PDA

View Full Version : Hyper-Stupidity In Action.

Gingersnap
12-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Okay, my BF and her husband are normal people with excellent problem-solving skills, foresight, and common sense. Their 20 something daughter is another story.

The daughter went to Wyoming this weekend to visit relatives. The daughter lives in a new duplex and she just bought this place a couple of months ago. She shrewdly decided to "save money" while she was gone by turning off her furnace in Colorado in November!

When she returned Sunday the house was at 35 degrees and too cold to live in (duh). She turned the furnace back on and spent the night with her parents. Her mother told her to check the house before going to work on Monday because the pipes might be damaged. She did and they were.

The entire first floor was flooded as well as the crawlspace.

Triple Bonus Points Stupidity: She didn't get insurance to cover damage to the inside of the house. :eek:

This woman is college educated. She attended the best public schools in this state. She has a real job. I'm just astonished, her mother is insane, and her dad is ready to kick her. :eek:

Have you ever heard of anything this stupid?

linda22003
12-04-2008, 01:31 PM
I can top that. At least this girl was a twentysomething. I knew a man who was well into his forties who did the same thing to "save money". His wife told him not to.... and sure enough, he had the same result. :rolleyes:

linda22003
12-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Oh, and you'll love this - his rationale was that since they lived in a townhouse with other houses on each side of them, the other houses would "keep theirs warm enough". :eek:

Gingersnap
12-04-2008, 01:58 PM
That's pretty bad, all right.

It's not that I haven't stupid things from time to time, it's that I don't do predictable and catastrophic things. That's why I'm still in awe of the stupidity here.

Zeus
12-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Your Boyfriend and her husband :eek:

:p

linda22003
12-04-2008, 02:07 PM
You apparently don't speak Chick as a second language. That's "Best Friend". BFF is "Best Friend Forever", a concept that does not even exist in Malespeak.

Happy to help.

biccat
12-04-2008, 02:17 PM
You apparently don't speak Chick as a second language. That's "Best Friend". BFF is "Best Friend Forever", a concept that does not even exist in Malespeak.

Happy to help.
The concepts do exist in Malespeak, the appropriate terms would be "guys" and "buds".

We men are far to nuanced for the female mind to comprehend.

Gingersnap
12-04-2008, 02:27 PM

Happy to help.

She actually is my BFF but I knew there was no way the guys on the board would understand that. They'd think it was some kind of new sex term off craigslist. :p

linda22003
12-04-2008, 02:31 PM
She actually is my BFF but I knew there was no way the guys on the board would understand that. They'd think it was some kind of new sex term off craigslist. :p

And then would come the inevitable call for pictures. :rolleyes:

M21
12-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Have you ever heard of anything this stupid?

Yup. I had a friend do the same and I got a call from his neighbors while he was on vacation asking me if it was "right" that water was pouring out of his basement and down the mountainside? :eek:

I blasted over there and got it all shut down. They have a t-shirt for sale that reads "It seemed like a good idea at the time"

megimoo
12-04-2008, 02:39 PM
And then would come the inevitable call for pictures. :rolleyes:hopefully not,I have a 'touchie' stomach !

FlaGator
12-04-2008, 02:42 PM

After those commercials from some cell company about unlimited texting I would have though that everyone knew what BFF was.

Zeus
12-04-2008, 02:46 PM
I didn't think it possible to get homeowners insurance that didn't cover personal property to a certain extent. Personal property coverage is tied to structure coverage. More than likely they didn't have water damage coverage.

I remember going round & round with an Insurance agent about that yrs back. my point was some folks may have a lower priced house full of personal Goodies or conversely spent so much on the house they can't afford expensive goodies.

BadCat
12-04-2008, 02:53 PM
More evidence for my stance on requiring tests for people to qualify them for certain things...

Buying a house.
Getting married.
Having kids...

My list is almost endless.

noonwitch
12-04-2008, 03:00 PM
My sister did that once-she and her family moved to a new house and couldn't sell their old one. They forgot to pay the gas bill one month at the old house, and it got shut off and the pipes burst. Her insurance covered it, though, and her real estate agent felt badly enough to help a little with the deductable, as she was supposed to be checking on things and had missed getting the bill to my sister.