PDA

View Full Version : Brit Booze Cheaper Than Water! (Not A Reprint From 1750)

Gingersnap
12-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Supermarkets selling alcohol cheaper than waterJulia Belluz

Research has found that it costs less to quench your thirst with alcohol than bottled water at leading supermarkets.

Discounted own-brand alcohol is sold for as little as 23p per can, according to the drink and drug charity Addaction.

This research comes on the eve of Government plans to tackle binge drinking.

New laws, to be unveiled on Wednesday, will ban pubs, clubs and shops from "irresponsible" price promotions.

The charity analysed a shopping basket of popular alcoholic drinks from supermarkets including Tesco, Sainsbury’s and ASDA.

Although the range of cheap alcohol on offer has shrunk over the past year, Addaction found that the shops are still offering their own brand of “value booze”.

Tesco Value lager cost just 23p per can, or 26.1p per unit of alcohol. This was less than the equivalent volume of bottled water.

Cider by the three supermarkets cost just 59p per litre, or less than a bottle of coke.

The Brits seem to go through these cycles every so often. Expect the Neo-Victorian period to commence shortly.

Mother's Ruin Makes A Comeback Under New Format (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article5264677.ece)

Goldwater
12-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Britain has some of the cleanest tap water in the world, why would they bother buying the bottled stuff?

Gingersnap
12-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Britain has some of the cleanest tap water in the world, why would they bother buying the bottled stuff?

Why would anybody in a country with clean water? So you can lug it around and pretend to "hydrate" yourself after walking from the parking lot to the office.

But this story is about under-priced British booze and the highly predictable social havoc it causes to British society every once in a while.

noonwitch
12-01-2008, 03:40 PM
This isn't going to lower the price of Johnny Walker Black Label, so I could care less.

My Christmas party will be just fine with the selection I give my guests of Beajoulais Nouveau, Pinot Grigio, LeBatt's Blue, or Kahlua.

RobJohnson
12-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Why would anybody in a country with clean water? So you can lug it around and pretend to "hydrate" yourself after walking from the parking lot to the office.

Living in a dry climate, I can understand how the water comes in handy.

Some water just tastes wrong...due to plumbing, hardness, chemicals, or package...

Here, everyone keeps water close by during the summer.