PDA

View Full Version : Fat collie found frozen to sidewalk

bijou
12-05-2008, 03:03 PM
SHEBOYGAN, Wis. (AP) A dog weighing more than 120 pounds survived being frozen to a sidewalk overnight, probably because he was insulated by layers of fat, authorities said. The Sheboygan County Humane Society says the "morbidly obese" dog, an aging border collie mix named Jiffy, froze to the sidewalk when he was left out overnight Wednesday. Shelter manager Carey Payne says few dogs could survive the single-digit temperatures, and it was probably the fat that made the difference.

Jiffy's 59-year-old owner was arrested Thursday morning on suspicion of animal neglect, Sheboygan Police Lt. Tim Eirich said. She told police she tried to get the dog inside but couldn't, and instead checked on him every few hours.
...link (http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iAEktIt8EwZ507DphptcsoMo6y5wD94SNTNO0)

I expect the idiot owner took snacks out to it too. :(

Gingersnap
12-05-2008, 03:07 PM
That's one fat collie, all right. :eek:

noonwitch
12-05-2008, 03:34 PM
That's one fat collie, all right. :eek:

That's nothing, my grandma had a 65 lb cocker spaniel when we were kids. I should mention that Grandma was 5'2" and weighed 265 lbs. Buffy ate whenever Grandma ate, plus, Grandpa used to share his Miller beer with the dog (Buffy would only drink Miller, he wouldn't drink my dad's Bud).

Rebel Yell
12-05-2008, 04:00 PM
SOMEWHEREIN, FL. (AP) — A dog weighing more than 120 pounds survived being frozen to a sidewalk overnight, probably because she was insulated by layers of fat, authorities said. The Sheboygan County Humane Society says the "morbidly obese" dog, an aging border collie mix named Shannon, froze to the sidewalk when she was left out overnight Wednesday. Shelter manager Carey Payne says few dogs could survive the single-digit temperatures, and it was probably the fat that made the difference.

Jiffy's 59-year-old owner, Dark Scribe was arrested Thursday morning on suspicion of animal neglect, Sheboygan Police Lt. Tim Eirich said. He told police he tried to get the dog inside but couldn't, and instead checked on her every few hours.

Fixed ;):D

Thank God it's the end of the day on Friday. I can hide from Shannon until she cools off Monday.

jinxmchue
12-05-2008, 04:18 PM
She should've tried warm water and a spatula.

Gingersnap
12-05-2008, 05:43 PM
She should've tried warm water and a spatula.

A steak strategically positioned 3 feet in front of the dog would have probably worked as well.

megimoo
12-05-2008, 06:06 PM
A steak strategically positioned 3 feet in front of the dog would have probably worked as well.But would have left about a yard of belly hair !