PDA

View Full Version : Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

bijou
11-28-2008, 12:43 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/11/29/alg_walmart_police.jpg

A Wal-Mart worker died after being trampled when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island store Friday morning, police and witnesses said.

The 34-year-old worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him. ...

more (http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/11/28/2008-11-28_worker_dies_at_long_island_walmart_after.html)

FlaGator
11-28-2008, 12:52 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/11/29/alg_walmart_police.jpg

A Wal-Mart worker died after being trampled when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island store Friday morning, police and witnesses said.

The 34-year-old worker, employed as an overnight stock clerk, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him. ...

more (http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/11/28/2008-11-28_worker_dies_at_long_island_walmart_after.html)

That is just horrible...

jinxmchue
11-28-2008, 12:54 PM
It's time to kill Black Friday.

Mythic
11-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Thats disgusting.

Goldwater
11-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Poor guy, just doing his job.

BSR
11-28-2008, 04:25 PM
You stay classy America..

That is what this country has become. Cheap shit is more valuable than human life.

Mythic
11-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Cheap shit is more valuable than human life.
That is such a sad but true fact. Liberals say that government and church need to be separated, which i can agree with, I don't think beliefs should be forced on anyone. However, they take so far as to ban praying in public schools. The government should not force a religion on someone, but it should not ban relgious practices either. The liberals basically want to separate the government from anything moral at all. There is a difference between religion and universal morals. Killing people, for example, has been accepted as morally wrong. Yet so many things aren't, and its just sad how people will not even pay attention to their surrounds and end up killing someone. It makes me so sick.

Speedy
11-28-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm sure the DUmmies are having a big laugh over this.

marinejcksn
11-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Anyone who can be identified via the store's cameras should face manslaughter charges. I read the article from another source too, these savages were complaining when told they had to leave by police because a worker was trampled to death. :rolleyes:

Troll
11-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Anyone who can be identified via the store's cameras should face manslaughter charges. I read the article from another source too, these savages were complaining when told they had to leave by police because a worker was trampled to death. :rolleyes:

I was wondering about that myself. They stepped on this guy, they should be punished. :mad:

What really made this story for me was someone was recording the EMTs working on this guy on their cell phone camera, and it was later uploaded to YouTube, although I think it has since been removed. People are gawking and laughing during the CPR like they're watching a trained poodle show. Even better were the comments blaming the evil corporations for making these people act this way.

It's Wal-Mart, people. I daresay they'll still be there at 5:00 pm, and the next day as well. Personally, I find these 'doorbuster' and 'day after Thanksgiving' sales stupid, but not as stupid as the fact that these people literally broke down the doors and killed a man just to fill their houses with more cheap crap from China. Prayers for his family, and our country at this point.

Bubba Dawg
11-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Diffusion of Responsibility.

When more that a few are responsible, no one will be blamed.

Damn shame.

Celtic Rose
11-28-2008, 11:09 PM
What a horrible story :(

OwlMBA
11-28-2008, 11:09 PM

Or Wal Mart shoppers. I think the latter would have a better effect on our society.

Mythic
11-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Well, all I can say now is that this truly puts the "Black" into "Black Friday".

cat714
11-29-2008, 10:05 PM

I was mortified when I read about this. I mean, WTF is wrong with some people?! Our society continues to lose its moral compass. This reminds me about story I read in June about the elderly man who got ran over in Hartford, CT and not one person went over to help. People kept going about their business.

jazztech
12-01-2008, 03:28 PM
I left Valley Stream in 1977 with no sense of loss. Islanders can be compassionate and generous, as after Sept. 11, 2001. They can also be some of the greediest, most unsympathetic and cold-hearted sumbitches on the planet. But, many of those were probably the urban poor from the Borough of Queens, just a couple miles away. The "Ugly New Yorker" at his best! Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, until "I got mine!"

I blame the Liberal Fascists that have been running NYC (regardless of the mayor's party affiliation) since the 60's. Destroying local businesses - is anything made in NYC anymore - at least stuff that's meant for consumption by other than the teaming local masses: gyros, baseball hats, and crack cocaine? Textiles are gone, Shipbuilding is gone. There's no industry, except Finance and Advertising and their products are consumed almost exclusively electronically. Enterprise is virtually non-existent. All that's left is survival. That's all there can be with tax rates that high. Just rats feeding on each other. Not to mention population density that's so high that Supply/Demand drives wages through the floor. So when they see an opportunity to save a buck they snap at it like a pirahna. This is what's in store for us after the fascists distribute the wealth and we all share the same outcome: poverty.

Space Gravy
12-01-2008, 03:54 PM

I suppose that at some point, like jungle gyms and dodge ball in school, the risks of liability will outweigh the value of these gimmicks for retailers.

Space Gravy
12-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Or Wal Mart shoppers. I think the latter would have a better effect on our society.

Funny how these stories are at Wal-Mart and not at Neiman Marcus.

fatboynic
12-04-2008, 10:09 PM

Damn shame.

Except of course, walmart :rolleyes:

Lanie
12-05-2008, 10:13 AM

Damn shame.

They're wanting to blame Wal-Mart. Yeah, I do think maybe all retail stores should be told to stop having these sales.

At the same time, INDIDIVIDUALS are responsible. What they needed to do was find the specific people who ran the guy over, arrest them, and make sure they go to jail for a long time just to teach the human race to be I don't HUMAN. I don't think much of the human race right now because of this. I think they're barbaric animals that can't responsibility for their own actions. Savages so to speak. And we think we have the right to look down on third world countries or the Aztecs? Hell no, we don't. We're pieces of trash just like they are.

This story makes me so angry.

Gingersnap
12-05-2008, 10:24 AM
They're wanting to blame Wal-Mart. Yeah, I do think maybe all retail stores should be told to stop having these sales.

At the same time, INDIDIVIDUALS are responsible. What they needed to do was find the specific people who ran the guy over, arrest them, and make sure they go to jail for a long time just to teach the human race to be I don't HUMAN. I don't think much of the human race right now because of this. I think they're barbaric animals that can't responsibility for their own actions. Savages so to speak. And we think we have the right to look down on third world countries or the Aztecs? Hell no, we don't. We're pieces of trash just like they are.

This story makes me so angry.

Welcome to my world. Doesn't Calvinism make a lot more sense now? :D

Lanie
12-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Welcome to my world. Doesn't Calvinism make a lot more sense now? :D

I keep associating it with being predestined for Heaven or Hell with no choice, so no. :p

But I do think "Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God" makes a lot of sense. I'd be ticked off too. Of course, it's not the first time I understood why that was written. Of course, certain groups of people in History were not very human themselves. They may not realize they were in the hands of an angry God.

I'm still in rant mode. I'm going out. :D

Gingersnap
12-05-2008, 11:31 AM
I keep associating it with being predestined for Heaven or Hell with no choice, so no. :p

But I do think "Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God" makes a lot of sense. I'd be ticked off too. Of course, it's not the first time I understood why that was written. Of course, certain groups of people in History were not very human themselves. They may not realize they were in the hands of an angry God.

None of the people who killed this guy would be believe that they had any choice in the matter. Predestination is only one part of a complex theology. Calvin was convinced that total depravity explained actions like that of the Wal-Mart mob. So did a large number of theologians both before and after Calvin.

I incline toward the total depravity explanation myself and of course nothing in creation is more distinctly "human" than depravity. ;)

FlaGator
12-05-2008, 01:10 PM

You misunderstand predestination. You are predestined in a certain way because God knows past, present and future and your choices are already accounted for in His plan. You still have freedom of choice, he just knows your choice beforehand. Jonathan Edwards who wrote "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" was a Calvinist as were most of the Puritans.

Lanie
12-05-2008, 06:55 PM
None of the people who killed this guy would be believe that they had any choice in the matter. Predestination is only one part of a complex theology. Calvin was convinced that total depravity explained actions like that of the Wal-Mart mob. So did a large number of theologians both before and after Calvin.

I incline toward the total depravity explanation myself and of course nothing in creation is more distinctly "human" than depravity. ;)

Okay, I think I understand. I don't agree though. We don't have to be a certain way. We can choose to be different. We might sometimes have to start avoiding what leads out to our sin though. If going to a Black Friday Sale is going to make one so excited that they'll run over people, then it's their responsibility to stop themselves from going to the sale to begin with.

Lanie
12-05-2008, 06:56 PM
You misunderstand predestination. You are predestined in a certain way because God knows past, present and future and your choices are already accounted for in His plan. You still have freedom of choice, he just knows your choice beforehand. Jonathan Edwards who wrote "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" was a Calvinist as were most of the Puritans.

Okay, that would make sense.