PDA

View Full Version : Blagojevich, chief of staff, arrested on federal charges

bijou
12-09-2008, 10:25 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20081209/capt.504dc64f4e684d0888c4fccd77eabaad.aptopix_blag ojevich_corruption_probe_ilgh102.jpg?x=400&y=278&q=85&sig=jp896URxnbWB60UgMY35Lg--

CHICAGO (AP) - Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was arrested Tuesday on charges of conspiring to get financial benefits through his authority to appoint a U.S. senator to fill the vacancy left by Barack Obama's election as president.

According to a federal criminal complaint, Blagojevich also was charged with illegally threatening to withhold state assistance to Tribune Co., the owner of the Chicago Tribune, in the sale of Wrigley Field. In return for state assistance, Blagojevich allegedly wanted members of the paper's editorial board who had been critical of him fired.

Blagojevich also was charged with using his authority as governor in an attempt to squeeze out campaign contributions.
Blagojevich's chief of staff, John Harris, also was arrested.

A 76-page FBI affidavit said the 51-year-old Democratic governor was intercepted on court-authorized wiretaps over the last month conspiring to sell or trade the vacant Senate seat for personal benefits for himself and his wife, Patti. Federal agents were in Blagojevich's office in the Thompson Center in downtown Chicago on Tuesday morning....

http://www.thetelegraph.com/news/arrested_21063___article.html/blagojevich_chicago.html

Gingersnap
12-09-2008, 10:33 AM
I can't find a perp walk pic. :mad:

xavierob82
12-09-2008, 10:35 AM
That's pretty funny.

zBoots
12-09-2008, 10:47 AM
The corruptness of democrats never ceases to amaze. We got 4 years of obama related corruption coming.

Puro Fan
12-09-2008, 11:21 AM
CHICAGO (AP) - Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was arrested Tuesday on charges of conspiring to get financial benefits through his authority to appoint a U.S. senator to fill the vacancy left by Barack Obama's election as president.

It doesn't shock me in the least. Anybody that claims to be a Cubs fan and says, " . . . I'm delighted that it's(referring to the 2005 World Series) on the South Side of Chicago.", is a two faced liar and can't be trusted. No self respecting Cubs fan or any decent, trustworthy human being, for that matter, would ever wish anything good for the Sox. :D

Link to comment:
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=18208

medic92
12-09-2008, 11:50 AM
As a resident of Illinois and a former state government employee during the Blagojevich administration, I can't even begin to describe how happy I am over this news. Illinois residents have been waiting for this for a long time and Christmas has come early!

I'm doing the happy dance all over the house today! :D

bijou
12-09-2008, 11:57 AM
As a resident of Illinois and a former state government employee during the Blagojevich administration, I can't even begin to describe how happy I am over this news. Illinois residents have been waiting for this for a long time and Christmas has come early!

I'm doing the happy dance all over the house today! :D
Don't you mean Fitzmas? :D

Milly
12-09-2008, 11:59 AM
What a surprise. Somebody in Chicago grew a pair.

My father-in-law was a Chicago alderman in the 40s and 50s and nothing much has changed in terms of corruption. But indictments are new. Bravo!:)

megimoo
12-09-2008, 12:00 PM
RAW DATA: Press Release on Blagojevich Arrest
The news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office following the arrest of Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

ILLINOIS GOV. ROD R. BLAGOJEVICH AND HIS CHIEF OF STAFF

JOHN HARRIS ARRESTED ON FEDERAL CORRUPTION CHARGES

Blagojevich and aide allegedly conspired to sell U.S. Senate appointment, engaged in pay-to-play schemes and threatened to withhold state assistance to Tribune Company for Wrigley Field to induce purge of newspaper editorial writers

CHICAGO - Illinois Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich and his Chief of Staff, John Harris, were arrested today by FBI agents on federal corruption charges alleging that they and others are engaging in ongoing criminal activity: conspiring to obtain personal financial benefits for Blagojevich by leveraging his sole authority to appoint a United States Senator; threatening to withhold substantial state assistance to the Tribune Company in connection with the sale of Wrigley Field to induce the firing of Chicago Tribune editorial board members sharply critical of Blagojevich; and to obtain campaign contributions in exchange for official actions - both historically and now in a push before a new state ethics law takes effect January 1, 2009.

Blagojevich, 51, and Harris, 46, both of Chicago, were each charged with conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and solicitation of bribery. They were charged in a two-count criminal complaint that was sworn out on Sunday and unsealed today following their arrests, which occurred without incident, announced Patrick J. Fitzgerald, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois, and Robert D. Grant, Special Agent-in-Charge of the Chicago Office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Both men were expected to appear later today before U.S. Magistrate Judge Nan Nolan in U.S. District Court in Chicago.

A 76-page FBI affidavit alleges that Blagojevich was intercepted on court-authorized wiretaps during the last month conspiring to sell or trade Illinois U.S. Senate seat vacated by President-elect Barack Obama for financial and other personal benefits for himself and his wife. At various times, in exchange for the Senate appointment, Blagojevich discussed obtaining:

* a substantial salary for himself at a either a non-profit foundation or an organization affiliated with labor unions;

* placing his wife on paid corporate boards where he speculated she might garner as much as $150,000 a year;

* promises of campaign funds - including cash up front; and

* a cabinet post or ambassadorship for himself.

Just last week, on December 4, Blagojevich allegedly told an advisor that he might get some (money) up front, maybe from Senate Candidate 5, if he named Senate Candidate 5 to the Senate seat, to insure that Senate Candidate 5 kept a promise about raising money for Blagojevich if he ran for re-election. In a recorded conversation on October 31, Blagojevich claimed he was approached by an associate of Senate Candidate 5 as follows: We were approached pay to play. That, you know, hed raise 500 grand. An emissary came. Then the other guy would raise a million, if I made him (Senate Candidate 5) a Senator.

On November 7, while talking on the phone about the Senate seat with Harris and an advisor, Blagojevich said he needed to consider his family and that he is financially hurting, the affidavit states. Harris allegedly said that they were considering what would help the financial security of the Blagojevich family and what will keep Blagojevich politically viable. Blagojevich stated, I want to make money, adding later that he is interested in making $250,000 to $300,000 a year, the complaint alleges.

On November 10, in a lengthy telephone call with numerous advisors that included discussion about Blagojevich obtaining a lucrative job with a union-affiliated organization in exchange for appointing a particular Senate Candidate whom he believed was favored by the President-elect and which is described in more detail below, Blagojevich and others discussed various ways Blagojevich could monetize the relationships he has made as governor to make money after leaving that office. The breadth of corruption laid out in these charges is staggering, Mr. Fitzgerald said. They allege that Blagojevich put a for sale sign on the naming of a United States Senator; involved himself personally in pay-to-play schemes with the urgency of a salesman meeting his annual sales target; and corruptly used his office in an effort to trample editorial voices of criticism. The citizens of Illinois deserve public officials who act solely in the publics interest, without putting a price tag on government appointments, contracts and decisions, he added.
snip

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2008/12/09/raw-data-press-release-blagojevich-arrest/

noonwitch
12-09-2008, 12:15 PM
The stuff about the Tribune and trying to sell the vacant senate seat is really bad. Then, there's the fact that he was stupid enough to talk about it on the phone, a mistake that a seasoned politician should know better than to make.

I wish the feds would arrest Kwame Kilpatrick for some kind of corruption charges on the day he's released from the Wayne County Jail for his pled-down charges from the perjury conviction.

AlmostThere
12-09-2008, 12:57 PM
I haven't heard anyone guesstimate to how many years in prison he could get, but I'd imagine it would be substantial. If I had to guess, I'd say the Governor probably knows where the bodies are buried so to speak. If I were a corrupt politician in Illinois today, I'd be booking a flight.

One thing seems certain, Blagojevich and Harris appeared to have no fear of being caught.

expat-pattaya
12-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Another scumbag bite the dust.

I know I am not a good christian - well hell, I'm not a believer in anything, which makes it east to want vegeance in this world. I hope both of them spend a long time in jail for this. No short prison sentence and out for good behavior.

Now when does that jerk with the $90,000 in his fridge join him in a federal pen?

cat714
12-09-2008, 01:08 PM
What a bunch a weasels! Their arrogant attitudes about being caught shows that they think they are above the law. Kilpatrick had the same attitude and denied everything even though the evidence was damning against him too. People like this have no shame, no moral compass and only care about themselves. Kudos to AG Fitzgerald...as someone previous pointed out, somebody finally grew a pair.

I wonder how many of these Chicago crooks are going to be asking Obama for a pardon in 4 years???

asdf2231
12-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Holy Hell.

I knew he was a scumbag but I didn't think he was a prosecutable scumbag.

SarasotaRepub
12-09-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm sure the DUmmies are calling this another Rovian Plot. :rolleyes::D

HA-HA!!!

Speedy
12-09-2008, 01:41 PM
One thing seems certain, Blagojevich and Harris appeared to have no fear of being caught.

They didn't. Since Obama is their boy, why should they have been afraid?

Sonnabend
12-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Reszko will have a new cellmate :D

PoliCon
12-09-2008, 02:52 PM
The corruptness of democrats never ceases to amaze. We got 4 years of obama related corruption coming.
democrats are NEVER CORRUPT! How dare you even suggest that they are! He's obviously been framed. Clearly it was Bush who was impersonating him in those phone calls.

ralph wiggum
12-09-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm sure the DUmmies are calling this another Rovian Plot. :rolleyes::D

HA-HA!!!

Some of the Dummies are blaming the Bush Justice Dept., amazingly enough!

PoliCon
12-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Some of the Dummies are blaming the Bush Justice Dept., amazingly enough!see!! It's Bush's fault!

Speedy
12-09-2008, 03:11 PM
On Fox, Obama, as is his custom, just threw Blago under the bus.

Speedy
12-09-2008, 03:12 PM
I really hope that Obama is as squeaky clean as he sayd or likes to believe he is. He is so quick to toss people under the bus, that if someone who stands to be indicted knows anything and sees how disloyal Obama has been to those close to him, they will try to take him with them.

bijou
12-09-2008, 03:17 PM
I really hope that Obama is as squeaky clean as he sayd or likes to believe he is. He is so quick to toss people under the bus, that if someone who stands to be indicted knows anything and sees how disloyal Obama has been to those close to him, they will try to take him with them.

If he isn't, then it's time to invest in popcorn futures.

Speedy
12-09-2008, 03:20 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/speed_addiction/Fun/2008-12-09_141721.jpg

bijou
12-09-2008, 03:25 PM
^ too funny Speedy :D

Odysseus
12-09-2008, 03:27 PM
I haven't heard anyone guesstimate to how many years in prison he could get, but I'd imagine it would be substantial. If I had to guess, I'd say the Governor probably knows where the bodies are buried so to speak. If I were a corrupt politician in Illinois today, I'd be booking a flight.
So, what you're saying is that there will not be any politicians left in Illinois? That's good news for the airlines. They were going to need another bailout, but the exodus of corrupt politicians should put them in the black. :D

Some of the Dummies are blaming the Bush Justice Dept., amazingly enough!
And this surprises you because...?:rolleyes:

Speedy
12-09-2008, 03:52 PM
I saw something hilariously funny a while ago on Fox. Obambi McCokespoon was in a meeting with Manbear Pig and "Stand Up Chuck" Joe Biden was also there. Obambi made a statement about Blago as how he was saddened about the whole thing and would not be able to comment on a pending case any further. Then he launched into a 7 minute long, insufferably boring statement about how the time was now to act on Global Warming and how we had to take it serial now. No time to waste. The survival of the entire world depends on what we do this very minute! He ended his staement and there was not a single question on what he said about Global Warming. No one gave a shit about what Manbearpig thought about what we should do. No one heard a damned word, no one really gave a fuck. They just wanted him to shut the fuck up so they could ask about Blago. Welcome to the big time, Bambi.

xavierob82
12-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Blago called Obama a "motherfucker" because Obama and Rahn Emanuel did not support Blagojevich's plans to appoint a senator that would be a Blago croney. Obama wanted Valerie Jarret, and let it be known in the press. Blago blew a gasket, which prompted him to say on the wiretap: "Fuck Obama, I want to make money, if I don't get what I want, I'll just take the senate seat myself."

In fact, Blago sounds like a typical Republican with a severe case of ODS. The GOP should give Blago the keynote address at the 2012 GOP Convention.

Hooray for Obama, Emanuel, and prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald. Good guys 1, Bad guys 0.

THE RESISTANCE
12-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I wonder if the main stream media will go with this more than a day after all it is,
a Democrat liberal and not a conservative Republican.

Molon Labe
12-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Blago called Obama a "motherfucker" because Obama and Rahn Emanuel did not support Blagojevich's plans to appoint a senator that would be a Blago croney. Obama wanted Valerie Jarret, and let it be known in the press. Blago blew a gasket, which prompted him to say on the wiretap: "Fuck Obama, I want to make money, if I don't get what I want, I'll just take the senate seat myself."

In fact, Blago sounds like a typical Republican with a severe case of ODS. The GOP should give Blago the keynote address at the 2012 GOP Convention.

Hooray for Obama, Emanuel, and prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald. Good guys 1, Bad guys 0.

It never ceases to amuse me how you Obamacons are all giddy over idiots that would fit in nicely in the Bush administration. You'll get what you deserve...which is more of what you hated for 8 years...but you won't say a word cause you're all hypocrites.

Speedy
12-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Blago came in to clean up and from the looks of it, he was cleaning up pretty good.

megimoo
12-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Hilarious Blagojevich Cut n Paste
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9XPIT_-UTg&eurl=http://texdozier.com/?p=94

Video at link. As a student here in Chicago, I’ve been waiting since the first day I learned about Blagojevich for this scum to get his day…

Jumpy
12-09-2008, 05:38 PM
When I first read about this, it took until the very last paragraph to even say that this guy is a
Democrat. Had this been a republican, it would've been in the headline, and an R. wouldve been listed
after his name, everytime he was mentioned.

jediab
12-09-2008, 06:24 PM
When I first read about this, it took until the very last paragraph to even say that this guy is a
Democrat. Had this been a republican, it would've been in the headline, and an R. wouldve been listed
after his name, everytime he was mentioned.

In the article I read, it was in the 3rd paragraph.

SarasotaRepub
12-09-2008, 06:45 PM
President Elect Obama in an urgent call to future SoS Hillary Clinton...

SOS: Yes Mr. President, how may I serve you???

PEO: Hillary...I assume you know what's going on with Blogo??

SOS: Why of course Mr. President, I read about it on The DrudgeReport.

PEO: The DrudgeR...whatever, Hillary, I don't think it's going to be enough for me to throw Blogo under da bus...something STRONGER is called for!

SOS: Stronger Mr. President? Whatever do you mean???

PEO: Well madam Sec...you know...I was thinking more in the line of another Vince Foster type of...solution.

SOS: ...Click...

PEO: Madam Sec.??? Hillary? You there? Hellooooo? Is this thing connected????

:D

Odysseus
12-09-2008, 08:25 PM

Yes, Obama held out for one of his own cronies. Quite the moral stance. As for Blag, Only a liberal would make this into a Republican scandal. That's a stretch, even for you. He sounds a lot more like the typical corrupt Democrat, you know, like Charlie Rangel, who writes the tax code but claims not to understand it when it's time to pay, or William Jefferson, who was caught with $90k in his freezer, or maybe Marion "The bitch set me up" Barry, and don't get me started on the Clintons.

President Elect Obama in an urgent call to future SoS Hillary Clinton...

SOS: Yes Mr. President, how may I serve you???

PEO: Hillary...I assume you know what's going on with Blogo??

SOS: Why of course Mr. President, I read about it on The DrudgeReport.

PEO: The DrudgeR...whatever, Hillary, I don't think it's going to be enough for me to throw Blogo under da bus...something STRONGER is called for!

SOS: Stronger Mr. President? Whatever do you mean???

PEO: Well madam Sec...you know...I was thinking more in the line of another Vince Foster type of...solution.

SOS: ...Click...

PEO: Madam Sec.??? Hillary? You there? Hellooooo? Is this thing connected????

:D
LOL!!! :D

JB
12-09-2008, 08:36 PM
In fact, Blago sounds like a typical Republican with a severe case of ODS. The GOP should give Blago the keynote address at the 2012 GOP Convention.Now you know why you are regarded as nothing more than a cartoon on this site.

PoliCon
12-09-2008, 08:48 PM
I wonder if the main stream media will go with this more than a day after all it is,
a Democrat liberal and not a conservative Republican.They'll file it right next to the stories on on charlie and his problems in Haiti - and william jefferson and his frozen assets - Eliot Spitzer and his hookers . . . .

zBoots
12-09-2008, 09:49 PM
What a surprise. Somebody in Chicago grew a pair.

My father-in-law was a Chicago alderman in the 40s and 50s and nothing much has changed in terms of corruption. But indictments are new. Bravo!:)
Indictments are new and the #1 corrupt Illinois democrat will be potus soon and that is new.

zBoots
12-09-2008, 09:53 PM

The only thing obama had in this was his filthy little hand in Blagos front pocket feeling around for some senate seat cash.

BEG
12-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Yes, Obama held out for one of his own cronies. Quite the moral stance. As for Blag, Only a liberal would make this into a Republican scandal. That's a stretch, even for you. He sounds a lot more like the typical corrupt Democrat, you know, like Charlie Rangel, who writes the tax code but claims not to understand it when it's time to pay, or William Jefferson, who was caught with $90k in his freezer, or maybe Marion "The bitch set me up" Barry, and don't get me started on the Clintons.

LOL!!! :D

Racist!!!!! :p

djones520
12-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Watching Greta right now, and she's actually got some nutball on there whose parroting the DU meme about how this is all a big conspiracy. It's blowing my mind.

AmPat
12-10-2008, 06:16 AM
The stuff about the Tribune and trying to sell the vacant senate seat is really bad. Then, there's the fact that he was stupid enough to talk about it on the phone, a mistake that a seasoned politician should know better than to make.

I wish the feds would arrest Kwame Kilpatrick for some kind of corruption charges on the day he's released from the Wayne County Jail for his pled-down charges from the perjury conviction.

They ought to arrest him for his name.:eek::D

3rd-try
12-10-2008, 08:36 AM

You're so right. Obama climbed through the Chicago political ranks blindingly fast. And, he was always on the up and up.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

noonwitch
12-10-2008, 09:02 AM
They ought to arrest him for his name.:eek::D

No, they ought to arrest his mother, Congresswoman Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick for his name. She's probably done something to merit an arrest. I think her district is the 13th.

Odysseus
12-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Racist!!!!! :p
You know, it wasn't until I saw your comment that I realized that I'd cited three black politicians. I literally just threw out the most corrupt and obvious criminal conduct that came to mind. I suppose that I could have gone after Chris Dodd or Dick Durbin for their sweetheart loans from mortgage companies that they were regulating, but those three were just such great examples of criminal conduct that I didn't think past it to who they were. Damn, guess I have to sign up for sensitivity training. Is there an Equal Opportunity Officer in the house?

You're so right. Obama climbed through the Chicago political ranks blindingly fast. And, he was always on the up and up.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
For shame. Don't you know that the messiah can roll around in the mud and come up clean? :D

No, they ought to arrest his mother, Congresswoman Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick for his name. She's probably done something to merit an arrest. I think her district is the 13th.
Her name is Cheeks? She has her own issues.

marinejcksn
12-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Another Festivus Miracle! :D

Molon Labe
12-10-2008, 12:13 PM
Check out this piece They compare him to Marion Berry. :p

The Quotable Blagojevich
Posted by Richard Spencer on December 10, 2008

When the Blagojevich scandal first broke, I didn’t expect it to yield such “instant classic” fruit.

Thus spoke Rod on the subject of Barack Obama’s vacant Senate seat:

“I’ve got this thing and it’s f***ing golden, and, uh, uh, I’m just not giving it up for f***in’ nothing.”

This has got to be right up there with, ”Bitch set me up!” in terms of great political discourse. And speaking of the quotable Marion Barry, when I googled “bitch set me up!” (just to make sure I got it right), I found this webpage that’s nothing less than a Barry Chestomathy. So for your reading pleasure, here are some more examples of Marion’s wit and wisdom:

“The contagious people of Washington have stood firm against diversity during this long period of increment weather.”

“I promise you a police car on every sidewalk.”

“If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very very low crime rate.”

“First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I’m a night owl.”

“I am clearly more popular than Reagan. I am in my third term. Where’s Reagan? Gone after two! Defeated by George Bush and Michael Dukakis no less.”

“The laws in this city are clearly racist. All laws are racist. The law of gravity is racist.”

“I am making this trip to Africa because Washington is an international city, just like Tokyo, Nigeria, or Israel. As mayor, I am an international symbol. Can you deny that to Africa?”

“People have criticized me because my security detail is larger than the president’s. But you must ask yourself: are there more people who want to kill me than who want to kill the president? I can assure you there are.”

“The brave men who died in Vietnam, more than 100% of which were black, were the ultimate sacrifice.”

“I read a funny story about how the Republicans freed the slaves. The Republicans are the ones who created slavery by law in the 1600’s. Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves and he was not a Republican.”

“What right does Congress have to go around making laws just because they deem it necessary?”

“People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the water mains didn’t break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then? WOULD IT!?!”

“I am a great mayor; I am an upstanding Christian man; I am an intelligent man; I am a deeply educated man; I am a humble man.”

http://www.takimag.com/sniperstower/article/the_quotable_blagojevich/

Odysseus
12-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Another Festivus Miracle! :D

I'm sure that someone is telling him just how disappointed they are in him. Blago will have to demonstrate a feat of strength to his new roomie. :D

BTW, here's (http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/acrobat/2008-12/43789434.pdf) the actual indictment and a summary of the case here (http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=Yjg5MjAyZmViY2VjZDU4NzNlNDM2NDAyNzYyYWYzN2Q=). Fun stuff.

Hatejane
12-10-2008, 01:05 PM

One can only hope

AlmostThere
12-10-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm sure that someone is telling him just how disappointed they are in him. Blago will have to demonstrate a feat of strength to his new roomie. :D

BTW, here's (http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/acrobat/2008-12/43789434.pdf) the actual indictment and a summary of the case here (http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=Yjg5MjAyZmViY2VjZDU4NzNlNDM2NDAyNzYyYWYzN2Q=). Fun stuff.
A criminal complaint and an indictment are 2 different critters. When the grand jury hands down the indictment, there is expected to be far more than 2 charges. If Illinois is lucky, maybe they could time it where Hot-Rod takes over Ryan's bunk at Terre Haute.

Odysseus
12-10-2008, 07:25 PM
A criminal complaint and an indictment are 2 different critters. When the grand jury hands down the indictment, there is expected to be far more than 2 charges. If Illinois is lucky, maybe they could time it where Hot-Rod takes over Ryan's bunk at Terre Haute.

My bad. I used the wrong term. Mea culpa.

Hopefully, they'll end up sharing a cell. Ryan's a piece of work in his own right. See below, here (http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YmJlZGIzMjVjNmM3OWVmYjFkZDU1OTVkOTcyYTM3Mjc=) and here (http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/il10_kirk/Kirk_to_Bush_No_Pardon_for_Ryan.html).

Ryan, age 74, has served just 13 months out of his 78-month sentence. His troubles began 14 years ago with a fiery car crash. On Nov. 8, 1994, Ricardo Guzman was driving a semi-truck on Interstate 94 outside Milwaukee. As he drove, other truck drivers tried to warn Guzman on the CB that a metal assembly was dangling from the rear of his truck. Guzman, who barely spoke English, could not understand them. When the rear assembly finally came flying off and hit the pavement, it punctured the gas tank of a family’s minivan. The vehicle burst into flames, killing the six children inside and badly burning their parents, the Rev. Scott Willis and his wife, Janet.

Guzman and hundreds of other unqualified applicants had obtained their truck licenses in Illinois by bribing officials who worked under then-Secretary of State George Ryan. But that wasn’t clear at the time, and Ryan did a good job of keeping it that way: Months after Guzman’s accident, Ryan fired or transferred most of the employees in his office’s Inspector General department in order to quash the subsequent investigation.

The illegally licensed drivers had caused at least 55 accidents, including a 74-car pileup in California that killed two people and injured 51. As James Merriner recounts in his new political biography of Ryan, The Man Who Emptied Death Row, a total of eleven traffic deaths were attributable to the licenses fraudulently obtained from Ryan’s office.

AlmostThere
12-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Wouldn't it be totally insane if Rod winds up in witness-protection? That would be hysterical and incredibly sad all at the same time.

He is a fairly young man and I doubt he's willing to spend serious time in jail.

Odysseus
12-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Wouldn't it be totally insane if Rod winds up in witness-protection? That would be hysterical and incredibly sad all at the same time.

He is a fairly young man and I doubt he's willing to spend serious time in jail.
Regardless of what he's willing to do, he's going to do jail time, assuming that Obama keeps Fitz on as the US attorney long enough to complete the probe. If Obama pulls a Clinton and fires all of the US attorneys simultaneously, then Blago could ride it out without jail time, assuming that the new US attorney doesn't follow up as forcefully.

I'm just surprised that he didn't put the seat up on E-Bay. :D

AlmostThere
12-10-2008, 09:44 PM
I have no personal knowledge of Chicago politics. I just hear the stories of rampant corruption like everyone else. I can't believe that someone who has risen to the rank of Governor, wouldn't have a fair amount of dirt on quite a few people. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn Blago has dirt on organized crime figures. Blago might just remember that Sammy The Bull Gravano had a good number of murders hanging on his head and after rolling over only got 5 years in jail.

What can I say; Blago just ain't a G. Gordon Liddy.

zBoots
12-10-2008, 11:54 PM
I have no personal knowledge of Chicago politics. I just hear the stories of rampant corruption like everyone else. I can't believe that someone who has risen to the rank of Governor, wouldn't have a fair amount of dirt on quite a few people. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to learn Blago has dirt on organized crime figures. Blago might just remember that Sammy The Bull Gravano had a good number of murders hanging on his head and after rolling over only got 5 years in jail.

And what are the odds some skinny young arab talking negro with the name of hussein was able to rise up to senator in the most corrupt area in the US and hob nob with all these criminals and not be completely corrupt himself? You know, obama seems to magically hang out with a bunch of corrupt or America hating peeps and know nothing about them. Its a real theme with him.

Lars1701a
12-11-2008, 08:55 AM
And what are the odds some skinny young arab talking negro with the name of hussein was able to rise up to senator in the most corrupt area in the US and hob nob with all these criminals and not be completely corrupt himself? You know, obama seems to magically hang out with a bunch of corrupt or America hating peeps and know nothing about them. Its a real theme with him.

How dare you attempt to slime the magic negro? he who is clean and NEVER had to touch the muck that is Illinois politics. ;) I shudder to think what would happen if both of them (magic negro and blagojevich) were Republicans. :cool:

Its a theme he has down pat. :D

Odysseus
12-11-2008, 03:04 PM

Not with that hair. Seriously, the guy looks like he goes to the same barber as Donald Trump, but gets the economy cut.

Slim and none?

It's a shame that there's no institution in America that can investigate and report on these relationships, an institution that has a means of reaching Americans via print or through electronic means, maybe via some device that presents images and sound. Oh, if only... :rolleyes:

PoliCon
12-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Not with that hair. Seriously, the guy looks like he goes to the same barber as Donald Trump, but gets the economy cut. What are you talking about the man has supremely stylish hair . . . . ;)
http://tomroeser.com/blog/img/f24534/blagojevich.jpg

AmPat
12-11-2008, 06:03 PM
What are you talking about the man has supremely stylish hair . . . . ;)

I thought Big Hothair went out in the 80's?

zBoots
12-11-2008, 09:20 PM
What are you talking about the man has supremely stylish hair . . . . ;)

With a name and hair like that, we gotta cut the guy some slack. In any european country, he would have ethically cleansed about 200K people, here only tried to bilk some money.

RobJohnson
12-12-2008, 12:48 PM
http://www.verumserum.com/media/2008/12/blagobama.jpg

bijou
12-12-2008, 02:08 PM
John Harris resigned this morning as Gov. Rod Blagojevich's chief of staff, his lawyer said.

Harris dropped off his letter of resignation today in person and will not be going back to the office, according to his lawyer, Terry Ekl.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/12/blagojevich-chief-of-staff-harris-resigns.html

ralph wiggum
12-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Blago owes Winston & Strawn $500K: WSJ (http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=32207)

Gov. Rod Blagojevich owes more than $500,000 in unpaid legal bills to law firm Winston & Strawn, according to a news report Thursday.

Mr. Blagojevich racked up millions of dollars in legal fees over several years but stopped paying the Chicago firm earlier this year, the Wall Street Journal reported on its Web site, citing people familiar with the matter. The firm stopped representing the governor after his payments dried up, the story says.

Winston Strawn has been the governor’s main counsel since the federal government began its investigation five years ago into pay-to-play politics within his administration, the paper reported. It named Winston partner Bradley Lerman as the governor’s main legal counsel.

Mr. Lerman declined to comment to Crain’s. The governor’s current attorney, Sheldon Sorosky, didn’t return a phone call.

In an affidavit accompanying the criminal complaint against Mr. Blagojevich unveiled Tuesday, the governor several times alludes to his own financial troubles.

“I want to make money,” he told his chief of staff, according to a conversation last month that was recorded by federal agents.

Goldwater
12-12-2008, 07:07 PM
With a name and hair like that, we gotta cut the guy some slack. In any european country, he would have ethically cleansed about 200K people, here only tried to bilk some money.

Ha, I don't really understand that comment.

PoliCon
12-13-2008, 12:38 PM
I thought Big Hothair went out in the 80's? DO you pay attention to politics? Big hair is a political MUST in the democratic party - and even for some in the GOP. Mitt comes to mind . . ..

http://myclob.pbwiki.com/f/200521111.jpg

http://www.theyoungturks.com/images/EdwardsKerry.JPEG

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/images/soros_wild_hair.jpg

http://hoosieraccess.com/files/2008/03/patty_bauer.jpg

PoliCon
12-13-2008, 12:39 PM
http://www.verumserum.com/media/2008/12/blagobama.jpgThis picture is obviously a fake since Obama has never ever spoken to the man.

AlmostThere
12-13-2008, 04:41 PM
I've made a couple comments about Blago rolling over and taking down some folks with him. In the last couple days I've seen comments from a number of people questioning his mental state. The fact that his mental status is suddenly being questioned tells me that people are scared to death about what he's going to say. Should anyone be surprised that a thoroughly corrupt man continues to be corrupt even though he's under suspicion? It might be that he saw this as his last big payday and wasn't going to let it go by.

When Blago starts singing like a canary the only defense some people are gonna have is "You can't believe him. That man is crazy!".

RobJohnson
12-14-2008, 02:46 AM
This picture is obviously a fake since Obama has never ever spoken to the man.

LOL

It was actually part of Blago's official newsletter, which since then has been removed from the State of IL's website.

The photo was only two weeks old!

PoliCon
12-14-2008, 09:29 PM
LOL

It was actually part of Blago's official newsletter, which since then has been removed from the State of IL's website.

The photo was only two weeks old!Can't possibly be real. Obama has told us he never spoke to the man.

AmPat
12-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Can't possibly be real. Obama has told us he never spoke to the man.

And we all know that Obama is a DIFFERENT kind of politician. You know, the ONE who never LIES?:rolleyes:

Hope and Change. The change must be from Republican to Socialist.:eek:

PoliCon
12-15-2008, 10:32 AM
And we all know that Obama is a DIFFERENT kind of politician. You know, the ONE who never LIES?:rolleyes:

Hope and Change. The change must be from Republican to Socialist.:eek:RIGHT!! Obama has never lied. Not about anything. Not about taking public financing or about his relationships with questionable people or about where he was born or nothing.