PDA

View Full Version : WKRP is back on the air

ralph wiggum
11-29-2008, 04:02 PM
WKRP is on the air in Cincinnati.

Really.

Low-power Channel 38 - known as WBQC-TV since 1995 - has changed its call letters to WKRP-TV to promote its new digital TV signal.

This is the first time a station here has been known as WKRP since the CBS premiere 30 years ago of "WKRP in Cincinnati," a TV sitcom about a wacky rock radio station fictionally set in Cincinnati.

"When I call someone out-of-town and say we're a TV station in Cincinnati, the response usually is, 'WKRP in Cincinnati?' This gives us recognition," says Elliott Block, general manager and chief engineer for WKRP and sister low-power WOTH-TV (Channel 25).

His Block Broadcasting started the low-power station in 1990 as W25AI-TV. He changed to WBQC-TV when it became the local WB network affiliate. The WB ceased operation last year.

Block has registered trademarks for "WKRP" and "WKRP Cincinnati," he says. The station's new Web site is www.wkrp.tv.

Block began plotting the change two years ago, tied to TV stations' transition nationwide from analog to digital broadcasting scheduled for Feb. 17. Although low-power stations aren't required by law to switch to digital next year, Block made the investment so viewers here with digital TV converter boxes could continue to see his stations next year.

"Now we're in the mix with everyone else," he says.

LINK (http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081128/ENT/811280363)

Bubba Dawg
11-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Nice. I loved the series. Haven't seen it in years. I've heard that they took the original music out of the syndicated series that is being rebroadcast. Bummer.

Constitutionally Speaking
11-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Nice. I loved the series. Haven't seen it in years. I've heard that they took the original music out of the syndicated series that is being rebroadcast. Bummer.

They did, but my wife has the whole series - with the original music, on CD.

Bubba Dawg
11-29-2008, 08:39 PM
They did, but my wife has the whole series - with the original music, on CD.

That's cool.

noonwitch
12-01-2008, 01:10 PM
I was hoping that WGN, which broadcasts WKRP on Sunday nights at 7 (EST), would show the "Turkeys Away" episode for Thanksgiving this year, but they had a Newhart marathon, instead.

"Turkeys Away" is the funniest episode of any show that I have ever seen on television. Just seeing the clips on Youtube will cause me to laugh so hard I'll fall out of my chair.

ralph wiggum
12-01-2008, 01:15 PM
I was hoping that WGN, which broadcasts WKRP on Sunday nights at 7 (EST), would show the "Turkeys Away" episode for Thanksgiving this year, but they had a Newhart marathon, instead.

"Turkeys Away" is the funniest episode of any show that I have ever seen on television. Just seeing the clips on Youtube will cause me to laugh so hard I'll fall out of my chair.

They played that episode earlier this year. I've been saving them on my DVR because I've been unable to find the series on DVD. I know that they came out with at least one season on DVD, but I heard that the original music was snipped.

Maybe Constitutionally Speaking can help us out with more info on these supposed DVD's. :D

linda22003
12-01-2008, 01:30 PM
"The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!" - Les Nessman