PDA

View Full Version : 4-year-old shot; Mom didn't take her to hospital

Banacek
06-30-2017, 06:36 PM
Police have arrested a mother after her 4-year-old daughter’s gunshot wound was left untreated for nine days.

“She wasn’t even limping, She couldn’t walk,” said Mary Jackson,grandmother of Shania Cody, 4. Shania's mother, Shanquisha Upshaw, hid the child’s injuries.

Jackson said her son and Shania’s father, Stefan Cody, finally convinced Upshaw to drop her daughter off at their house when it became clear Shania was seriously injured. Jackson rushed Shania to Lee Memorial Hospital, where doctors determined she needed surgery immediately.

“They said if I would’ve waited a little more longer, they would’ve had to cut her whole little leg off,” Jackson said, adding that the wound had become infected

http://www.wect.com/story/35783927/4-year-old-shot-mom-didnt-take-her-to-hospital

enslaved1
06-30-2017, 09:52 PM
It's Trump's fault for taking away their healthcare111!!!11

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Rockntractor
06-30-2017, 11:39 PM
I shot myself in the knee when I was a kid, I was shooting insulators off from telephone poles that were no longer in service.
I went home and didn't say a word but later that evening the stiffness set in and the pain started and I told my mother who took me to the emergency room.

eismann82
07-01-2017, 12:31 AM
My grandfather collected guns and antique swords, my uncle snuck one of the pistols out and was shooting rats around the horse stables and, somehow, shot his ankle, when he was a kid, and, he still has the sock with a hole in it today.

sent from my jitter bug😎

SVPete
07-01-2017, 09:22 AM
Two things stand out to me in that article, besides the plight of the little girl who may never again have full function of that leg.

1. No mention of how it happened. The speculation that comes immediately to mind is that the little girl's egg donor is covering up for somebody or the TV station knows but is doing a PC-cover-up. Obviously both are possible.

2. The little girl's sperm donor isn't married to the egg donor. The egg donor's sperm donor was also absent. More plainly, two generations - at least - of homes without a Father. There are valid reasons for divorce, but many/most single-parent homes are the product of never-marrieds or casual divorce. Actions have consequences, sometimes for decades, sometimes for generations.

On a hypothetical level, I'd say the little girl's egg donor should lose custody, permanently, and do jail time. Given how screwed up the foster system too often is, and the way youths "graduating" from foster care are insta-homeless with not much more than the clothes on their backs (correct me if I'm wrong, nw), I don't know what, if anything, can be done that would be good for the little girl.

Retread
07-01-2017, 10:14 AM
My father died with a .22 laying next to his heart.

I say a bullet but after 60+ years, it was more likely just a bullet-sized gristle. The neighbor boy was shooting at squirrels or birds in the trees and the slug ended up in dad's chest. The doc (in the late 19 teens) refused to go after it as there was no major bleeding, no apparent lung or esophagus damage and no severe pain.