds YUMMY.

I am not too sure about your "cream" sauce...I would feel better if I seen it come from a can. :eek:

asdf2231
11-26-2008, 01:48 PM
WOW....sounds YUMMY.

I am not too sure about your "cream" sauce...I would feel better if I seen it come from a can. :eek:

INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons butter
2-3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 oz White Wine.

DIRECTIONS
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined. Pour in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens. Add more milk depending on desired consistency

RobJohnson
11-26-2008, 02:00 PM
INGREDIENTS
2 tablespoons butter
2-3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 oz White Wine.

DIRECTIONS
In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until the butter and flour are well combined. Pour in milk, stirring constantly as it thickens. Add more milk depending on desired consistency

Thanks....I will print this out

asdf2231
11-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks....I will print this out

just make sure you don't overcook the flour in the butter. :)

RobJohnson
11-26-2008, 03:01 PM
just make sure you don't overcook the flour in the butter. :)

That will only happen if I drink the other 14 ounces of wine first!

biccat
11-26-2008, 03:05 PM
That will only happen if I drink the other 14 ounces of wine first!

I think you mean 24 ounces. A typical wine bottle is 750 ml, or 25.4 oz.

Celtic Rose
11-26-2008, 04:36 PM
I think you mean 24 ounces. A typical wine bottle is 750 ml, or 25.4 oz.

Oh, the first 10 ounces are probably long gone :p

Gingersnap
11-26-2008, 07:40 PM
I really like stuffing and I really like gravy. I eat a generally lower carb diet most of the time so I look forward to these cultural food-fests.

I'm horrified by sweet potato-anything, I've never had even one nibble of the time-honored green bean thing, and I think cranberry jelly is slimy and repulsive.

This time of year I buy a lot of turkeys and keep them frozen. These turkey deals are very economical for the cook and turkey is more flavorful than chicken in pretty much any dish. ;)

movie buff
11-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Favorite dish: That's a tough one, because my mom's such a good cook. Probably stuffing, that's really good, and also sweet potato casserole.
Favorite leftover: Probably the smoked turkey. It keeps for a long time, can be used in a multitude of different ways (Just cuts of meat, sandwiches, etc.).

Milly
11-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Is it heretical to have ham for Thanksgiving?

We usually buy several turkeys at the great Thanksgiving prices and then have one on Christmas day, since the grandkids get us up at the crack of dawn on Chritmas, anyway. But Thanksgiving is an easy-going day, so we get up later and slap some good old Hoosier ham steaks on the griddle. Sides are GBC, mashed potatoes, green salad, home-made biscuits & honey, with pie to follow.

It's actually more festive than it sounds, since the kids get to decorate.

Later in the afternoon, we go out to the farm for some target practice. We don't hunt, we just like to shoot the place up. :D

Gingersnap
11-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Is it heretical to have ham for Thanksgiving?

We usually buy several turkeys at the great Thanksgiving prices and then have one on Christmas day, since the grandkids get us up at the crack of dawn on Chritmas, anyway. But Thanksgiving is an easy-going day, so we get up later and slap some good old Hoosier ham steaks on the griddle. Sides are GBC, mashed potatoes, green salad, home-made biscuits & honey, with pie to follow.

It's actually more festive than it sounds, since the kids get to decorate.

Later in the afternoon, we go out to the farm for some target practice. We don't hunt, we just like to shoot the place up. :D

You get Satanic minus points for ham but NRA plus points for shooting things. It's a wash. :p

cat714
11-26-2008, 08:47 PM
This Thanksgiving we are going to a nice restuarant for dinner. My Fiance lost his mother this year and I lost my grandmother last year so we decided on a quiter celebration.

My favorite dish is cream of corn. YUMMY!!

I don't like sweet potato anything. YUCK!

By the way, has anyone every tried a turkey that has been fried???

Milly
11-26-2008, 08:53 PM
You get Satanic minus points for ham but NRA plus points for shooting things. It's a wash. :p

Do I get any points for buying turkey & giblet Friskies for the cat? Normally, she just gets IAMs.

Gingersnap
11-26-2008, 08:54 PM
This Thanksgiving we are going to a nice restuarant for dinner. My Fiance lost his mother this year and I lost my grandmother last year so we decided on a quiter celebration.

My favorite dish is cream of corn. YUMMY!!

I don't like sweet potato anything. YUCK!

By the way, has anyone every tried a turkey that has been fried???

Yes, fried turkey is an experience. I haven't done it but I've had it. I don't think it compares to a clay pot turkey (my favorite method) but it's tasty. I'm way too paranoid about the fire danger to cook it myself even though we have a huge fire-proof patio to do it on.

ralph wiggum
11-26-2008, 08:55 PM
GBC is good stuff!

Bumping to piss off the GBC haters. :D

JB
11-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Bumping to piss off the GBC haters. :DI'll eat GBC as long as there's no GB in it.

Gingersnap
11-26-2008, 09:04 PM
I'll eat GBC as long as there's no GB in it.

Is that like me drinking a Screwdriver except without vodka? :D

JB
11-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Is that like me drinking a Screwdriver except without vodka? :DIt's just my way of saying GBC blows. :D

And OJ over ice is just a waste of good ice.

ralph wiggum
11-26-2008, 09:11 PM
I'll eat GBC as long as there's no GB in it.

I never thought discussing the merits of green bean casserole might end up being domeworthy. :eek:

:D

Bubba Dawg
11-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Okay, the best part of the whole meal is the Green Bean Casserole and the Sweet Tater Dish.

Anyone who thinks otherwise just ain't got good sense.

The thing to avoid.....Giblet Gravy. Once I found out what 'giblets' are, I quit eatin' it.

And Apple Pie for dessert. Not immediately after the meal. Later, while football is on. A big slab of apple pie with a slice of melted cheddar cheese on it.

Lawzy.

Gingersnap
11-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Okay, the best part of the whole meal is the Green Bean Casserole and the Sweet Tater Dish.

Anyone who thinks otherwise just ain't got good sense.

The thing to avoid.....Giblet Gravy. Once I found out what 'giblets' are, I quit eatin' it.

And Apple Pie for dessert. Not immediately after the meal. Later, while football is on. A big slab of apple pie with a slice of melted cheddar cheese on it.

Lawzy.

You eat mayo and ramen preferentially, don't you? You can't hide behind that apple pie.

Phillygirl
11-26-2008, 09:18 PM
I have never had cheddar cheese on apple pie. It just sounds icky.

And how can anyone not like sweet potatoes? I'm making them for tomorrow because apparently my sister is opposed to them.

JB
11-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Great. phillygirl's here.

Kick for giblet gravy and/or au jus sauce.

Gingersnap
11-26-2008, 09:23 PM

And how can anyone not like sweet potatoes? I'm making them for tomorrow because apparently my sister is opposed to them.

Sweet potatoes suck. Sharp cheddar cheese on apple pie is one of God's many culinary gifts.

Phillygirl
11-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Great. phillygirl's here.

Kick for giblet gravy and/or au jus sauce.

Giblet gravy is disgusting. I thought it might be good. It's jellified offal. And the one time I had it, it had hard boiled eggs on it as well. I was a guest in someone's home, so I had to "eat" it. I still have nightmares about it, and if I trusted that Arkansas had doctors with actual medical degrees I would have asked to have my stomach pumped.

JB
11-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Sharp cheddar cheese on apple pie is one of God's many culinary gifts.The only time I've ever seen that done was by Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver.

Of course, he was nuts.

ralph wiggum
11-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Sweet potatoes suck.

Ditto.

Mod fight!!!!! :D

asdf2231
11-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Ditto.

Mod fight!!!!! :D

WOOT!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/asdf2231/smileys%20and%20fun/overflow/ug06eb4d-4e.gif

Gingersnap
11-26-2008, 10:30 PM
The only time I've ever seen that done was by Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver.

Of course, he was nuts.

Are you like 5,000 years old? Who has even seen that movie aside from that Ebert guy and he's almost dead? What would NYC people know about apple pie and cheese? :rolleyes:

JB
11-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Are you like 5,000 years old? Who has even seen that movie aside from that Ebert guy and he's almost dead?OMG. Now you're slamming the classics.

By the way, whenever I get asked my name for some dumb thing or another, I always use the fake name that he gave that Secret Service guy. :D
What would NYC people know about apple pie and cheese? :rolleyes:Not following you. That's the only time I ever saw someone use that disgusting combination and I'm city folk. We could always afford ice cream so I guess that's why the concept is foreign to me.

Bubba Dawg
11-26-2008, 10:42 PM
The ignorance of the world amazes me to this day. :eek:

Cheddar Cheese and Apple Pie go together like peas and carrots. Or beans and corn. Theres a word for that. Succotash it is called. :cool:

The finer things in life are like that. Reserved for the knowledgable.

Gingersnap
11-26-2008, 10:56 PM
The ignorance of the world amazes me to this day. :eek:

Cheddar Cheese and Apple Pie go together like peas and carrots. Or beans and corn. Theres a word for that. Succotash it is called. :cool:

The finer things in life are like that. Reserved for the knowledgable.

Can you just slap him around or something? He's been yanking my chain all night. (I'll forget the spandex deal for a minute.) :D

JB
11-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Can you just slap him around or something? He's been yanking my chain all night. (I'll forget the spandex deal for a minute.) :DHoly sheet. How far are you off your game tonight that you just sicced bubbadawg on me?

(no offence bubba) :D

Gingersnap
11-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Holy sheet. How far are you off your game tonight that you just sicced bubbadawg on me?

You know: hard week, lot's of prep for T-Day, the dog barfed.......I'm not Superwoman. :D

Celtic Rose
11-27-2008, 01:38 AM
Sweet potatoes suck. Sharp cheddar cheese on apple pie is one of God's many culinary gifts.

I love sharp cheddar on apples, but I've never tried it on apple pie.

Wretched Excess
11-27-2008, 01:40 AM
You know: hard week, lot's of prep for T-Day, the dog barfed.......I'm not Superwoman. :D

that would have never happened if you had a CAT.

Wretched Excess
11-27-2008, 01:51 AM
Yes, fried turkey is an experience. I haven't done it but I've had it. I don't think it compares to a clay pot turkey (my favorite method) but it's tasty. I'm way too paranoid about the fire danger to cook it myself even though we have a huge fire-proof patio to do it on.

your fried thighs haven't a hint of your real thighs, baby

franksolich
11-27-2008, 06:05 AM

Now wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute.

When I was growing up, it was always explained to me that cheddar cheese on apple pie was a Pennsylvania delicacy.

linda22003
11-27-2008, 07:43 AM

Both are wonderful. A plain baked sweet potato is food for the gods. I also was not a believer in cheddar on apple pie until I tasted it.

megimoo
11-27-2008, 08:17 AM
Both are wonderful. A plain baked sweet potato is food for the gods. I also was not a believer in cheddar on apple pie until I tasted it.You Hill Folk females Never wore underwear until eighteen I'll bet !

Bubba Dawg
11-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Holy sheet. How far are you off your game tonight that you just sicced bubbadawg on me?

Hey, I'll chinch your leg off..:mad::p

linda22003
11-27-2008, 10:17 AM
You Hill Folk females Never wore underwear until eighteen I'll bet !

The only time I've been "Hill Folk" is when I lived on Beacon Hill, about thirty years ago. :p

http://www.northeastern.edu/offcampus/images/BeaconHill.jpg

Bubba Dawg
11-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Now wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute.

When I was growing up, it was always explained to me that cheddar cheese on apple pie was a Pennsylvania delicacy.

It's also a southern thing. I've been in cafeterias where they had the pie slices sitting out ready to be served and about half the apple pie slices have a nice slice of cheddar cheese already on them.