PDA

View Full Version : So what's your personal irational fear?

asdf2231
11-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Everybody has one.

I am not neccesarily claustrophobic but when I am TIGHLY confined to the point where I can't move limbs I go ballistic.

So what is it?

Bugs? Teddy Bears? High Places?

Bunnies? (A sop to Ptarmy)

Bubba Dawg
11-26-2008, 11:20 PM
I don't like heights or closed in places.

An MRI totally freaks me out. BALLISTIC. Truly.

lurkalot
11-26-2008, 11:23 PM
I have an absolute terror of not being able to feed my kid! I have a pantry that looks like the local Piggly Wiggly! :eek:

biccat
11-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Fear of falling, not necessarily high places. I love looking out the windows in our office 30 stories up.

But when taking the elevated rail, both in Chicago and San Francisco, I was literally freaking out over the fear of the thing falling.

JB
11-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Excellent. A crazy thread.

Kick.

djones520
11-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Closest thing for me is spiders. I just can't stand them.

I don't think I have any fears that truly cause me to freeze up though. That I've discovered yet that is.

Bubba Dawg
11-26-2008, 11:32 PM
Closest thing for me is spiders. I just can't stand them.

I don't think I have any fears that truly cause me to freeze up though. That I've discovered yet that is.

Well, shit man, fear of spiders is normal.

I mean, you know that here are Giant Spiders, right?

Invisible Giant Spiders.

But the odds that one of them is within twenty feet of you is like, one-in-three....

So relax. :cool::)

Gingersnap
11-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Good Lord!

Well, we've already exposed my irrational fear of a CUer telling me my stove was left on. Let's see - I have absolutely no faith that the garage door doohickey actually works. None.

I have to impose a Cone of Silence each day so that I can totally concentrate on the garage door closing each morning. If anybody yaks it up during this interval, I have to turn around and visually confirm that the door is, indeed, closed. Much to the hilarity of Mr. Snaps. :mad:

Phillygirl
11-27-2008, 12:08 AM
That some of you people might actually be real.

Oh, wait, that's rational.

I'll keep thinking on it.

asdf2231
11-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Good Lord!

Well, we've already exposed my irrational fear of a CUer telling me my stove was left on. Let's see - I have absolutely no faith that the garage door doohickey actually works. None.

I have to impose a Cone of Silence each day so that I can totally concentrate on the garage door closing each morning. If anybody yaks it up during this interval, I have to turn around and visually confirm that the door is, indeed, closed. Much to the hilarity of Mr. Snaps. :mad:

LOL!

This has become one of my personal bugaboos the last year or so.

I hit the button as I'm backing out and get 5 miles down the road and I'm like, Did I remember to close it?:D

BSR
11-27-2008, 12:14 AM
I have an absolute terror of not being able to feed my kid! I have a pantry that looks like the local Piggly Wiggly! :eek:

That's an instinct. Everyone with a kid has that one.

Gingersnap
11-27-2008, 12:15 AM
LOL!

I hit the button as I'm backing out and get 5 miles down the road and I'm like, Did I remember to close it?:D

Until we got this place, we never had a garage door opener. You had to get out and manually do it.

My retarded BIL thought it was funny as heck to tell me that my garage door was open at various times when we were moving. :mad:

BSR
11-27-2008, 12:15 AM
I fear nothing.

I cant stand the feel of a cotton ball between my fingers. It's something about the texture I hate. :mad:

That's normal, right?

Gingersnap
11-27-2008, 12:19 AM
That's normal, right?

For the clinically insane, yes. :)

Aaron Burr
11-27-2008, 01:12 AM
I get creeped out by sinking ships. The bigger the ship, the more horrifying.

I think it's because when I was young I once sailed to Catalina island and witnessed a yacht sinking. We sailed almost right over it. You could see it hanging in darkness, lit only by it's running lights and whatever was turned on in the cabin. I guess I never forgot it.

Celtic Rose
11-27-2008, 01:33 AM
Things brushing against my neck, I can't handle it.

Also, I always worry that I forgot to flush the toilet. In public bathrooms I often wash my hands, then walk back to confirm that I actually did flush the toilet. So far, I alway have :p

Wretched Excess
11-27-2008, 01:34 AM
my fear is that I will fail.

in any connotation of the word.

linda22003
11-27-2008, 07:45 AM
LOL!

This is a universal, I think. I will circle the block and come back to drive by the house again to confirm that it's closed. It has never, ever been open.

FlaGator
11-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Palmetto Bugs... also known as flying cockroaches.

jinxmchue
11-27-2008, 10:00 AM
I don't exactly fear them, but sea invertibrates like octopi, squid and especially jellyfish give me the creeps.

I'm not good with heights if I feel unsafe.

EricMartin
11-27-2008, 10:08 AM
I don't exactly fear them, but sea invertibrates like octopi, squid and especially jellyfish give me the creeps.

The same goes for me, absolutely. The mere existence of a creature such as this one (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=8439) makes me nauseous.

I hate the scene in the Bond movie "Octopussy" where a guy's head is smashed into an aquarium with a pet octopussy, which starts feeding on his face. I'm also uncomfortable with the headcrabs in the Alien movies.

Bubba Dawg
11-27-2008, 10:24 AM
That some of you people might actually be real.

Oh, wait, that's rational.

I'll keep thinking on it.

I'll be up front so you can relax philly. My online personality is exactly my real personality. :)

cat714
11-27-2008, 09:36 PM
For me it's clowns and people standing too close to me or right behind me at the check out stand.

cat714
11-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Palmetto Bugs... also known as flying cockroaches.

Those things are disgusting. I lived in Georgia for a short time and when I saw them in my house, I was like, "WTF is that?!" Thank goodness, I had a cat who was an excellent hunter and enjoyed catching them.

JB
11-28-2008, 07:37 PM
I'll keep thinking on it.I know two off the top of my head.

Kick for craziness.