PDA

View Full Version : Thursday and Thirty

FlaGator
12-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Well at least it didn't freeze last night. The weather guy said that the November that we just put behind us was the coldest November in decades and December is shaping up to be more of the same. Kind of sucks to be a member of the Church of Global Warming right now. Faith in the Goracle is slipping. All in all it should be a really nice day. Sunshine and temps around 70.

TOTD: Class Reunions. Is it really worth going to class reunions? I got notification in email this morning that my 30 year high school class reunion was being held this summer and since I haven't attended a reunion before I wonder if I should bother with this one. Most of the people that I was close friends with in high school I am still in touch. There are a couple of girls I dated that I would like to see what they are like now but other than that I not very excited about going. What are your experiences? Did you enjoy your reunions? Should I stay or should I go now..... What are your thoughts?

Milly
12-04-2008, 08:28 AM
It kinda' depends on your stomach for re-living your high school years.

I was one of the under-the radar, average kids - neither geeky or cliquiey- and I couldn't get out of high school fast enough. It was my four years in the desert that allowed me to go to college, which was WAY better.

If my reunions are true to form, and you can observe them dispassionately, they're interesting to attend, at least once. (I pretended I was Margaret Mead observing some strange ritual.)

Unfortunately, the people I wanted to see didn't attend, all of them being busy doing interesting things elsewhere.

FYI, the guys change more than the girls, due to hair and beard issues.:)

asdf2231
12-04-2008, 08:37 AM
I skipped my 20 year but there were a surprising number of folks that tried to get ahold of me in the run up.

I almost wish I had been able to make it.

Gingersnap
12-04-2008, 09:43 AM
It's about 15 F here and snowing. This entire "winter" thing is overrated.

TOTD: I'm more or less with Milly. Being in high school was like being a prisoner in a work-release program. Those people I had a relationship with, I kept in touch with, and I don't feel any pressing need to interact with the others.

I was just reading something that indicated that physical reunions may be going the way of the Dodo since people already have TMI experiences with their classmates via Facebook and MySpace.

Zathras
12-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Clear and mild here in San Jose Ca...mid 60's

TODT: I graduated in 1977 and have been to only one class reunion, my 10 year one. Nobody I knew in school attended and I was bored out of my mind because I didn't know anyone there. I ended up leaving before dinner was served and haven't been to one since.

biccat
12-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Weather sucks here. But at least it's better than yesterday, when highway traffic was 30 mph because of the snow and ice.

It's too freaking cold out. Sometimes I wonder why I live north of the Mason-Dixon.

TOTD: Didn't go to the fifth, might go to the tenth. My wife is threatening to make me go to hers, so I feel it's only fair to subject her to the same torture on my side.

RobJohnson
12-04-2008, 04:39 PM
A great day. Overcast and 59 degrees with weekend highs expected of 70.

TOTD: I went to a small private school, so they combined several years into one reunion. We were all pretty close, no matter what grade we were in, something you don't see at alot of other schools.

So there has only been one, and others have found me via the internet. Classmates is a great place to look up old friends. In the automotive and resturant business, everyday was like a class reunion, always running into someone that I went to school with. Since I went to more then one school, it gave me a chance to catch up with many different people.

SarasotaRepub
12-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Nice and sunny here today but cold. It's 28 now.

Not interested in class reunions very much. :D

M21
12-04-2008, 11:24 PM
COLD!

I've never been to one, but I attend a specific military reunion each year.

Living in La
12-05-2008, 07:59 AM
I went to my ten year reunion and was terribly disappointed. The cliques were still the cliques, nothing had changed much except hairlines and waistlines.