PDA

View Full Version : Weddings most common path to U.S. citizenship, residency for foreign nationals

megimoo
12-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Terrorists, criminal aliens marry Americans

"Marry me and I'll Pay Off All Of Your Credit Cards Works with most U.S. Woman !"

A new report reveals previously deported criminals and terrorists who want to enter or remain in the U.S. sometimes do so by finding an American to marry.

The Center for Immigration Studies reported the most common path to U.S. citizenship or residency for foreign nationals is by marrying an American. More than 2.3 million people entered the U.S. between 1998 and 2007 this way.

According to the report by former consular officer David Seminara, foreigners who wed U.S. citizens receive "immediate" preference status for immigrant visas. A full 27 percent of all green cards issued in 2007 were to spouses of Americans nearly twice as many as those issued for employment-related purposes.

"Most relationships between Americans and foreign nationals are legitimate," Seminara writes, "but because of the prevalence of sham marriages, legitimate international couples can face longer wait times due to the huge number of bogus marriage petitions that bog down an already slow and cumbersome visa bureaucracy."

Center for Immigration Studies chart based on Department of Homeland Security statistics

The problem is evident when one takes into consideration frequent arrests for marriage fraud schemes and the thousands of websites that arrange scam marriages, he said.

He listed the following common types of marriage fraud:

Mail order bride arrangements
Phony "arranged" marriages in cultures where arranged marriage is still common. Cash-for-vows weddings, where Americans are paid to wed.

Friends-and-family plans, where someone pitches in to help get someone else's spouse to the United States.
"I do, I don't, I do" marriages where foreign nationals divorce their spouses in their home countries, marry Americans, and get green cards two years later; then divorce the Americans, remarry their original spouses, and petition to bring them to the United States.

Pop-up marriages for visa lottery winners. Green card winners can bring their spouses to the United States, so many suddenly find financial incentive to marry shortly after winning the lottery.
Exploitative relationships where Americans petition for persons they intend to traffic or exploit in some way.
Heartbreakers, where foreigners dupe Americans into believing their intentions are true, when they actually just want a green card.

While visa applicants are required to submit to FBI criminal background checks, Seminara said FBI investigations rarely turn up crimes committed overseas.

"Also, if an applicant has a criminal history, but hasn't been convicted of a crime of moral turpitude," he wrote, "he or she is still eligible to immigrate to the United States. This means that consular officers can't screen out obvious gang members, petty criminals, or thugs with numerous arrests, but no convictions."

According to Seminara, United States Citizenship and Immigration Service officials are often "flying blind" when they review marriage petitions because they only have paperwork such as petitions, marriage and birth certificates, passports, photos and other documents to determine legitimacy of relationships.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=82584

noonwitch
12-04-2008, 12:40 PM
That's no surprise to me, living in a border city. I know an immigration attorney-between arranging citizenship for couples who meet in bars in Windsor and fall in love, arranging for foreigners to come here for medical treatment, and dealing with the dumb girls who marry muslim foreigners, he's not suffering during this recession.