PDA

View Full Version : That shiny Democrat gem that is Chicago!!!

asdf2231
12-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Such an efficient wonderland of Democrat administration!

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/snow.removal.costs.2.877966.html

Dec 2, 2008 5:29 pm US/Central
City To Cut Back On Plowing Snow On Side Streets
Streets & San: Snow On Monday Cost $490,000 To Clear
CHICAGO (CBS) ― Mayor Richard M. Daley said Tuesday that city crews will cut back on plowing side streets this winter in an effort to save money. The mayor said the city will only plow side streets during weekday union business hours this winter, rather than during overtime hours

But as CBS 2's Derrick Blakley reports if there's one city service Chicagoans demand, it's outstanding snow removal.

"I expect for the streets to be cleaned for my tax money," said Chicago resident Sarah Lockhart.

"That's the kind of spending we need to maintain," said Chicago resident Madeline Norris.

And more snow is on the way, and there could be up to five inches by Thursday morning. That will test the patience of Chicago residents.

During the snowstorm on Monday, the city Department of Streets and Sanitation was tested for the first time this season under extremely tight budgetary constraints.

City Department of Streets & Sanitation Commissioner Michael Picardi, according to the release from Streets & San, pointed out that Monday's moderate snow, which brought 2 1/2 inches to the North Side and 1 1/2 inches to the South Side, still cost $490,000 to clear because of high costs for equipment ($143,000), salt ($295,000) and workers ($51,000).

"Our full route system covers 9,456 lane miles and during a full snow program is patrolled by 274 snow-fighting trucks which use gasoline, spread salt and are operated by salaried drivers, so costs will naturally mount whenever we go out," Picardi said. "Our challenge is to find as many ways to provide this important service while still working to reduce costs."

"That was only 1.5 inches, 2.5 inches of snow. It's almost half a million dollars just like that," Mayor Daley said.

So cutbacks are necessary and the side streets will feel it first. They'll still be cleared, but not using Streets & San workers on overtime.

"Let's say we're on the main streets till 9, 10 at night. We're gonna wait until 7:00 the following morning to attack the side streets," Picardi said. "So there'll be a period when the side streets will be covered with snow."

Good Luck this winter Chi-Town CUers. If they pulled this crap in Wisconsin people would be dangling from lampposts from piano wire.

noonwitch
12-03-2008, 09:27 AM
That's nothing, compared to Detroit. The city rarely plows the side streets-they didn't at all for the first few years I lived there, when Coleman was still mayor. I got snowed in one time, when we got 25 inches of snow in about 10 hours over a NY's weekend. Luckily, my uncle plowed me out with his truck (and my block), or my neighbors and I would have been stuck there for a week.

Former Mayor Archer did start having them plow the side streets, but only if they get over a certain number of inches of snow. I think it's 5 inches, but I could be wrong. As long as the garbage trucks and police cars can get through, they don't plow.

ralph wiggum
12-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Maybe the city could use some of that extra revenue from the parking meters to clean the damn side streets! :mad:

I never had much of a problem with the streets, but the alleys were murder to get out of.

blueyonder
12-03-2008, 07:43 PM
And to think our new President comes from this logical thinking town. LOL
;) This is going to be fun.

jeskibuff
12-03-2008, 08:06 PM
The mayor said the city will only plow side streets during weekday union business hours this winter, rather than during overtime hours
This is liberal-speak for "if you really want what you think you need, you're just going to have to accept our handy-dandy little tax hike. Just sign right here on the dotted line.

Some counties in Florida did the same thing...was it Labor Day?? To cut costs, they closed some parks on the holiday. Duh. Why not instead close the parks on days when there is little demand for their use? Few people will care if a park is closed on say Tuesday and Thursday, but how many people would normally enjoy a holiday outing at a public park?

It's just another way for the government to say "if you really want it, you're just going to have to pay more for it".