PDA

View Full Version : California Fires

NJCardFan
10-11-2017, 02:49 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/us/california-fires-napa/index.html

A good friend of mine lost her house and everything in it. I told her that the most important thing is that she and her family are OK. Houses can be rebuilt. People can't.

RobJohnson
10-11-2017, 03:56 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/10/us/california-fires-napa/index.html

A good friend of mine lost her house and everything in it. I told her that the most important thing is that she and her family are OK. Houses can be rebuilt. People can't.

Happy to hear that her and her family are ok.

Today when I left work I could smell the California smoke.

SarasotaRepub
10-11-2017, 08:57 AM
The destruction there is something. And those
fires are so swift when they hit.

I've seen pics of neighborhoods where all that's
left are natural gas jets that pin point where
homes used to be.

noonwitch
10-11-2017, 10:41 AM
It's also not the part of CA that usually gets the wildfires. It's north of San Francisco. Usually the fires are in southern CA.

cadillac shark
10-11-2017, 11:32 AM
With embers traveling at what one witness put at 10-miles across a valley, the wind is making it impossible to start back-fires. That's the only firefighting-tactic I know.

noonwitch
10-11-2017, 02:02 PM
With embers traveling at what one witness put at 10-miles across a valley, the wind is making it impossible to start back-fires. That's the only firefighting-tactic I know.

It's too bad we can't send some of the rain we are getting in MI today that way.

Angry Old White Man
10-11-2017, 02:19 PM
It's too bad we can't send some of the rain we are getting in MI today that way.

It amazes me that all these flood waters couldn't be used for something other than destroying cities and neighborhoods. Even a small inter coastal canal like the one that goes north to south all the way to Mexico and feeds from the Colorado river, they use that one for irrigation for the farming in the dry spots of the western US, there are places where the water would have to be routed underground due to elevation changes west to east but it is feasible but impossible to pay for. I think if they had the money to build a freeway from Mexico across America to Canada something like a water providing canal could be paid for, all they would have to do is stop giving all the tax money to the world and just spend it on our infrastructure, once we have what we need they can continue to help other nations. I also feel like they completely screwed up a chance to have emergency shelters already built for the people who are caught in these storms, they were so eager to destroy all the military bases they closed down circa 98 , most even had hospitals that could have been reopened for these emergencies. I guess if a politician can't pocket a buck off of a project it don't enter their minds.

Dlr Pyro
10-11-2017, 03:11 PM
It's also not the part of CA that usually gets the wildfires. It's north of San Francisco. Usually the fires are in southern CA.

The last big fire in that area was the Oakland fire of 1991. Killed 25 people and destroyed over 2800 homes and 437 apartments or condos. I lived in Richmond at the time and was in San Francisco the morning it started. I could see a column of smoke rapidly expand to cover the entire hills of Oakland in less than an hour. When I got back to my place on Richmond Marina I watched thru binoculars the fire advance and jump from house to house. looked like it would never be put out.

noonwitch
10-11-2017, 03:53 PM
It amazes me that all these flood waters couldn't be used for something other than destroying cities and neighborhoods. Even a small inter coastal canal like the one that goes north to south all the way to Mexico and feeds from the Colorado river, they use that one for irrigation for the farming in the dry spots of the western US, there are places where the water would have to be routed underground due to elevation changes west to east but it is feasible but impossible to pay for. I think if they had the money to build a freeway from Mexico across America to Canada something like a water providing canal could be paid for, all they would have to do is stop giving all the tax money to the world and just spend it on our infrastructure, once we have what we need they can continue to help other nations. I also feel like they completely screwed up a chance to have emergency shelters already built for the people who are caught in these storms, they were so eager to destroy all the military bases they closed down circa 98 , most even had hospitals that could have been reopened for these emergencies. I guess if a politician can't pocket a buck off of a project it don't enter their minds.

You know, people in my hometown of Grand Rapids are forever showing photographs of cisterns they discover on their property or on city property, that were for gathering rain water during WWII. If engineers could figure out a way to get more water then, they should be able to do so now. I guess they are waiting for a computer program to figure it out instead of old fashioned engineering.

SVPete
10-11-2017, 04:34 PM

Actually fires hit the all along Sierras, the Central Coast (e.g. Big Sur, a year ago), the Oakland Hills, Lake County (which is an affected area this year), the Inland Empire (e.g. San Bernardino County). September and October are the worst of the fire season.

The recent wet winter stimulated the growth of grasses and brush. Summer, always dry, transformed that brush and grasses into fuel. A fire started in the Vallejo-Napa area on a very windy day (80 mph gusts!) and you know what followed.

Santa Rosa has been hit pretty bad. They had to evacuate largish two hospitals (Kaiser and Sutter) on Monday. Lots of evacuations.

FWIW, the affected counties are 70-100 miles north of me. Monday AM when I left for work I could smell the smoke. I didn't smell it yesterday or this AM, but when I went outside an hour ago I could smell it clearly again and the sky was very smazy.

Zathras
10-11-2017, 05:53 PM
I also live in San Jose and could smell the smoke from the fires on Monday. Visability here in the South Bay is bad today. I'm currently at Apple's HQ here in Cupertino. Normally you can see the coastal mountain range to the west, about 5 miles or so away from where I'm currently sitting. Today? Can't see any mountains due to the smoke from the fires.

SVPete
10-11-2017, 08:40 PM
It's a really minor thing, compared to what residents in the affected areas are going through, but a trail race in Marin County not in an affected area that was scheduled for this weekend has been cancelled. It would have been horrible with all the smoke and junk in the air, especially for people with asthma.

I'm across the valley from Zathras, near I-880 and Brokaw Rd.. Conditions here are similar.

Dlr Pyro
10-11-2017, 09:07 PM
I also live in San Jose and could smell the smoke from the fires on Monday. Visability here in the South Bay is bad today. I'm currently at Apple's HQ here in Cupertino. Normally you can see the coastal mountain range to the west, about 5 miles or so away from where I'm currently sitting. Today? Can't see any mountains due to the smoke from the fires.

I lived on E. Homestead (address 963) in Sunnyvale from 1996 thru 1998. Back then the property across the street was a big HP campus. Now it is the Apple mothership.

Zathras
10-11-2017, 09:38 PM
I lived on E. Homestead (address 963) in Sunnyvale from 1996 thru 1998. Back then the property across the street was a big HP campus. Now it is the Apple mothership.

They're still putting the finishing touches on the Apple Mpthership and haven't shifted their HQ to the new building.

SVPete
10-11-2017, 10:06 PM
I think Pruneridge Avenue between Wolf Rd. and Lawrence Expressway pretty much is no more. Vallco Shopping Center is mostly a ghost town (anchored by Sears and Penney's!).

When I topped the US 101 overpass, driving home on I-880, I could see the east foothills in my rearview mirror. When I got home, 5 or 6 miles from the start of the Santa Cruz Mountains I could not see the mountains at all. Bay Area micro-climates.

cadillac shark
10-11-2017, 10:40 PM
Everybody out there, stay safe.

You know, people in my hometown of Grand Rapids are forever showing photographs of cisterns they discover on their property or on city property, that were for gathering rain water during WWII. If engineers could figure out a way to get more water then, they should be able to do so now. I guess they are waiting for a computer program to figure it out instead of old fashioned engineering.

A lot of laws are still on-the-books that make gathering rainwater for private use illegal. 'Rain' belongs to the community. But it seems like it's one those laws they'll bust ya for if they're already on your property to arrest you for some other charge.

Ranger Rick
10-11-2017, 11:11 PM
Got stuck on the wrong side of the Canyon Fire (the one in southern California) yesterday. Drove the 91 about 9 am, fire was there, but most of the lanes where open. News said it was only 25 acres. Coming back at four, the 91 was closed and the fire hitting 700 acres. Only took an hour and half to get home.

August of 1977 my Guard unit was called up for the Marblecone fire in Monterrey. Spent two weeks standing post in Solidad. It is a very impressive operation. Alot of money spent with very little oversight.

SVPete
10-12-2017, 11:18 AM
This AM there were flecks of ash on my car, from the fires a hundred miles away.