PDA

View Full Version : Wintry Wednesday.

Gingersnap
12-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Brrrrrr! It's cold and dreary here today. We're having that sort of spiteful snow that always reminds me of the Donner party. It's not heavy but it's cheerless.

TOTD: If you could wave a magic wand and change one thing about the celebration of Christmas in our society, what would you change? Now, don't play around with the theology. I'm talking about customs, traditions, spending sprees, food, music, tinsel, that barking dog song - that sort of thing. :D

RobJohnson
12-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Good Morning.

I was able to bring my mom home late yesterday afternoon from the hospital and she is doing ok. I stayed with her last night, and will for at least the rest of the day, as she is full of medical restrictons and due to the nature of the surgery there are some personal care issues.

The nurse said I have to drain my mom's WHAT??? :eek::D

TOTD:

Playing Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer should be a capital crime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPaGQEskSKM

M21
12-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Hopefully a huge and mighty winter storm of epic proportions will descend upon us leaving only two things in the state still running; my jeep, and the ski lifts. :D

TOTD: In the spirit of my tree huggingness I'd use my magic wand to stop the senseless killing of Christmas trees.

movie buff
12-03-2008, 01:35 PM
TOTD: And I take it there's nothing that can be done about the secularization of the holidays wih the wand?
Okay, here's a music related one:
On the radio, each of these songs should be played at least once every day or two, during times when I'm driving and listening to the radio (Most would be on the Christian radio stations):
Rebecca St. James, "Hark the Herald Angels Sing"
Jessie Daniels, "Little Drummer Boy" (I LOVE how she sings it, it ties with the Bing Crosby/ David Bowie duet as my favorite cover of that song)
Faith Hill, "Where are You, Christmas?"
Stacie Orrico, "My Christmas Wish"
Any of the songs from BarlowGirl's recent Christmas album.
And, yeah, "Grandma Got Run Over" should be officially banned!

M21
12-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Any of the songs from BarlowGirl's recent Christmas album.

My wand is bigger than your wand! :D

asdf2231
12-03-2008, 03:35 PM
TOTD

Fruitcake would be punishable by rendition.

Seriously.

FlaGator
12-03-2008, 03:52 PM
TOTD: I would use the wand to beat senseless any one who complains about how hard it was to find a parking space at the mall.

RobJohnson
12-03-2008, 04:09 PM
TOTD

Fruitcake would be punishable by rendition.

Seriously.

Oh crap, I just mailed you one for Christmas.

This always happens, I pick out the wrong gift.:D

linda22003
12-03-2008, 05:32 PM
TOTD: And I take it there's nothing that can be done about the secularization of the holidays wih the wand?

Of course there is. For example, we do the Advent candles and readings every Sunday evening, at home. And my husband is Jewish. :)

The secularity of your Christmas is up to you.

Gingersnap
12-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Of course there is. For example, we do the Advent candles and readings every Sunday evening, at home. And my husband is Jewish. :)

The secularity of your Christmas is up to you.

I think he meant that he couldn't change that aspect according to the rules of my TOTD. ;)

I would wave my magic wand and eliminate spray-on "snow", bad Christmas cookies, and characters from cartoons or commercials being featured as "part of the holiday tradition". Neither penguins nor polar bears are part of my holiday tradition.

I would make everybody fall in love with good bourbon fruit cake. :)

linda22003
12-03-2008, 05:48 PM
I would make everybody fall in love with good bourbon fruit cake. :)

My wish is exactly the same! Except for the last two words in that sentence.

Bubba Dawg
12-03-2008, 07:52 PM
I would make it impossible to gain excess weight eating all holiday foods and beverages. :D

JB
12-03-2008, 08:18 PM
I would make it impossible to gain excess weight eating all holiday foods and beverages. :DAre you wearing your vagina today? :p

TOTD: The word XMAS.

asdf2231
12-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Oh crap, I just mailed you one for Christmas.

This always happens, I pick out the wrong gift.:D

So what do you want for your rendition? Mid-South Atlantic Freighter Prison or Abandoned SAC base in the Aleutians?

Bubba Dawg
12-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Are you wearing your vagina today? :p

TOTD: The word XMAS.

Nope. My Saint Nick outfit. So, Yes Vagina There is a Santa Claus. :p

Gingersnap
12-03-2008, 09:04 PM
My wish is exactly the same! Except for the last two words in that sentence.

You simply haven't had the right fruit cake. My fruit cakes are the stuff of legend. They put up a DUI screening check at every post office I mail them to this month. Hint: I baked them last month and have been lovingly giving them "sips" every few nights ever since.

They are moist, aromatic, festive, and lethal. :D

linda22003
12-04-2008, 11:55 AM
You simply haven't had the right fruit cake. My fruit cakes are the stuff of legend.

Actually, the bourbon fruitcakes that the Trappist monks make at Gethsemani aren't bad. Neither are their cheeses, especially the smoky one.

http://www.gethsemanifarms.org/

Space Gravy
12-04-2008, 03:33 PM
TOTD:

I would have it on a set day like Memorial Day is always on a Monday or Thanksgiving Day is always on a Thursday regardless of the date.

It's awkward having Holidays in the middle of the week. It's easier to travel if you want to see relatives and less disruptive for workplaces.