PDA

View Full Version : 500 dead' as cholera outbreak spreads

Sonnabend
11-28-2008, 04:28 PM
MORE than 500 people have died in a cholera outbreak in Zimbabwe, opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai has said. The water-borne disease has killed "more than 500" and affected "more than half a million" people, the leader of the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) party said, after arriving in Morocco for a visit.

The UN earlier Friday put the number of fatalities at 412 and warned the outbreak was spreading to Botswana and South Africa.

"The rapid deterioration of the health service delivery system in Zimbabwe, lack of adequate water supply, and inability to dispose of solid waste and repair sewage blockages in most areas will continue to contribute to the escalation and spread of the outbreak," said the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) spokeswoman Elisabeth Byrs.

Cholera is now hitting the whole of eastern Zimbabwe and spreading, she said. UN humanitarian agencies are working on the ground to ensure the delivery of medical supplies, clean drinking water and water purification kits.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24724285-23109,00.html

Bubba Dawg
11-28-2008, 07:56 PM
This country has literally fallen apart. I have a friend who lived in Zimbabwe when it was Rhodesia. Their agriculture not only fed their own nation, but also much of southern Africa. The place now is an economic basket case. It will only get worse.

FlaGator
11-28-2008, 08:48 PM
This country has literally fallen apart. I have a friend who lived in Zimbabwe when it was Rhodesia. Their agriculture not only fed their own nation, but also much of southern Africa. The place now is an economic basket case. It will only get worse.

They chased out all the farmers and replaced them with people who didn't know how to farm. I suppose they thought that it was a good idea at the time...

Bubba Dawg
11-28-2008, 08:50 PM
They chased out all the farmers and replaced them with people who didn't know how to farm. I suppose they thought that it was a good idea at the time...

True. My friend said it didn't take long for the crops to start failing because the new landowners didn't know how to farm.

blueyonder
11-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Well that settles it, I am not going to Zimbabwe this year.

Mythic
11-29-2008, 01:46 AM
Darn! I guess I have to cancel my vacation...seriously though, I feel terrible for all of these countries who literally cannot live on their own. They are torn in so many different ways, it is really sad. I pray that they will one day be able to support themselves.

Bubba Dawg
11-29-2008, 10:14 AM
The Third-World World Series was going to be there this year, but they already cancelled it before the cholera outbreak because they didn't have a ball.

submarinepainter
11-29-2008, 04:11 PM
I guess they will shit themselves to death or starve

Odysseus
11-29-2008, 10:19 PM
"The rapid deterioration of the health service delivery system in Zimbabwe, lack of adequate water supply, and inability to dispose of solid waste and repair sewage blockages in most areas will continue to contribute to the escalation and spread of the outbreak," said the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) spokeswoman Elisabeth Byrs.

Cholera is now hitting the whole of eastern Zimbabwe and spreading, she said. UN humanitarian agencies are working on the ground to ensure the delivery of medical supplies, clean drinking water and water purification kits.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24724285-23109,00.html

Cholera is one of the easiest diseases in the world to prevent. Just boiling drinking water will do it. It's been how many years since the transition from Rhodesia? How could a country fall that far in just a couple of generations?

noonwitch
12-01-2008, 11:05 AM

I befriended an exchange student from Zimbabwe in 1981-82, my senior year of high school. It was shortly after the change from Rhodesia. She was solidly middle class, and was not supportive of the revolution, but was for more rights for blacks than they had prior to the "revolution". She didn't like the whole mail censorship thing, though. Mugabe was not crazy yet, perhaps, at that point.