PDA

View Full Version : Bubba's All Natural Saturday Morning Thread.

Gingersnap
12-06-2008, 10:03 AM
This is Bubba's Saturday Thread that he asked me to post for him.

I’m not on The Mountain today. It’s time for the family reunion in Florida. From Thursday through Sunday, I will be on the road or staying with a relative who does not have a computer or, obviously, an internet connect She’s a non-drinker and has no bar.
She does not have cable or satellite or anything. She does have her own airplane, though. A Cessna something-or-other. A little Buddy Holly Death Plane size.

I’m going to die. The SEC championship game is on Saturday. I’m hitting a bar.

TOTD. Technology. What could you do without if necessary? What would you gladly do without? What do you feel is a must to have?

I use the cell phone a lot. I am constantly on the computer, at work and at home, and with a laptop, on the road. This is a big deal to me.

We live where we can’t get cable TV so we have a satellite. Except for one small TV station about 30 miles away, we are over 100 miles from broadcast TV. I watch mostly sports and history and movies, but cable news is important to me. But, if I have Internet, I could, if I had to, do without TV. I’d miss football and movies, but I could do it. I’d prefer not to, though.

movie buff
12-06-2008, 10:11 AM
I suppose I could do without cable TV. Most of the shows I watch are on the regular stations, anyway.

BadCat
12-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Florida is the land of crazy people on the East Coast, Ginger, I hope you're bringing heat.

Technology I could live without?

The computerized video surveillance system in the house? Nope.
The X10 system that automatically opens and closes the blinds and drapes? Nope.
The 52 inch flat screen TV's? Nope.
DirecTV? Hell no.
My internet connection? Probably.

Gingersnap
12-06-2008, 10:39 AM
We should have a couple of nice days and then more snow for Monday. I will have the fake, animated light-up reindeer deployed by then so it won't be a total loss.

TOTD: I don't even own a cell phone. I do use the computer to get news and keep up with friends and family. I also use it for bill-paying and shopping so that would hard to do without (although I could).

We only got DTV about 18 months ago. Before that, it was broadcast only my entire life. I like it (I really like the DVR) but I could drop it without too much trouble. I have a very special relationship with my serger and giving that up would be a heart-breaker. The same is true of my Kitchen Aid. I could get along without the microwave.

When I think about it, I'm in a really enviable position in terms of tech. Although I enjoy the convenience and speed, I can actually perform the functions of life without most of it. I can write a letter, figure out a square root on paper, build a fire, sew by hand, use a dictionary, and grow food (or kill it). I'm not helpless. :)

BadCat
12-06-2008, 10:48 AM
You need a system like I've got to open and close your blinds and drapes.

You can write your own programs for them. I wrote a neat one that opens them on the south/east side at sunrise + 15 minutes. They are all programmed to close if the temperature inside the house gets above a particular temp in the summer or below a particular temp in the winter. They are also programmed to close at sunset -15 minutes (if they are still open).

If you got one, then I could PM you with things like "Your drapes just closed. Was it your program or is someone inside your house?".

Gingersnap
12-06-2008, 10:59 AM
You need a system like I've got to open and close your blinds and drapes.

You can write your own programs for them. I wrote a neat one that opens them on the south/east side at sunrise + 15 minutes. They are all programmed to close if the temperature inside the house gets above a particular temp in the summer or below a particular temp in the winter. They are also programmed to close at sunset -15 minutes (if they are still open).

If you got one, then I could PM you with things like "Your drapes just closed. Was it your program or is someone inside your house?".

LOL! I have enough problems. I do use digital timers to turn the lights on in the evening (semi-randomly) between Halloween and April. I get home first and I hate coming home to a dark house. It's completely irrational since the silence of the dogs would warn me instantly of an intrusion but there it is. :D

marinejcksn
12-06-2008, 12:12 PM
I've lived the last 6 months out here in the desert without my cell phone, so I guess I could make due.

Honestly I could live with just about as little leisure technology as possible and still be happy. Plop me back in our cabin up in Clinton County Pa with no TV or computer, some Crown Royal and deer season in full swing and I'm all set. If that one glorious week could stretch out 12 months I'd be in heaven. :D

M21
12-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't watch television so it wouldn't be missed. I have one but haven't watched it in years.

I don't need a phone. I need running water and gas powered rifles and that's about it. I also prefer paper to smooth rocks and leaves. ;)

RobJohnson
12-06-2008, 02:04 PM
I am able to pretty much get by without anything if I have to.

Bubba Dawg
12-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Okay. Back among the technologically connected.

I had a great 3 days with the family. I missed having football on TV (I missed the SE Conference Championship.) and the news. I aalso missed being able to connect to the internet and read stuff. I realized this weekend how much I rely on reading the news sources on the internet to get information.

I also missed youse guys. :D