PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming Will Take Away Our Popcorn

Banacek
08-08-2017, 02:40 PM
They are so cocooned within their silly ideology, they canít hear the laughter. So they become ever more ridiculous, never losing their self-important, know-it-all mien. Now they ask us to hurriedly sacrifice our wealth and freedom to Big Government lest global warming take away our popcorn:

A new study, published Thursday in the journal Science, indicates that unless we act, and act fast, climate change could threaten everybodyís favorite meme-able snack: popcorn.

The new research, which looks at the evolution of maize in the United States over thousands of years, indicates that the cornís adaptation to new climates was a slow process. And even with modern technology, it seems helping corn adapt to our rapidly changing world wonít be easy.

Maize was first domesticated in the tropics of southern Mexico about 10,000 years ago.

Thanks to the efforts of Michael Mann and other climate conmen to hide the decline, many people seem to believe the climate did not change for millennia until Al Gore invented global warming. Actually, the climate has fluctuated tremendously, producing for example the Roman and Medieval warming periods. However, it remains disputable whether it has fluctuated significantly recently, due to much of the data the authorities present us with being fake

http://moonbattery.com/?p=86761

Rockntractor
08-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Corn is grown everywhere in the US and we have vast differences in climate.

Angry Old White Man
08-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Not a problem, Monsanto can whip up a batch really fast. As a matter of fact safety stores of all seed has been made to insure the world food sources never become extinct for any reason. If it gets that hot you won't be eating any popcorn I can assure you.

DumbAss Tanker
08-08-2017, 02:46 PM
Corn cares a lot about how much water and sunlight it gets. Heat, not so much.

RobJohnson
08-08-2017, 10:39 PM
:popcorn:

I love popcorn.

Rockntractor
08-08-2017, 10:45 PM
Corn cares a lot about how much water and sunlight it gets. Heat, not so much.
It grows and thrives here in Oklahoma at +100 temperatures.

SarasotaRepub
08-08-2017, 11:51 PM
:popcorn:

I love popcorn.

Me too!! I eating it now!!! Will it be my last???? :apologetic: :biggrin-new:

RobJohnson
08-09-2017, 12:01 AM
Me too!! I eating it now!!! Will it be my last???? :apologetic: :biggrin-new:

Oh noes! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SaintLouieWoman
08-09-2017, 01:15 AM
No worries, SR has 7 big bags of popcorn stashed in the closet. There was a huge one day sale at Sam's. He had 8 but was a good guy and took a bag for the grand kids Sunday when we visited. He shares his wealth. :biggrin-new:

NJCardFan
08-09-2017, 11:10 AM
Corn is grown everywhere in the US and we have vast differences in climate.

It's corn season here in NJ and I don't care what anyone says, there's nothing like Silver Queen corn from NJ. However, it isn't global warming that is going to reduce corn. It's the gubmint that keeps scooping up corn for ethanol.

noonwitch
08-09-2017, 01:31 PM
I can live without popcorn. But seriously, I've been eating a lot of corn on the cob because it is late summer and it's all local (so as fresh as it gets). There doesn't appear to be any shortages at Meijer or Nino Salvaggio's, the placed I buy groceries.

ralph wiggum
08-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Is is possible to OD on sweet corn? Since I reside in the Midwest, have had it for dinner about 4 times a week. Cook far more than necessary, and freeze it for the winter.

SVPete
08-09-2017, 02:35 PM
It grows and thrives here in Oklahoma at +100 temperatures.

Likewise in CA's Central Valley where summer high temps are usually 90-105. My Dad, through the years, grew both the corn used to feed cattle and the corn used to make tortillas. At one restaurant in town he brought the corn in the back door in sacks and it went out the front door as tamales, enchiladas, etc.. The grasses from which modern corn developed were native to Central America, where it get quite hot.

Rockntractor
08-09-2017, 02:48 PM
Is is possible to OD on sweet corn? Since I reside in the Midwest, have had it for dinner about 4 times a week. Cook far more than necessary, and freeze it for the winter.Sweet corn leaves you in pretty much the same condition as it enters so I doubt you would have much accumulation other than butter.

Rockntractor
08-09-2017, 02:52 PM
Likewise in CA's Central Valley where summer high temps are usually 90-105. My Dad, through the years, grew both the corn used to feed cattle and the corn used to make tortillas. At one restaurant in town he brought the corn in the back door in sacks and it went out the front door as tamales, enchiladas, etc.. The grasses from which modern corn developed were native to Central America, where it get quite hot.
I was amazed by this. I'm from Minnesota a heavy corn growing region with a climate much cooler than Oklahoma, when I moved here I had no idea they could grow corn almost as well. It's all about nitrogen and water.

Angry Old White Man
08-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Years ago I owned a house about four miles down the highway from where I now live and there was 500 acres across the street from my little house, there was corn every year while I lived there for 11 years and I had a nice toe sack in my closet. Just about wore that sack out from night time walks.

SVPete
08-09-2017, 04:11 PM
I was amazed by this. I'm from Minnesota a heavy corn growing region with a climate much cooler than Oklahoma, when I moved here I had no idea they could grow corn almost as well. It's all about nitrogen and water.

And length of the growing season. I suspect varieties grown in MN might mature faster than those grown farther south. Which brings up another point. While various plants might evolve very slowly in the wild, domesticated plants used for food are actively bred and hybridized for various desired characteristics, climate included. This whole kerfuffle is Paul-Ehrlich-style Enviro-alarmism.

Rockntractor
08-09-2017, 04:16 PM
And length of the growing season. I suspect varieties grown in MN might mature faster than those grown farther south. Which brings up another point. While various plants might evolve very slowly in the wild, domesticated plants used for food are actively bred and hybridized for various desired characteristics, climate included. This whole kerfuffle is Paul-Ehrlich-style Enviro-alarmism.
In Oklahoma you can grow a crop of corn reseed and get another crop of soybeans in the same season, Minnesota grew the long season 100+ day corn but only got a single crop. I would still bet there are differences other than time to maturation in the seed used, probably bred for heat and different insect resistance.

DumbAss Tanker
08-09-2017, 09:00 PM
In Oklahoma you can grow a crop of corn reseed and get another crop of soybeans in the same season, Minnesota grew the long season 100+ day corn but only got a single crop. I would still bet there are differences other than time to maturation in the seed used, probably bred for heat and different insect resistance.

The stuff was domesticated in Mexico, so heat sensitivity isn't really part of its basic gene structure. It does unfortunately have a very narrow genetic profile, making it a crop that would be unusually susceptible to pandemic disease compared to other grains, but that potential problem has yet to materialize as a real-world issue.

noonwitch
08-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Is is possible to OD on sweet corn? Since I reside in the Midwest, have had it for dinner about 4 times a week. Cook far more than necessary, and freeze it for the winter.

Not if you are basically healthy. My sister has Crohn's, so she has to go easy on corn. Even healthy people don't digest all the corn, we all know that. It can tear up someone with digestive problems badly.