PDA

View Full Version : Obama: Don't stock up on guns



Molon Labe
12-08-2008, 02:23 PM
I feel so reassured. :rolleyes:


http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/1318968,obama-gun-sales-up-120808.article


Obama: Don't stock up on guns


December 8, 2008

BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter
As gun sales shoot up around the country, President-elect Barack Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month.
"I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."

But National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said it's not Obama's words — but his legislative track record — that has gun-buyers flocking to the stores.

"Prior to his campaign for president, his record as a state legislator and as a U.S. Senator shows he voted for the most stringent forms of gun control, the most Draconian legislation, gun bans, ammunition bans and even an increase in federal excise taxes up to 500 percent for every gun and firearm sold," Arulanandam said.

Obama answered "yes" in 1996 to a questionnaire from an Illinois group on whether he supported a handgun ban. But he later said a staffer filled out that answer and he did not support a ban.

Nationally, background checks for gun purchases jumped nearly 49 percent during the week Obama was elected, compared with the same time period last year, according to the FBI's National Instant Background Check System.

Anecdotally, gun dealers around the country have reported spikes in sales. The Illinois State Rifle Association Reports gun sales for November were 38 percent higher than last year.

"We don't dispute [the gun sales hike] because the numbers from the federal system certainly confirm that there is increased activity out there. We just think it's a bit stupid," said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign against Gun Violence.

"Anyone who thinks they need to rush out and buy a firearm clearly has not been paying attention to how quickly we make progress on this issue. We don't think these are first-time buyers. We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

M21
12-08-2008, 02:43 PM
"We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

No such thing. Mind your own bidness. :cool:

PoliCon
12-08-2008, 02:48 PM
No such thing. Mind your own bidness. :cool:everything you do is their business!!

Arroyo_Doble
12-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Shhhh ... it is one of the few sectors doing well right now. Let the kooks be kooks.

GrumpyOldLady
12-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Obama says a lot of frightening things - but his 'don't stock up on guns' slip was rather telling.

He's one frightening dude.

lacarnut
12-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Obama says a lot of frightening things - but his 'don't stock up on guns' slip was rather telling.

He's one frightening dude.

Pisslosi and Reid have their sights on new gun laws and taxes. Obama will go along with whatever these Democratic kooks pass.

Arroyo_Doble
12-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Obama says a lot of frightening things - but his 'don't stock up on guns' slip was rather telling.

He's one frightening dude.

He didn't say that and there is no context for what he did say that I could find. Was it an answer to a question? Was it part of a statement? Don't really know.

Gingersnap
12-08-2008, 04:56 PM
We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

What if they are? I personally think that the average woman only needs 3 pairs of shoes for most purposes. Why keep buying more?

Molon Labe
12-08-2008, 04:56 PM
He didn't say that and there is no context for what he did say that I could find. Was it an answer to a question? Was it part of a statement? Don't really know.

I'm sure you're correct. It's not what he's saying....it's his legislative history on the thing. And men like Peter Hamm are a better gauge as to where Obama stands than mere words ...."trust me" "nothing to fear". Those words ring hollow.


Anyone who thinks they need to rush out and buy a firearm clearly has not been paying attention to how quickly we make progress on this issueWe don't think these are first-time buyers. We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more.

http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0095.gif

PoliCon
12-08-2008, 06:05 PM
The only time you have enough guns is when you have more than the criminals.

expat-pattaya
12-08-2008, 07:01 PM
The only time you have enough guns is when you have more than the criminals.

That would be ME :D


(I stocked up the last 10 years)

Speedy
12-08-2008, 10:23 PM
The only time you have enough guns is when you have more than the criminals.


No problem there. I could match up against Neil McCauley, Chris Shiherlis, and Michael Cheritto and still not be outgunned.

GrumpyOldLady
12-09-2008, 09:25 AM
The only time you have enough guns is when you have more than the criminals.

This statement deserves a showcase all it's own!
I LIKE IT! And I definately agree! :)

enslaved1
12-09-2008, 11:39 AM
That would be ME :D


(I stocked up the last 10 years)


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/righteous_slave/this_thread_is_useless_without_pics.gif

Full-Auto
12-09-2008, 12:55 PM
This guy is such a joke.

Yeah, right buddy. We're going to believe you given your voting record? We're going to trust a guy who supported compete handgun bans and 500% taxes on firearms and ammo?

Sorry Charlie. You duped 52% of the population last month, but the other 48% who didn't vote for you are too smart to fall for your BS.

We're buying guns and ammo, deal with it.

expat-pattaya
12-09-2008, 01:00 PM
I like pictures

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1007615/DSC01893_1.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1007615/guns1_1.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1007615/guns8_1.jpg

Last one isn't mine - I just like it

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-5/1007615/image007.jpg

marinejcksn
12-09-2008, 01:08 PM
http://www.thepeoplehavespoken.org/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/From_My_Cold_Dead_Hands.jpg

FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS!

Speedy
12-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Nice pics. I sold the .357 Python with the 10 in. barrel, the Ruger .41 Magnum Blackhawk and .45 ACP Kimber my dad left me last month. Have a lot of pieces that I plan to sell and am only keep the most efficient ones and the ones that have too much sentimental value attatched. Among those is a Colt M1911 that my grandfather bought in 1922. That gun had been fired so much that a few years ago my dad and I noticed that we could not hit shit with it and on the paper targets you could see the outline where sometimes the bullet went through sideways. The rifling had been completely worn out of the barrel. We replaced the barrel and while we were at it replaced the firing pin, grips and hammer. The hammer had a tendency to pinch the web between your thumb and trigger finger on occassion. We kept the original parts in case I ever decide to sell it to a collector or something.

That pistol is the best one we have ever had. I do not ever remember that gun jamming or misfiring and I have fired hundreds of thousands of rounds through it.

linda22003
12-09-2008, 02:00 PM
[QUOTE=marinejcksn;90319
FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS![/QUOTE]

Which, at this point, they are...:o

marinejcksn
12-09-2008, 02:21 PM
He's sorely missed. :(

expat-pattaya
12-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Charelton was a special man. I knew I hated Michael Moore when he dissed him in his Bowling for cash from stupid liberals movie.

Jumpy
12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
This guy is such a joke.

Yeah, right buddy. We're going to believe you given your voting record? We're going to trust a guy who supported compete handgun bans and 500% taxes on firearms and ammo?

Sorry Charlie. You duped 52% of the population last month, but the other 48% who didn't vote for you are too smart to fall for your BS.

We're buying guns and ammo, deal with it.

I would like to pass this info on to a gun supporting Dem friend of mine, who voted for Obama. Do
you have a link on this? yeah yeah... I could do my own homework, but maybe you have the info handy.