PDA

View Full Version : German Afghan troops drank 1.8 million pints of beer and 70,000 litres of wine

megimoo
12-03-2008, 08:12 PM
More than 1.8 million pints of beer were shipped to German troops in Afghanistan last year, according to military sources.

Almost 70,000 litres of wine and seat, a German sparkling wine, was also shipped to the soldiers, the defence ministry figures showed.

The figures imply that the 3,600 German troops in Afghanistan as part of Nato's ISA operation are each drinking around 490 pints or beer as well as 128 normal measures of wine.

The revelations have provided ammunition to critics of Germany's role in the Afghan mission.

Some claim that German troops spend too much time in the relatively safe areas in the north of the country.

British soldiers are only allowed to drink moderate amounts of alcohol while US soldiers are banned from consuming it completely.

The German defence ministry defended their troops, saying that consumption was well within the allowed limit, The Guardian newspaper reported.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/3461839/German-troops-in-Afghanistan-drunk-more-than-1.8m-pints-last-year.html

Phillygirl
12-03-2008, 08:32 PM
heh. The Germans are quite generous with sharing their stash with the members of the NGO's and the locals...who also aren't supposed to be drinking.

megimoo
12-03-2008, 08:44 PM
German soldiers are 'too fat to fight' Taliban because they drink so much (while our boys go dry)

They drink too much and they're too fat to fight, that's the damning conclusion of German parliamentary reports into the country's 3,500 troops stationed in Afghanistan.

While British and U.S. troops in the country face a strict ban on alcohol, their German comrades are allowed two pints a day.

The stunning statistics reveal that in 2007 German forces in northern Afghanistan drank 1.7million pints of beer and 90,000 bottles of wine.

The troops also downed 896,000 pints of beer in the first six months of this year, the Times reported.

The statistics only add to the embarrassment of the country's federal army, Bundeswehr, after a report earlier this year found troops to be too fat, smoked too much and didn't exercise enough.
It showed they lived on beer and sausages while shunning fruit and vegetables.

The parliamentary report claimed that some 40 per cent of all German army personnel are overweight - a higher percentage than in the civilian population.

At the time Reinhold Robbe, the parliamentary commissioner for the armed forces, stated: 'Plainly put, the soldiers are too fat, exercise too little, and take little care of their diet.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1091559/German-soldiers-fat-fight-Taliban-drink-boys-dry.html

marinejcksn
12-04-2008, 06:14 AM
I got 2 beers (MGD...:() for the Marine Corps Birthday and Sergeant Schultz is downing the sweet nectar by the gallon?!?!?! :mad::mad::mad:

djones520
12-04-2008, 06:24 AM
I got 2 beers (MGD...:() for the Marine Corps Birthday and Sergeant Schultz is downing the sweet nectar by the gallon?!?!?! :mad::mad::mad:

At Manas (Kyrgyzstan) we got 2 beers a night, two nights a week. That was if you didn't get invited to the parties that the Spanish detachment threw. They had themselves lots of booze...

marinejcksn
12-04-2008, 07:14 AM
At Manas (Kyrgyzstan) we got 2 beers a night, two nights a week. That was if you didn't get invited to the parties that the Spanish detachment threw. They had themselves lots of booze...

I have a buddy who was with my unit a few years back, he said Kyrgyzstan is the best country he was ever sent to since he's been in the Corps (and we were both in Thailand together:eek:), that is, in terms of the female populace. Any truth to that?

djones520
12-04-2008, 07:22 AM
I have a buddy who was with my unit a few years back, he said Kyrgyzstan is the best country he was ever sent to since he's been in the Corps (and we were both in Thailand together:eek:), that is, in terms of the female populace. Any truth to that?

Truest thing I ever heard. We got to spend a day off base while I was there. Our guide said that the female to male ration in Bishkek (Capital City) was about 3:1. And I can tell you with a straight face that I didn't see a single ugly Kyrgy woman.

marinejcksn
12-04-2008, 07:29 AM
That's what he was saying! Ditto with the foreign women in that country, he said a lot of women come from all over the former Eastern European block to go to college there & it was just a great time.

One thing about the military, you can really get to visit some amazing places. I always love coming back to the USA though. So far I've been in over a dozen countries I can think of off the top of my head and I've only been in 6 & 1/2 years. :D:cool: