PDA

View Full Version : Symphonic Sunday

biccat
12-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Last night my wife and I had the opportunity to go see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. It was an excellent show interwoven with a great Christmas story. The music was incredible, and the light show was (although blindingly bright at times) dazzling.

However, before the show, we decided to try someplace new for dinner. It's a local restaurant that brings in fresh seafood daily (no mean trick out here). Friends have told us about how great the service and food were, and prices were (semi) reasonable. Our experience was somewhat different. The waitress was terrible, the seafood was overcooked, and the side dishes were bland at best. Overall, I'd have to say that I would rather go to Applebees or a similar chain for half the price.

As for the weather, it's still dark, but it's cold and windy. Fortunately, there's been no snow this weekend.

TOTD: Have you ever been to a restaurant that has received lots of praise and sounded like a great place, but it turned out to be below (or way below) expectations?

SarasotaRepub
12-07-2008, 06:12 PM
SLW and I went to see the TSO last year and the show was fantastic!

Cold here today but no snow!!! :D

TOTD: You bet, plenty of the ones in Sarasota fit that bill. Supposed to be
greyt and turned out to be forgettable.

SaintLouieWoman
12-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Loved TransSiberian Orchestra. It was well worth the price of the tickets.

I'd have to say Ruth's Chris. I had never been there before and SR had raved about it. Maybe I'm too picky, but didn't like the little cheapie croutons in the salad and thought the food was good, but not worth the price. There are too many non-chain restaurants in St Louis where you can get good as food or better for a much lower cost.

asdf2231
12-07-2008, 06:43 PM
They opened a place in Madison that was getting rave reviews and had a waiting list for reservations and the wife hauled me out to it.

She tried to find charitable things to say about it and I didn't bother.

The portions were rabbit sized, over priced and over seasoned and the service just flat out sucked.

asdf2231
12-07-2008, 06:44 PM
SLW and I went to see the TSO last year and the show was fantastic!

Cold here today but no snow!!! :D

TOTD: You bet, plenty of the ones in Sarasota fit that bill. Supposed to be
greyt and turned out to be forgettable.

We are going to get slammed with 8-15 inches by mid week.

I want my frigging Global Warming. :p

SarasotaRepub
12-07-2008, 09:04 PM
We are going to get slammed with 8-15 inches by mid week.

I want my frigging Global Warming. :p

It's supposed to be in the 50's here and rain.:p:D