PDA

View Full Version : What have you learned?

GrumpyOldLady
12-08-2008, 09:08 AM
I have been reading some different spiritual sites lately.
I'm trying to understand people better.
The best way to understand them is to understand what motivates them.
Religion (or anti-religion) is a big motivator for many people.
At one site, people claim to have had near death experiences.
In their NDE, when they finally get to meet Jesus he asks them 'what did you learn?'
I have no idea if this is a true thing that happens, but it got me thinking -
What have I learned while here on Earth?
I have listed some of the 'wisdom' I have learned while here on Earth.
(flame away! )

I'd love to know what YOU have learned as well.
Enlighten me CU! :)

GrumpyOldLady
12-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Some of what I have learned - (beware ... I'm rather jaded!)

1 - NOTHING is as it seems. From spirituality to politics to news reports to consumer products to 'reality' to _______. Nothing is as it seems. Errors, lies, common stupidity and agenda fill our world.

2 - You never REALLY know a person - what they are thinking or why they are thinking it. We aren't them and so we don't know what REALLY goes on inside the other person, or even why.

3 - Life is a board game and we are one of the board pieces. We get put here, without really knowing where 'here' is in the scheme of the universe. And it's like we are in a game but we don't know the rules, and we don't know the goal of the game. There are lots of 'rule books' (bible, qu'ran, buddhism, New Age, blah blah blah) but there is no defining set of rules and no stated goal that we can count on as being accurate. This doesn't seem fair at all.

4 - The planet is collectively stupid. Some of us are less stupid then others. But humanity itself never seems to learn from it's own history and it just repeats the mistakes of yesteryear.

5 - Everyone is a bit lonely. There are people around us but we are the only ones inhabiting our bodies and we are the only ones feeling and thinking exactly that thing at that moment. We are even born alone and we die alone. Even if people are around us, we are the only ones going through that.

6 - On Earth - In order to fully appreciate the good, you have to have bad. In order to fully appreciate life, you have to have death. In order to fully appreciate the warmth of a late spring day, you have to have cold winter ones as well. In order to fully appreciate good health, you have to suffer a head ache once in a while.

7 - Human friendship is usually fickle and fairweather. To find a friend who isn't fickle or fairweather is an amazing thing.

FlaGator
12-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Some of what I have learned - (beware ... I'm rather jaded!)

1 - NOTHING is as it seems. From spirituality to politics to news reports to consumer products to 'reality' to _______. Nothing is as it seems. Errors, lies, common stupidity and agenda fill our world.

People, even when well intentioned, are by nature error prone and imperfect, thus all that they do is error prone and imperfect. Still I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.

2 - You never REALLY know a person - what they are thinking or why they are thinking it. We aren't them and so we don't know what REALLY goes on inside the other person, or even why.

This is true. Only God knows what is truly in our hearts.

3 - Life is a board game and we are one of the board pieces. We get put here, without really knowing where 'here' is in the scheme of the universe. And it's like we are in a game but we don't know the rules, and we don't know the goal of the game. There are lots of 'rule books' (bible, qu'ran, buddhism, New Age, blah blah blah) but there is no defining set of rules and no stated goal that we can count on as being accurate. This doesn't seem fair at all.

Life is what you make of it. If you view it as a board game then a board game it is. Also, if you think about it, it is good that life is not fair. If it was fair that would mean that we deserve all the bad things that happen to us.

4 - The planet is collectively stupid. Some of us are less stupid then others. But humanity itself never seems to learn from it's own history and it just repeats the mistakes of yesteryear.

Again, we humans are fallen and imperfect.

5 - Everyone is a bit lonely. There are people around us but we are the only ones inhabiting our bodies and we are the only ones feeling and thinking exactly that thing at that moment. We are even born alone and we die alone. Even if people are around us, we are the only ones going through that.

We are never alone. God is with us all the time. When we feel alone it is our preception that is a fault. The most peaceful and fulfilled time I find is when I am by myself praying and cognizant of God's presence in my life. I try, through prayer, to develop an awareness of Hm and the carry that awareness with me through the day. Even when I am by myself I know that He is with me and I can talk to Him and He is listening.

6 - On Earth - In order to fully appreciate the good, you have to have bad. In order to fully appreciate life, you have to have death. In order to fully appreciate the warmth of a late spring day, you have to have cold winter ones as well. In order to fully appreciate good health, you have to suffer a head ache once in a while.

Again this is true. If you didn't know death then you would never appreciate life.

7 - Human friendship is usually fickle and fairweather. To find a friend who isn't fickle or fairweather is an amazing thing.

Too many people confuse friends with acquintences.

linda22003
12-08-2008, 09:51 AM
I've learned that attitude isn't everything, but it is about 80%. If you think the world is against you, everything is unfair, and you'll never get ahead, it's true. If you think every day is potentially fun, that life is an adventure, and good things are waiting to happen to you, it's also true. :)

FlaGator
12-08-2008, 09:52 AM
I've learned that attitude isn't everything, but it is about 80%. If you think the world is against you, everything is unfair, and you'll never get ahead, it's true. If you think every day is potentially fun, that life is an adventure, and good things are waiting to happen to you, it's also true. :)

And you are exactly right! :)

linda22003
12-08-2008, 09:54 AM
And you are exactly right! :)

I usually am. :p

noonwitch
12-08-2008, 12:00 PM
The most important lesson I was ever taught was by my crazy mother:

If, when you are driving down the street, a ball rolls out in front of you from between parked cars, stop. There is a child right behind it.

This has served me very well over the years. Not philosophy, but it applies to other situations. Nobody ever does what you expect them to do, and always be prepared for the unpredictable, in both good and bad ways.

patsfan
12-08-2008, 12:37 PM
I have learned that I am an absolute bust when it comes to judging people on the first meeting. I am never right. But I keep making those same snap judgments, and I don't know why I do.

Gingersnap
12-08-2008, 01:27 PM
I don't really think that Christ issues a pop quiz after death but in the spirit of the thread:

Calvin was right about human nature;

Overlook minor (and some major) imperfections in others. You can't fix people because you simply don't hold the warranty;

Avoid evil people even when you pity them;

Fake those emotions you wish to experience. If you wait until you are in the mood, you'll wait forever;

Dare to be dull - it's more intriguing than it looks;

Never watch medical freak shows before bedtime. Just say "No". :D

wilbur
12-08-2008, 02:11 PM
What have I learned???

So far its been a very worthwhile experience. I recommend it. ;)

GrumpyOldLady
12-08-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't really think that Christ issues a pop quiz after death but in the spirit of the thread:

I don't either. It was just something I read and it got me thinking ... what have I learned here ...

MrsSmith
12-08-2008, 08:09 PM
What I've learned...

1) Christ is real, God is real, the Holy Spirit is real, and He really does love us all.

2) All people are imperfect, so accept them that way.

3) Never marry someone who disbelieves 1 or 2.

4) You can't fix anyone else, all you can do is change yourself.

5) When a teenage sneaks out of the house in the middle of the night, you're going to forget #4 and try to fix him or her with great energy. It won't work, but it may make a big enough impression to convince them to pretend it did until they go to college.

6) Grandchildren are WAY more fun than your own kids!

7) It's not possible to "waste" time when you're paying attention to someone else.

8) No matter how many Christmas cookies you bake, there will never be enough... :(

:D

FlaGator
12-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I have learned that I am an absolute bust when it comes to judging people on the first meeting. I am never right. But I keep making those same snap judgments, and I don't know why I do.

Try the Constanza method. No matter what you feel do the opposite.

FlaGator
12-08-2008, 08:23 PM
What have I learned? No matter how much I learn there is still more that I don't know.

GrumpyOldLady
12-09-2008, 09:23 AM
You guys are posting great stuf! :D

I'm learning from what you have learned.

I'm also learning more about each of you.

Thanks. Keep it coming!

And to PATSFAN - I too have found that I am a lousy judge - at first meeting - of who would make good 'friends'.

Speedy
12-09-2008, 10:00 AM
I learned that you cannot make someone love you. The best you can do is stalk them in hopes that they give in.

AlmostThere
12-10-2008, 04:49 AM
1) The louder someone speaks, the less likely they'll be heard.

2) How much someone talks has a direct correlation to how little they know about the topic they speak of.

3) The absolute best way to get someone to like you is to be genuinely interested in them first.

4) You sleep with dogs and you'll wake up with fleas. That is more a statement of fact about our choice of friends than our choice of pets.

Odysseus
12-10-2008, 10:25 AM
You are the glass. The glass is neither half-empty nor half-full, it simply contains what you, your parents, your teachers, your friends, your enemies and all of your experiences have chosen to fill it with, but ultimately, it is up to you as to how you contain it. The size and shape of the glass is genetic, but the contents are yours, to do with what you will. Eventually, the glass will either erode, shatter or simply spill, but the contents will be lost to the rest of us forever, except for what you have poured into others.