PDA

View Full Version : Bloomberg - food riots coming

GrumpyOldLady
11-27-2008, 06:07 AM
http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:8QSDTMl3_xlFJM:http://a.abcnews.com/images/GMA/pd_turkey_dinner_071120_ms.jpg

Bloomberg story (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aC.nz4FiZpkg&refer=home)

Happy Thanksgiving.

Enjoy your turkey. Enjoy your stuffing and gravy. Enjoy it all.

Prices will be sky high and food riots will erupt in 2009 - says Bloomberg.

(I'm reading this elsewhere as well).

Milly
11-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Hence, the need for weapons, ammo, a well stocked pantry and room for a garden come spring.

My husband and I have discussed just this thing, and - while we would give freely to anyone who asked - don't try to take it by force. Thieves will be met with armed resistance.

Those of us in the heartland will be better off than those in the cities, of course. We can grow stuff & hunt stuff. It'll be tough in the cities.

sgrooms
11-27-2008, 11:21 AM
I honestly thought that maybe I was preparing for something that wasn't going to happen. I have been stockpiling bullets, guns, and food. Maybe I wasn't so far off.

In this day and age, in the United States, I never thought we would have to worry about food. We live in the most productive country in the world, and to have to worry about daily staples.

Just fucking scary.

SarasotaRepub
11-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Yepper, remember those riots over rice earlier in the year?
DU was all over that one. :rolleyes:

OwlMBA
11-27-2008, 02:28 PM
"Riots" may be a bit exaggerated, but I think you can count on a sharp increase in shoplifting and even violent robberies. That always goes along with big increases in unemployment and other economic turmoil. It does not help that the first people to lose their jobs are often the ones that are one paycheck away from hitting you over the head with a brick anyway.

Gingersnap
11-27-2008, 02:40 PM
That article makes kind of a blind jump from rising commodities prices to "food unrest" (whatever that is).

GrumpyOldLady
11-27-2008, 06:38 PM
The fact that bloomberg put it out caught my attention.

Kinda interesting. We've been stocking up and rotating about a 3 month supply for years.

Food supply. Water is harder.

FlaGator
11-27-2008, 06:56 PM
That article makes kind of a blind jump from rising commodities prices to "food unrest" (whatever that is).

I never put any stock in to these predictions because none have ever panned out. Seems like these 'prognosticators' like to see who can scare the public the most.

Moon
11-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Well, I need to go on a diet, anyway.

I remember all sorts of respectable publications running stories of the impending apocalyptic doom in the months before Y2K. Didn't amount to much as I recall, but I could have missed it. Publications are in the business to sell as many copies of their newspaper/magazine as possible, and sex and fear always sell.

submarinepainter
11-27-2008, 09:05 PM
[ I do have some stuff stored up and of course my shotguns and a 38 , I thought about buying one of those water purifying filters , they are quite pricey though

Moon
11-27-2008, 09:14 PM
[ I do have some stuff stored up and of course my shotguns and a 38 , I thought about buying one of those water purifying filters , they are quite pricey though

You can always use the old stand-by - chlorine tablets.

REI website (http://www.rei.com/search?cat=4500030&cat=4500460&hist=cat%2C4500030%3AFilters+and+Purifiers^cat%2C4 500460%3AHalogens+and+Chemicals)

lacarnut
11-27-2008, 09:37 PM
I never put any stock in to these predictions because none have ever panned out. Seems like these 'prognosticators' like to see who can scare the public the most.

Me neither and when did Michael Bloomberg or his organization become experts in the field of agriculture. The facts are that some raw agricultural products have decreased in price such as corn. Anyone that invested in agricultural ETF's like DBA or MOO have lost their shirts over the last couple of months.

Food riots have been taking place in undeveloped countries for years. So this not any startling news story. At least not for the USA. Prices may go up but since transportation costs have dramatically decreased, there is little chance that this country will have any food shortages nor will there be any dramatic increases in food prices. .

ReaganForRus
11-28-2008, 11:28 AM
The food shortages will be the fault of the Obama Administration when the masses realize that he can't multiply a dozen barley loaves and some fish

GrumpyOldLady
11-28-2008, 12:13 PM
More info (http://standeyo.com/NEWS/08_Food_Water/081128.famine.2009.html)

This definately isn't Bloomberg. But it is yet another site that is claiming food shortages and riots in places.
They discuss the weather and nutritional value of what is being harvested.

lacarnut
11-28-2008, 01:03 PM
More info (http://standeyo.com/NEWS/08_Food_Water/081128.famine.2009.html)

This definately isn't Bloomberg. But it is yet another site that is claiming food shortages and riots in places.
They discuss the weather and nutritional value of what is being harvested.

After reading all that jibbersih, you learn that the left wing loon that wrote that article which was published on Daily Kos is involved in wind energy. BTW, the windmills in east Texas did not produce enough energy because of lack of WIND which caused brownouts. The environmental nuts are out in full force with their alternative energy propaganda.

Like I said, the price of corn, soybeans is DOWN. Don't know where this yo yo got his information but he is wrong. There will be no food shortages in the US. Transportation costs have dropped dramatically because of lower fuel cost. The price of fertilizer has decreased. Any fool that invests in the stock market knows that a fertilizer company like Potash stock has decreased. With crop rotation and farm subsidizes, this country is in great shape. Conclusion: if you believed 1/10 of the crap this turkey was putting out, the prices of agricultural products would have skyrocketed rather than a modest 7% increase for the year which can be largely attributed to higher fuel costs.