PDA

View Full Version : Gothic: all black, black nails, black eyeliner, black lipstick: But No Class Picture

megimoo
12-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Not Pictured: Senior Denied Spot In Yearbook

The teen, who has had to serve in-school suspensions for being a “distraction,” said he doesn’t dress the way he does to get attention. It’s just who he is.

Senior Clay Edwards’ photo won’t be in this year’s Bracken County High School yearbook. He’ll be listed as “not pictured.”

For Edwards it wasn’t missing picture day or a case of the flu that kept him out of his last yearbook and the class of 2009 composite – it was a dog collar and makeup, and his refusal to wear a faux tuxedo pullover, an unwritten school policy, that all of the other senior boys wore.

His mother Karen Edwards, who grew up in Bracken County, Ky., blames her son’s omission from the yearbook on a “country-bumpkin” mentality.

“People gawk at you like you spawning another head,” said Clay of his appearance.The 17-year-old is what is known as Gothic: black clothes, black nails, black eyeliner, black lipstick.

But the teen, who has had to serve in-school suspensions for being a “distraction,” said he doesn’t dress the way he does to get attention. It’s just who he is.

“I do what I do because this is what I want to be. I don’t care what people think,” said Clay, whose fashion idols include Madonna, Marilyn Manson, Boy George, Cher and Pete Burns.

The budding fashion designer/artist said that he toned down his normal appearance for his senior pictures. He said that he was wearing purple eye shadow, blackish-purple lipstick and drawn-on eyelashes, accessorized by a dog collar.

When he showed up for the photo, he said he was told to wash off the makeup, remove the collar and put on the tuxedo wrap.

“To take off the makeup and the color is taking away a part of who I am,” said Clay, who said he was told it was required and expected of him.

(Since 2004, seniors are required to wear a pullover for the senior composite and yearbook photos. (Jessica Noll/KyPost.com) ) According to Jenny Ray, the high school’s principal, the dress code for yearbook was instituted by a vote to wear the currently required outfits by the class of 2004. That dress code has remained.

“It instills a formality – the importance of graduation and the formal event that it is,” Ray said of the senior photo mandate. She said that the senior composite would hang in the school forever and that any student who does not comply with the dress code, isn’t included in the composite or yearbook.

BadCat
12-05-2008, 06:35 PM
I never understood goth on guys.

Some of the chicks are pretty hot though.

enslaved1
12-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Yearbook photo: fine, look freaky if you want, no problem. My senior pictures featured my motorcycle jacket and my combat boots.
Permanently, publicly displayed senior photo: get over yourself, put on the monkey suit for ten minutes, and show a little respect for tradition.

But the teen, who has had to serve in-school suspensions for being a “distraction,” said he doesn’t dress the way he does to get attention. It’s just who he is.
Horsesqueeze.

“To take off the makeup and the color is taking away a part of who I am,” said Clay, who said he was told it was required and expected of him.
If that's all you are, the counselor needs to have several very very long talks with you kid.

JB
12-05-2008, 06:39 PM
They should absolutely put the pic in the yearbook...that way in a few years when he gets his head out of his ass he'll still have the reminder for posterity.

BadCat
12-05-2008, 06:41 PM
They should absolutely put the pic in the yearbook...that way in a few years when he gets his head out of his ass he'll still have the reminder for posterity.

Yearbook photos are ALWAYS frightening 10 years later.
That's why I skipped school on that day.

Goldwater
12-05-2008, 07:32 PM
I never understood goth on guys.

Some of the chicks are pretty hot though.

Meh, goth chicks don't do it for me.