PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Horror Strikes Good Morning America.

Gingersnap
06-18-2008, 12:45 PM
How Dirty Are Your Shoes?
GMA Germ Alert:The Dirty Truth About Shoes Inside Your Home

By ELISABETH LEAMY and VANESSA WEBER
June 16, 2008

Do you wear your shoes in the house or leave them at the door? It's an especially important choice for people with small children who play on the floor.

Soles in tests had as many as nine forms of bacteria. In some countries and cultures, it's scandalous to walk into a home with shoes on. But in the U.S., most people do.

"I don't really think that much about it," said New Jersey mom Michelle Ciocon.

"Good Morning America" tested the bottoms of eight different people's shoes, as well as two dogs' paws, for bacteria. Ciocon's shoes contained the most bacteria of all ó 66 million organisms.

It's no reflection on her; she probably just stepped directly in something.

In a recent study, researchers at the University of Arizona found nine different species of bacteria on people's shoes. These types of bacteria can cause infections in our stomachs, eyes and lungs.

The study also found bacteria live longer on our shoes than in other places. As we walk, we constantly pick up new debris that feeds the growth of more bacteria.

The researchers tested to see if bacteria on shoes would transfer to the tile floors in a house. More than 90 percent of the time it did. Carpeting harbors bacteria even more.

It's good to see our crack investigative journalists taking a hard look at America's filthy shoe scandal. Given the current state of affairs, I expect that mandatory shoe quarantines will shortly be required in every home. :rolleyes:

Carpet Crawlies (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Consumer/story?id=5177409&page=1)

biccat
06-18-2008, 12:47 PM
I can see it now, Obama Promises $4,000 Tax Credit for Home Shoe Sanitizers

LogansPapa
06-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Make that (16) pairs of black shoes, Shannon. :cool:

Gingersnap
06-18-2008, 12:58 PM
I can see it now, Obama Promises $4,000 Tax Credit for Home Shoe Sanitizers

"Democrats Vow To Fund Low-Income Rug Doctors"

noonwitch
06-18-2008, 02:04 PM
And how many of those germs really are dangerous?

We are becoming way too germphobic in this country. Most people have resistance to germs, and if we keep spraying everything with disinfectant, we are going to lose that ability.

Gingersnap
06-18-2008, 02:37 PM
And how many of those germs really are dangerous?

We are becoming way too germphobic in this country. Most people have resistance to germs, and if we keep spraying everything with disinfectant, we are going to lose that ability.

We already are losing it. A significant number of childhood disease issues are caused by over zealous parents using anti-bacteria products and keeping their precious little snowflakes out of the dirt and away from the dog.

I use enough bleach to blind the average person but I don't lose sleep over carpet germs. If I hit the floor at my house I'll need the paramedics, not the shoe covers. ;)

LogansPapa
06-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Five Second Rule applies - just like food dropped on the floor. Just keep walking and donít stand in one place for more than 4.9 seconds and youíll be fine. ;)

SaintLouieWoman
06-18-2008, 05:18 PM
We already are losing it. A significant number of childhood disease issues are caused by over zealous parents using anti-bacteria products and keeping their precious little snowflakes out of the dirt and away from the dog.

I use enough bleach to blind the average person but I don't lose sleep over carpet germs. If I hit the floor at my house I'll need the paramedics, not the shoe covers. ;)

Well said. I've read that it's best to not use all those anti-bacteria hand cleaners constantly. I am glad that I got rid of most of the carpeting in the house, other than the bedrooms. It's way easier to clean.

Phillygirl
06-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Growing up we were never allowed to wear our shoes in the house. As soon as we hit the laundry room (the room connected to the back door), off they went. God forbid my mother see us walking on her carpets with shoes on. This quirk was reserved for family and children only. And it had nothing to do with bacteria issues...she didn't want us dirtying up her carpets. I still take my shoes off in my own house...but it's more of a comfort issue than a housekeeping issue.

megimoo
06-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Growing up we were never allowed to wear our shoes in the house. As soon as we hit the laundry room (the room connected to the back door), off they went. God forbid my mother see us walking on her carpets with shoes on. This quirk was reserved for family and children only. And it had nothing to do with bacteria issues...she didn't want us dirtying up her carpets. I still take my shoes off in my own house...but it's more of a comfort issue than a housekeeping issue.Are you Japanese then and wear a Kimono ?

SaintLouieWoman
06-18-2008, 07:28 PM
Growing up we were never allowed to wear our shoes in the house. As soon as we hit the laundry room (the room connected to the back door), off they went. God forbid my mother see us walking on her carpets with shoes on. This quirk was reserved for family and children only. And it had nothing to do with bacteria issues...she didn't want us dirtying up her carpets. I still take my shoes off in my own house...but it's more of a comfort issue than a housekeeping issue.

Did you have very light carpet or white carpet like the place Jumpy was talking about? My mom had her quirks, but that wasn't one of them.

We also take off shoes as soon as we get home, but the next study will say there's more germs on the bottoms of our feet. :rolleyes: I'm sure somewhere out there, someone has a grant and busy working on it.