PDA

View Full Version : Dalai Lama: Sex Equals Trouble.

Gingersnap
12-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Sex invariably spells trouble, says Dalai Lama

Nov 28 02:39 PM US/Eastern

The Dalai Lama, the exiled Tibetan spiritual and temporal leader, on Friday said sex spelt fleeting satisfaction and trouble later, while chastity offered a better life and "more freedom."
"Sexual pressure, sexual desire, actually I think is short period satisfaction and often, that leads to more complication," the Dalai Lama told reporters in a Lagos hotel, speaking in English without a translator.

He said conjugal life caused "too much ups and downs.

"Naturally as a human being ... some kind of desire for sex comes, but then you use human intelligence to make comprehension that those couples always full of trouble. And in some cases there is suicide, murder cases," the Dalai Lama said.

He said the "consolation" in celibacy is that although "we miss something, but at the same time, compare whole life, it's better, more independence, more freedom."

Considered a Buddhist Master exempt from the religion's wheel of death and reincarnation, the Dalai Lama waxed eloquent on the Buddhist credo of non-attachment.

"Too much attachment towards your children, towards your partner," was "one of the obstacle or hindrance of peace of mind," he said.

I guess all those cheap prayer flags will be hitting the trash can in San Francisco. :p

Just Say "No". (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=081128183857.lgjbvt92&show_article=1)

linda22003
12-01-2008, 11:31 AM
"Marriage has many pains, but celibacy has no pleasures." - Dr. Samuel Johnson

Gingersnap
12-01-2008, 11:51 AM
"Marriage has many pains, but celibacy has no pleasures." - Dr. Samuel Johnson

I don't think your serious Buddhists are in it for the short-term consolations. :D

noonwitch
12-01-2008, 01:06 PM
I don't think your serious Buddhists are in it for the short-term consolations. :D

If Buddhists give up sex, where are the future Buddhists going to come from?

If that was a riddle, I guess the answer would be Marin County, CA.

Gingersnap
12-01-2008, 01:39 PM
If Buddhists give up sex, where are the future Buddhists going to come from?

If that was a riddle, I guess the answer would be Marin County, CA.

Buddhists hope that one day there will be no more Buddhists since that would mean that everybody hit nirvana.

RobJohnson
12-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Buddhists hope that one day there will be no more Buddhists since that would mean that everybody hit nirvana.

How can you hit nirvana without having sex?

I know, I have alot of questions.

Troll
12-01-2008, 04:53 PM
The Dalai Lama, the exiled Tibetan spiritual and temporal leader, on Friday said sex spelt fleeting satisfaction and trouble later...

How would he know? :confused:

Gingersnap
12-01-2008, 05:19 PM
How would he know? :confused:

This isn't his first time around the block. :p

enslaved1
12-01-2008, 05:47 PM
This isn't his first time around the block. :p

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/righteous_slave/rotfl.gif

He said conjugal life caused "too much ups and downs

That's a punchline waiting for a joke. :D

Seriously though, the modern ideal of sex and sexuality matches up with his description pretty well. So many worries about how you measure up, how you should or if you should follow up (relationship wise) what all you can do, ect. Compared to a monogamous, committed relationship without those pressures, knowing that neither you or your spouse is going to jump ship just because.