PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gifts: What're you giving?

marinejcksn
12-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Ok gang, I'm starting the Christmas posts early because I'm feelin' jolly. (I got a mini tree today from my grandma through Operation Christmas Tree...joy! :D)

First topic: What're you giving those special people in your life for Christmas this year?

Here's my list:

Mom: Gift card to Red Lobster (favorite restaurant)
Dad: 2 year membership to the NRA
Sister: Gift card to Damon's (great ribs ;))
Nephew: Toys
Niece: Toys
Stepdaughters: Both gift cards to Forever 21 (their favorite clothes store)
Stepson: 1 Game for Xbox 360, 1 Game for Nintendo Wii
Wife: Favorite perfume from Victoria's Secret (since we don't have the store in Hawaii, it's mail order) and a gift card to American Eagle (her favorite clothing store).

I think I did pretty well this year. Got each person something they'd really like and didn't break the bank doing it. Overall cost: $750.

How'd ya'll do? :D

Gingersnap
12-06-2008, 11:29 AM
This a Lounge thread if there ever was one. :D

BadCat
12-06-2008, 11:37 AM
$750 is almost the price of one of the gifts I got for my wife.
Only about another $2250 to go, and I'll be done shopping for her.

Then there's my mother and her husband, they have EVERYTHING, so they're always hard to shop for.

Brothers and sisters get something like a cheescake. I don't like them much anyway.

marinejcksn
12-06-2008, 12:06 PM
$750 is almost the price of one of the gifts I got for my wife.
Only about another $2250 to go, and I'll be done shopping for her.
Then there's my mother and her husband, they have EVERYTHING, so they're always hard to shop for.

Brothers and sisters get something like a cheescake. I don't like them much anyway.

:eek:

Say....any chance you wanna drop some of that major coin on giving a troop some Plasma TV in his stocking this Christmas? :p

Seriously though, wow. The most I've ever dropped on my wife was 1500 bucks for her engagement ring from Tiffanys. That was a good weekend. :D;)

BadCat
12-06-2008, 12:07 PM
:eek:

Say....any chance you wanna drop some of that major coin on giving a troop some Plasma TV in his stocking this Christmas? :p

Seriously though, wow. The most I've ever dropped on my wife was 1500 bucks for her engagement ring from Tiffanys. That was a good weekend. :D;)

Actually, she's easy to shop for...just expensive.
She likes clothes, jewelry and guns.

marinejcksn
12-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Actually, she's easy to shop for...just expensive.
She likes clothes, jewelry and guns.

Sounds like a good woman. :D

Mine has similar tastes, just not jewelry so much unless it's simple stuff. Guns...not so much. Growing up in Hawaii she never handled many. She still asks every time I come back from hunting with my dad in Pa if I "Caught" any deer. :eek::D

RobJohnson
12-06-2008, 01:50 PM
I picked up some small things for neighbors that are always good about looking after my mom. Mostly candles that will fit nicely in gift bags.

I have to send my sister, brother-in-law, and nephews something..usually spend about $400 on this.

I gave five toys to toys for tots.

My mom is hard to shop for, as I buy stuff for her all the time...I don't like to see her need anything, so I make sure she has everything she needs. I just bought her a new necklace today, but gave it to her already..as she is recovering from surgery.

We are doing Secret Santa at work.

The most important gift...something for my mom's cat. :)

Zeus
12-06-2008, 02:06 PM
For the cook and /or person who likes to try new things. Natural Harvest (http://www.lulu.com/content/4956212).

If you are a passionate cook and are not afraid to experiment with new ingredients - you will love this cook book!

Zathras
12-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Not much this year unfortunantly due to being out of work.

Space Gravy
12-06-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm out the loop this year. What's the gotta have toy that's causing fistfights at Toys R Us and getting people to pay 5x retail value for it on Ebay?

Zeus
12-06-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm out the loop this year. What's the gotta have toy that's causing fistfights at Toys R Us and getting people to pay 5x retail value for it on Ebay?

I haven't heard of anything in particular. If I had to venture a guess I would say one of those cell phones that do pert near everything but wipe your butt. Currently selling for $500 - $600 with required service. Will be about $50 - $100 in about 4 - 6 months

MrsSmith
12-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Ok gang, I'm starting the Christmas posts early because I'm feelin' jolly. (I got a mini tree today from my grandma through Operation Christmas Tree...joy!)

First topic: What're you giving those special people in your life for Christmas this year?

Here's my list:

Sister: Gift card to Damon's (great ribs )
Wife: Favorite perfume from Victoria's Secret (since we don't have the store in Hawaii, it's mail order) and a gift card to American Eagle (her favorite clothing store).

I think I did pretty well this year. Got each person something they'd really like and didn't break the bank doing it. Overall cost: $750.

How'd ya'll do?

You only shop for 9 people? :eek::eek: Wow, I don't know if you're lucky, or unlucky...

We're skipping 4 of the grown kids this year...decided to make an exception for the pregnant 19 year old, we're getting her some housewarming gifts. Baby gifts can come later.

Beyond that, one large gift for the 11 and 16 year olds - a piano-quality keyboard. We're putting $10 bills and pictures into photo-frame ornaments for the 6 nephews. We're giving the granddaughter an Elmo shirt, a personalized Elmo book, and some Elmo toys. (Guess who she likes?) The other 3 grandkids...all boys...are currently undecided, but we'll spend about $30 each. Then there are stocking stuffers, of course. We'll end up over $1000 again. :(

d_va
12-06-2008, 07:15 PM
My husband and I started a tradition several years ago giving White House Ornaments to friends and family.

http://www.whitehousehistory.org/01/01.html

This supports the White House Historical Association too ;)

Phillygirl
12-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Ok gang, I'm starting the Christmas posts early because I'm feelin' jolly. (I got a mini tree today from my grandma through Operation Christmas Tree...joy! :D)

Here's my list:

Sister: Gift card to Damon's (great ribs ;))

How'd ya'll do? :D

Sounds like you did great!! I haven't even begun shopping yet. I have a few things I picked up in the Philippines earlier this year to give.

I'm still debating on whether or not to get Wii for my nephews. I need to find an attache case. Other than that, I'm clueless.

Every year I swear I'm just going to save myself some aggravation and money and just open an account for each of the kids, rather than buy them more "stuff". But then I chicken out as I do enjoy watching them open their gifts. And looking at a bank statement just doesn't give that same thrill.

marinejcksn
12-07-2008, 04:21 AM
You only shop for 9 people? :eek::eek: Wow, I don't know if you're lucky, or unlucky...

I consider it pretty lucky, at least from a financial standpoint. I've got tons of aunts, uncles, cousins & grandparents but usually we only buy big gifts for the immediate family so I really only end up shopping for my mom & dad, my sister, niece & nephew and then of course my wife and my stepkids. Everyone else gets nice Christmas cards and letters. :D

MrsSmith
12-07-2008, 05:07 PM
I consider it pretty lucky, at least from a financial standpoint. I've got tons of aunts, uncles, cousins & grandparents but usually we only buy big gifts for the immediate family so I really only end up shopping for my mom & dad, my sister, niece & nephew and then of course my wife and my stepkids. Everyone else gets nice Christmas cards and letters. :D

I hadn't stopped to think...you don't have grandkids, yet. It's amazing how they, um, multiply. :o And as we try to do an all-family Christmas, there are tons of little kids underfoot. :D

Celtic Rose
12-07-2008, 07:17 PM
I still have so much shopping to do :eek:

My Mom: I'm knitting her a lacy scarf
My Dad: Membership at the local wine ba. He'll get two free bottles of wine a month and 10% off anything else he buys.
My brother: I haven't decided yet. There is a poster he wants for his wall, and I'll probably find some music he likes
My coworkers: Homemade candy and cookies
Little cousins: Crayon "roll ups" (cloth crayon holders with pockets for each crayon that roll up nice) and coloring books
Older little cousin: Knitted fingerless gloves

I haven't decided on gifts for everyone else.

Speedy
12-07-2008, 08:59 PM
I got Yvette a gorgeous diamond necklace and matching earrings. The girls are getting some video games that they have been asking for and gift cards.

Everybody else is getting gifts that I am making in my wood shop. A bench/linen chest that goes at the foot of the bed for my mother in law. A cigar humidor and lighter and cutter holder for my father in law. My mom gets a display cabinet for her collection of ceramic cats.

linda22003
12-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Every year I swear I'm just going to save myself some aggravation and money and just open an account for each of the kids, rather than buy them more "stuff". But then I chicken out as I do enjoy watching them open their gifts. And looking at a bank statement just doesn't give that same thrill.

It doesn't have to be either/or. It could be some of each, with an increase toward the financial side as they get older. You could buy stock for them and give them a kids' guide to the stock market so they can learn how it works.

linda22003
12-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Everybody else is getting gifts that I am making in my wood shop. A bench/linen chest that goes at the foot of the bed for my mother in law. A cigar humidor and lighter and cutter holder for my father in law. My mom gets a display cabinet for her collection of ceramic cats.

I wish I were on a woodworker's Christmas list! That's wonderful, to be able to give gifts like that to people. I'm a knitter, and a couple of men in my life are getting Aran sweaters for Christmas. Another is getting a merino vest, knitted on teeny tiny needles (#1s!) :)

noonwitch
12-08-2008, 11:49 AM
I don't have that many people to buy for:

6 year old neice-Polly Pockets boat (it's what she said she wants).
8 year old neice-a sweater from the Limited Too, if it goes on sale before Christmas. Otherwise, a book about history or a cd by some non-Disney artist (Chris Brown is considered acceptable listening by the nuns who run Vista Maria Home for Girls, so I'll stick with that, most likely).

8 year old nephew and twin almost 12 year old neices-Target gift cards. It's what they want.

I got my sister Queen Latifah's "Dana Owens Album", a cd of her singing standards. My sister is a fan.

I'll get my brother in law something golf-themed or a dvd.

I'm getting my mom a $50 Nordstrom card. She's complaining that she can't afford to shop at high-end stores since she retired.

I always give my brother and sister in law a big can of Sander's fudge-it's a Detroit thing.

I'll go to the Harley store and buy the cheapest item I can for my mom's creepy boyfriend, who is the reason she can no longer afford to shop at high-end department stores.

I'm going to also buy a cheap dreidel for each of the neices and the nephew at the jewish bookstore-now that we know one of our maternal great grandmother's was jewish, my sister is really into the heritage idea (whereas I'm more into the pilgrim heritage on my dad's side, that connects us to the Roosevelts, among others).

marinejcksn
12-08-2008, 12:42 PM
(Chris Brown is considered acceptable listening by the nuns who run Vista Maria Home for Girls, so I'll stick with that, most likely).

Coincidently, Chris Brown's a real good kid. My wife bartends and when he came to Hawaii she was serving his after party and got to meet him and his parents, they were real nice down to earth people. Plus he let my stepdaughters on stage at his concert so they were the envy of all their friends. :p