PDA

View Full Version : My take on net neutrality by Kim Komando

Apocalypse
12-18-2017, 12:46 PM
https://www.komando.com/happening-now/434301/my-take-on-net-neutrality-do-you-agree

The Washington name game

Like most legislation coming out of Washington, the name didn't really reflect what the law would have done. Here’s a case in point: Ask yourself, “Where was the internet 25 years ago in 1992?” For the most part, it did not exist!

OK, then ask yourself how in the world did it become the all-pervasive, everywhere at once, information, education, communications, entertainment, shopping and commerce giant that it is today? Was it because of early so-called Net Neutrality? Well, of course not. In fact, most agree that the internet is what it is precisely because the government did NOT interfere.

It did not regulate, oversee, act as traffic cop or playground teacher. For the government, it was strictly, HANDS OFF. And we created the freest and fair marketplace in history, allowing consumers to choose the winners and losers in a competitive marketplace.

This resulted in the best ideas, products and services rising to the top. The internet thrived, business competition soared. New business opportunities became possible, think eBay, VRBO, Amazon, the list is endless. Everyone benefitted because the playing field was level. Anyone could come. And everyone DID come.

Take the time to click the link and read the whole thing, very well written.

Angry Old White Man
12-18-2017, 01:51 PM
In a nutshell this is all about big corporate giants taking over the bandwidth of American Internet, back door payoffs from lobbiest to get this vote from a little group of no more than 5 people all not elected but hired to take a position in the FCC. It will not stand once it goes to court. What would happen is you as a casual user will not be able to have fast internet any longer and the rich corporations will be given all the bandwidth. It is companies like amazon and other commercial sites that want to own all the bandwidth., I think it is one of the most blazen attempts to steal something that has happened in a long time. It has nothing to do with being conservative or liberal but everything to do with IT DON'T BELONG TO THE GOVERNMENT I get so pissed off when I see these little wealsels all sticking their noses in someone's business and selling their vote to steal an entity that belongs to every last citizen of every nation in the world , it was a gift to the world and not intended to be stolen by some asshole billionaires. This is what it is all about, forget the fancy name it is no more than a grand theft, I would like to throat punch those little peons who decided they can sell it to the highest bidders. Nothing is safe any longer from the corporate thieves and this is a prime example of a government agency that is out of control and can't take care of the real problems in American such as lying fake news by the MSM which is what they were formed for to begin with, not stick their grubby little hands on the internet bandwidth. It all stinks to high heaven and if allowed it will kill the internet and very soon. Just imagine going back to modem speeds because these thieving bastards have all the bandwidth for business. :livid:

RobJohnson
12-19-2017, 03:21 PM
In a nutshell this is all about big corporate giants taking over the bandwidth of American Internet, back door payoffs from lobbiest to get this vote from a little group of no more than 5 people all not elected but hired to take a position in the FCC. It will not stand once it goes to court. What would happen is you as a casual user will not be able to have fast internet any longer and the rich corporations will be given all the bandwidth. It is companies like amazon and other commercial sites that want to own all the bandwidth., I think it is one of the most blazen attempts to steal something that has happened in a long time. It has nothing to do with being conservative or liberal but everything to do with IT DON'T BELONG TO THE GOVERNMENT I get so pissed off when I see these little wealsels all sticking their noses in someone's business and selling their vote to steal an entity that belongs to every last citizen of every nation in the world , it was a gift to the world and not intended to be stolen by some asshole billionaires. This is what it is all about, forget the fancy name it is no more than a grand theft, I would like to throat punch those little peons who decided they can sell it to the highest bidders. Nothing is safe any longer from the corporate thieves and this is a prime example of a government agency that is out of control and can't take care of the real problems in American such as lying fake news by the MSM which is what they were formed for to begin with, not stick their grubby little hands on the internet bandwidth. It all stinks to high heaven and if allowed it will kill the internet and very soon. Just imagine going back to modem speeds because these thieving bastards have all the bandwidth for business. :livid:

I have a feeling you are correct.

Our free market is often interrupted by monopolies & campaign donations.

Ole Cowboy
12-19-2017, 04:44 PM
The internet was 'invented' by the Army and because of that our Army policy which states (paraphrasing) that tech (and other stuff) developed/invented by the military unless classified can be given to civilians upon request...or words to that effect!

I led the development of of some software and received several requests for the source code from both companies and state governments. We could charge for the costs to obtain and ship, I did not as it was a few computer disks and an envelope. In fact there are many companies out there that call themselves "Technology Transfer" companies and that is what they do it take military work/development/etc and repackage or add/delete/modify and sell it in the marketplace.