PDA

View Full Version : Soft Drinks No. 1 Purchase by Food Stamp Recipients

Banacek
12-11-2017, 02:06 PM
Soft drinks were the top commodity bought by food stamp recipients shopping at outlets run by a single U.S. grocery retailer.

That is according to a new study released by the Food and Nutrition Service, the federal agency responsible for running the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), commonly known as the food stamp program.

By contrast, milk was the top commodity bought from the same retailer by customers not on food stamps.

In calendar year 2011, according to the study, food stamp recipients spent approximately $357,700,000 buying soft drinks from an enterprise the study reveals only as “a leading U.S. grocery retailer.”

That was more than they spent on any other “food” commodity—including milk ($253,700,000), ground beef ($201,000,000), “bag snacks” ($199,300,000) or “candy-packaged” ($96,200,000), which also ranked among the top purchases

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/357700000-1-grocery-chain-soft-drinks-no-1-purchase-food-stamp

Dlr Pyro
12-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Why doesn't the USDA regulate and prohibit any foods that are essentially empty calories from being eligible for purchase with food stamps?

Rockntractor
12-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Sugar is carbs, not necessarily bad for everyone.

noonwitch
12-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Why doesn't the USDA regulate and prohibit any foods that are essentially empty calories from being eligible for purchase with food stamps?

On the whole, I hate all those proposed rules for people on the Food Stamp program, like "no steaks", when steak is a perfectly acceptable meal or ingredient to a meal and it is frequently on sale. Most fish is more expensive, anyways, and no one is saying "no catfish".

But feeding your kids who are still growing pop instead of milk or juice doesn't need to be rewarded. I drank plenty of Faygo as a kid, but I drank milk with lunch and dinner unless we were at a restaurant.

Banacek
12-12-2017, 05:25 PM
The USDA/Food Stamp Mission Statement

The Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) and Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion (CNPP) are agencies of USDA’s Food, Nutrition, and Consumer Services.

FNS works to end hunger and obesity through the administration of 15 federal nutrition assistance programs including WIC, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), and school meals. In partnership with State and Tribal governments, our programs serve one in four Americans during the course of a year. Working with our public, private and non-profit partners, our mission is to increase food security and reduce hunger by providing children and low-income people access to food,a healthful diet and nutrition education in a way that supports American agriculture and inspires public confidence. No American should have to go hungry.

We are committed to ensuring access to healthy and safe food for those participating in our programs including expecting mothers; infants and children in child care and school; low-income families going to food banks; local farmers markets; and local supermarkets. These are investments that support education, health care, and a competitive workforce.

We are committed to the sound stewardship of taxpayer dollars through aggressive efforts to reduce and prevent fraud and increase efficiency.

This fourth paragraph is meant for comic relief

https://www.fns.usda.gov/about-fns

I came into possession of an old Sandvik hand saw. The blade was rusty. I looked on-line on how to remove the rust without ruining the etching on the blade. The easiest suggestion was to soak it in CoCa-Cola. The poster stated that the phosphoric acid in the Coca-Cola would dissolve the rust. Several treatments might be necessary depending on the level of rust.

Between the sugar or "artificial sweetener" and phosphoric acid, many soft drinks might not be qualified as part of a "healthy diet" or a "healthy and safe food" in my opinion.

Ole Cowboy
12-12-2017, 09:00 PM
I for one used to support rules for welfare, no cigs, booze, lobster etc etc.

Today I have completely changed my mind. Lets just give the a bi-weekly lump sum in cash to cover ALL that they are eligible for (rent, cell fone, food, utilities etc etc etc). Let them do with it as they see fit.

This is America no some gulag being run for the people. Set them free and watch the welfare roles decline.

RobJohnson
12-13-2017, 07:55 AM
On the whole, I hate all those proposed rules for people on the Food Stamp program, like "no steaks", when steak is a perfectly acceptable meal or ingredient to a meal and it is frequently on sale. Most fish is more expensive, anyways, and no one is saying "no catfish".

But feeding your kids who are still growing pop instead of milk or juice doesn't need to be rewarded. I drank plenty of Faygo as a kid, but I drank milk with lunch and dinner unless we were at a restaurant.

Sometimes steaks are on sale for less per pound then ground beef.

noonwitch
12-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Sometimes steaks are on sale for less per pound then ground beef.

Sometimes even cheaper than chicken. The thing I see through work that bugs me is how many parents on food stamps buy crap like Hot Pockets and TV dinners instead of preparing food for their kids. We have to look through the cupboards and fridge when we are checking out people's homes, to make sure they have enough food for the kids. The cupboards will be bare, but the freezer is full of unhealthy crap. When I was a Prevention worker, one of my coworkers (the one who taught me how to make greens) and I wanted to do free cooking and budgeting classes for our clients, but we were told that it was easier to purchase those services out. The classes we pay some other agency to give focus on nutrition, but not on teaching people how to actually prepare healthy food.

I do support the ban on alcohol and tobacco, though.

Ole Cowboy
12-13-2017, 10:39 AM
I see no need for us to monitor their spending habits. Welfare programs already cost the taxpayer about $1 Trillion per year now and this number does not reflect the overhear cost of administration which is staggering.

I know what many will say: Well then they will buy, beer and smokes and twinkies...YEA they will and do you really care what they do? I don't and in fact let them drink themselves into oblivion far as I am concerned. They are already the poster people for bad decisions in life, so let them go at it till they drop dead from excess...then they are off the rolls.