PDA

View Full Version : Penn teaching assistant says: I will always call on my Black women students first

Banacek
10-22-2017, 01:59 PM
Maybe my political science professor didn’t hate me.

Maybe every time I gave him the “Please, Baby Jesus, don’t call on me” look, and he did anyway, he was actually trying to encourage me, a first-generation college student who felt as if she didn’t belong, and that whatever she said wasn’t as smart as whatever the more extroverted students had to say.

If that was the case, I probably owe that man an apology for all the horrible things I wished on him as I gathered the courage to speak, and I’m glad Twitter wasn’t around when he was trying to get quieter students to speak more. Because apparently, encouraging marginalized students to participate in class is controversial.

Who knew?

Stephanie McKellop, a graduate student teaching assistant at University of Pennsylvania, knows.

On Oct. 16, McKellop tweeted:

“I will always call on my Black women students first. Other POC get second tier priority. [White Women] come next. And, if I have to, white men.”

The whole article must be read. The columnist who wrote this piece states that it is a poor description of a teaching method to get minorities and women to become more engaged in the classroom.

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/helen_ubinas/university-of-pennsylvania-teaching-assistant-mckellop-progressive-stacking-20171020.html

ralph wiggum
10-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Ya' know, in 4 years of high school, 4+ years of college and grad school, never gave a damn about the gender or race of who might be called upon in class. It never entered my mind.