PDA

View Full Version : Virgins taste test challenge

PoliCon
12-04-2008, 11:23 PM
"What happens if you take Transylvanian farmers who have never eaten a burger and ask them to compare Whopper versus Big Mac in the world's purest taste test?" one of the adverts asks. "Will they prefer the Whopper? These are the Whopper Virgins."

The "undeniable" results of the chain's "unbiased" global research which involved "13 planes, two dog sleds and one helicopter" will be unveiled in a documentary next week, according to whoppervirgins.com, the website promoting the campaign.

"If you want a real opinion about a burger, ask someone who doesn't even have a word for burger," states the site to a haunting theme of drums and pan pipes. "Watch the whopper virgins take their first bite."

But critics have slammed the campaign as insulting and exploitative.

"It's outrageous," Sharon Akabas of the Institute of Human Nutrition at Columbia University, told the New York Daily News. "What's next? Are we going to start taking guns out to some of these remote places and ask them which one they like better?" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3546969/Burger-King-under-fire-for-Whopper-Virgins-taste-test-challenge.html

You have to laugh . . . .

zBoots
12-04-2008, 11:59 PM
. "What's next? Are we going to start taking guns out to some of these remote places and ask them which one they like better?" .

They say that like it would be a bad thing.

Celtic Rose
12-05-2008, 12:11 AM
When I saw the title I immediately thought of a really bizarre song by the the Brobdingnagian Bards. Fun song :p (MP3 download here (http://www.thebards.net/music/lyrics/Do_Virgins_Taste_Better.shtml), I couldn't find any good youtube vids)

A dragon has come to our village today.
We've asked him to leave, but he won't go away.
Now he's talked to our king and they worked out a deal.
No homes will he burn and no crops will he steal.

Now there is but one catch, we dislike it a bunch.
Twice a year he invites him a virgin to lunch.
Well, we've no other choice, so the deal we'll respect.
But we can't help but wonder and pause to reflect.

Do virgins taste better than those who are not?
Are they salty, or sweeter, more juicy or what?
Do you savor them slowly? Gulp them down on the spot?
Do virgins taste better than those who are not?

Now we'd like to be shed you, and many have tried.
But no one can get through your thick scaly hide.
We hope that some day, some brave knight will come by.
'Cause we can't wait around 'til you're too fat to fly.

Now you have such good taste in your women for sure,
They always are pretty, they always are pure.
But your notion of dining, it makes us all flinch,
For your favorite entree is barbecued wench.

Now we've found a solution, it works out so neat,
If you insist on nothing but virgins to eat.
No more will our number ever grow small,
We'll simply make sure there's no virgins at all!

CueSi
12-05-2008, 12:41 AM
They say that like it would be a bad thing.

Heh. I'm sure they know what a gun is.

~QC

Gingersnap
12-05-2008, 09:44 AM
The manufactured outrage over this stunt is hilarious! Here again we have the Western-food-is-poison meme alongside the people-who-live-in-huts-are-just-as-dumb-as-your-5-year-old meme. :rolleyes:

Where's the outrage that educated Americans have been enticed to sit on the ground and eat with their hands in Moroccan restaurants? Who tricked us into eating raw fish? Why are we eating feedlot additives?

I'm sure glad that yoga-posing, latte-sucking, urban loft dwellers are looking out for the best interests of foreigners who actually work for a living. God forbid that some subsistence farmers agree that they "deserve a break today" and eat a burger instead of grinding a peck of barley and washing it down goat milk.

Odysseus
12-05-2008, 09:59 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3546969/Burger-King-under-fire-for-Whopper-Virgins-taste-test-challenge.html
"What happens if you take Transylvanian farmers who have never eaten a burger and ask them to compare Whopper versus Big Mac in the world's purest taste test?" one of the adverts asks. "Will they prefer the Whopper? These are the Whopper Virgins."
You have to laugh . . . .

When I hear the words Transylvanians, virgins and taste test, the last thing that comes to mind is hamburgers. :D

PoliCon
12-05-2008, 10:33 AM
When I hear the words Transylvanians, virgins and taste test, the last thing that comes to mind is hamburgers. :DYou know - I was kinda thinking the same thing!;)

noonwitch
12-05-2008, 11:30 AM
The manufactured outrage over this stunt is hilarious! Here again we have the Western-food-is-poison meme alongside the people-who-live-in-huts-are-just-as-dumb-as-your-5-year-old meme. :rolleyes:

Where's the outrage that educated Americans have been enticed to sit on the ground and eat with their hands in Moroccan restaurants? Who tricked us into eating raw fish? Why are we eating feedlot additives?

I'm sure glad that yoga-posing, latte-sucking, urban loft dwellers are looking out for the best interests of foreigners who actually work for a living. God forbid that some subsistence farmers agree that they "deserve a break today" and eat a burger instead of grinding a peck of barley and washing it down goat milk.

People who get all outraged over our unhealthy fast food obviously think that those of us who like it are eating it all the time. If you eat that stuff every day, it is unhealthy (at least for everyone over 25). I treat myself to a Whopper every month or so, and eat Egg McMuffins only when I am travelling. When I was a teen, I'd eat at McDonald's or Wendy's at least twice a week. I'll never forget my then-17 year old brother's average meal at Wendy's-a triple, a single, a bowl of chili, a large fries, a medium pop and a Frostie. He was 6'2 and weighed 170, despite eating like this.

According to my mom, who although she is crazy, she is a retired nurse, sushi is dangerous eating. She told me this after hearing me discuss some that I tried and liked. She said there is no way to guarantee that raw fish is free of toxins or disease. Although she doesn't think fast food is healthy, she does think it's safer than some of that foreign food.

Odysseus
12-05-2008, 04:17 PM
People who get all outraged over our unhealthy fast food obviously think that those of us who like it are eating it all the time. If you eat that stuff every day, it is unhealthy (at least for everyone over 25). I treat myself to a Whopper every month or so, and eat Egg McMuffins only when I am travelling. When I was a teen, I'd eat at McDonald's or Wendy's at least twice a week. I'll never forget my then-17 year old brother's average meal at Wendy's-a triple, a single, a bowl of chili, a large fries, a medium pop and a Frostie. He was 6'2 and weighed 170, despite eating like this.

According to my mom, who although she is crazy, she is a retired nurse, sushi is dangerous eating. She told me this after hearing me discuss some that I tried and liked. She said there is no way to guarantee that raw fish is free of toxins or disease. Although she doesn't think fast food is healthy, she does think it's safer than some of that foreign food.

As long as the sushi is prepared properly, it's safe (with the exception of blowfish, but the risk is part of the appeal). OTOH, a lot of organic produce is extremely unsafe due to high levels of e-coli from organic fertilizers, and in almost every case of food poisoning to come out of a fast food restaurant, the culprit has turned out to be the produce, rather than the meat or bread products (remember the tomatoes at Taco Bell a few years ago?).

biccat
12-05-2008, 04:23 PM
This is part of the reason that I limit myself to shrimp or smoked eel sushi. Occasionally I'll have some tuna, but that's the limit of my sushi experience.

Odysseus
12-05-2008, 05:02 PM
This is part of the reason that I limit myself to shrimp or smoked eel sushi. Occasionally I'll have some tuna, but that's the limit of my sushi experience.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm... ...virgins..., uh, I mean, tuna... D'oh!
http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/gallery/images/HomerSimpson61.gif

GrumpyOldLady
12-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Transylvanians? Wonder if they ordered their burgers RARE! :D

Seriously though - hamburgers like that are an American thing.

Doing this taste test with Transylvanians is like taking expensive French wines to a head hunting tribe in the south pacific and asking them which one is better. (perhaps that was a bad example - since the French put bovine bloood in their wines).

but you know what I mean.