PDA

View Full Version : Judge Releases 19-Year-Old Charged in Facebook Video Torture of Disabled Chicago Teen

Banacek
12-11-2017, 01:28 PM
The first of four Chicago suspects accused of beating and torturing a disabled teenager and broadcasting the attack on Facebook has pleaded guilty, but a judge let her off without prison time, a report says.

Brittany Covington, 19, pleaded guilty to a hate crime in court on Friday, according to the Chicago Tribune.

The suspect also “pleaded guilty to aggravated battery and intimidation charges. As part of a plea deal, prosecutors dropped additional charges, including kidnapping,” the Tribune said.

Despite the guilty plea, Cook County Circuit Judge William Hooks released Covington without jail time. Telling Covington, “Do not mess this up,” Judge Hooks imposed 200 hours of community service and banned Covington from using social media and having contact with her co-defendants for four years.

I'd be curious to know what the sentence would have been if the situation had been reversed and the defendant had been white ? My obviously cynical opinion is that Chicago would have gone up in flames.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/12/09/judge-releases-19-year-old-charged-facebook-video-torture-disabled-chicago-teen/

noonwitch
12-11-2017, 02:30 PM
The link didn't work for me.

I was wondering if the plea deal had anything to do with this woman testifying against the others. That would make it a little more understandable. Then again, they posted their deeds on facebook, I don't know how much testimony the prosecution really needs from a codefendant.