PDA

View Full Version : Whatcha Reading?

Gingersnap
12-09-2008, 09:36 PM
After many failed attempts, I'm finally reading the 'Fellowship of the Ring' and enjoying it. I normally avoid any material that deals with elves or dragons but I'm reading the subtext now and getting a lot out of it.

So, what's on your nightstand (aside from the usual whips and clown-related items)? :D

PoliCon
12-09-2008, 09:40 PM
After many failed attempts, I'm finally reading the 'Fellowship of the Ring' and enjoying it. I normally avoid any material that deals with elves or dragons but I'm reading the subtext now and getting a lot out of it.

So, what's on your nightstand (aside from the usual whips and clown-related items)? :D The dresden files - Grave Peril by Jim Butcher. EXCELLENT read. Great characters - lots of truth in with the fiction and of course a mystery that needs to be solved. :)

Jumpy
12-09-2008, 09:40 PM
I just finished "Twilight". Easy read.. predictable, but still entertaining. I didnt like it as much as the Harry Potters, but it was still good. My daughter and I saw the movie today.. and it did the book justice. I LOVE Edward. <sigh>

Troll
12-09-2008, 09:46 PM
I just finished Animal Farm (read it twice in a row) and now I'm halfheartedly working on Science For All Americans.

BSR
12-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Whatcha Reading

The love letter your momma wrote me

Dear BSR:

You are so dreamy. I wish I can be with you all my life.

PoliCon
12-09-2008, 09:49 PM

Dear BSR:

You are so dreamy. I wish I can be with you all my life.:eek:OOOOOOO!!!!!!! BURN!!!:cool:

Jumpy
12-09-2008, 09:50 PM

Dear BSR:

ahhhhh!!!! I love it!! Gingersnaps mom, right?

PoliCon
12-09-2008, 09:53 PM
ahhhhh!!!! I love it!! Gingersnaps mom, right?couldn't possibly be. Ginger crawled out from under a rock.

megimoo
12-09-2008, 09:54 PM

So, what's on your nightstand (aside from the usual whips and clown-related items)? :D'Cross' James Paterson's newest and "Extreme Measures' by Vince Flynn .Also assorted CookBooks and cooking videos. I am always reading something somewhere.

Gingersnap
12-09-2008, 10:00 PM

Dear BSR:

Wow! I never really thought I'd get confirmation of the Zombie Apocalypse! Tell Mom that I love her but that I still keep the shotty in the bedroom, okay? :p

asdf2231
12-09-2008, 10:12 PM
The dresden files - Grave Peril by Jim Butcher. EXCELLENT read. Great characters - lots of truth in with the fiction and of course a mystery that needs to be solved. :)

My wife is wrapping up the series right now with "Small Favor". Both of us love Harry.

I'm just starting "If You Don't Buy This Book, We'll Kill This Dog!": Life, Laughs, Love, and Death at the National Lampoon by Matty Simmons. It's the story of how National Lampoon went from being one of the premiere humor venues in the world to the crap factory it turned into.

Bubba Dawg
12-09-2008, 10:16 PM
I was in a used book store this weekend and found a copy of 23 Days in July by John Wilcockson.

It is about the Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's sixth Tour win.

Pretty good.

PoliCon
12-09-2008, 10:20 PM
My wife is wrapping up the series right now with "Small Favor". Both of us love Harry. I can't WAIT til the next book comes out :)

BSR
12-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Wow! I never really thought I'd get confirmation of the Zombie Apocalypse! Tell Mom that I love her but that I still keep the shotty in the bedroom, okay? :p

thats just messed up. Now I feel bad. :(

jerkface.

Gingersnap
12-09-2008, 10:24 PM
thats just messed up. Now I feel bad. :(

jerkface.

Oh, lighten up. As far as I know, she's sleeping in the arms of Jesus. She would have thought this exchange was excruciating funny. Especially since I owned your ass. :p

lurkalot
12-09-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm reading Uncle John's bathroom reader...:D

BSR
12-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Oh, lighten up. As far as I know, she's sleeping in the arms of Jesus. She would have thought this exchange was excruciating funny. Especially since I owned your ass. :p

You dont own me... :mad:

http://www.kpebiz.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/slap.jpg

Gingersnap
12-09-2008, 10:36 PM
You dont own me... :mad:

Of course I did. However, like my stocks you are under-performing and flat so resale will a problem in this market. I guess I'll have to hang on to you through the next couple of quarters.

:D

M21
12-10-2008, 02:19 AM
The Divine Conspiracy: Rediscovering Our Hidden Life In God - Dallas Willard

4.5 of 5 Stars on Amazon. One of the most powerful books on spiritual formation that has ever been written.

biccat
12-10-2008, 08:25 AM
I can't WAIT til the next book comes out :)
I think it is coming out next April.

Right now I'm finishing up A Storm of Swords and then I'll move on to A Feast for Crows from George R. R. Martin's excellent A Song of Ice and Fire series.

After that I'll probably go buy the latest book from Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series and reread the other 3 books first.

I still need to work through the Dune series again, since Frank Herbert's son has released the 8th book, supposedly Frank's planned final chapter in the series.

linda22003
12-10-2008, 11:23 AM

Dear BSR:

I wish I "can"? Is she Korean? :p

noonwitch
12-10-2008, 12:00 PM
I just started reading In The Woods by Tana French. It's a murder mystery, and I'm only a little ways into it, but it seems pretty good, so far.

asdf2231
12-10-2008, 12:16 PM
I can't WAIT til the next book comes out :)

I think it is coming out next April.

Yeppers!

Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, Book 11) (Hardcover)
This title will be released on April 7, 2009.

Product Description
The new novel in the hit New York Times bestselling Dresden Files series.

The Warden Morgan has been accused of treason against the Wizards of the White Council—and there’s only one, final punishment for that crime. He’s on the run, wants his name cleared, and needs someone with a knack for backing the underdog. Someone like Harry Dresden...

Now, Harry must uncover a traitor within the Council, keep a less-than-agreeable Morgan under wraps, and avoid coming under scrutiny himself. And a single mistake may cost someone his head—someone like Harry

PoliCon
12-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeppers!

Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, Book 11) (Hardcover)
This title will be released on April 7, 2009.Butcher does a wonderful job with character development :)

bijou
12-10-2008, 01:45 PM
To Dream of the Dead (http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Dead-Merrily-Watkins-Mysteries/dp/1847245781) another in the excellent series (I would recommend starting with the first book, although it does stand alone as a novel)

asdf2231
12-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Well Hot Damn!

I just got back from the book store and I have the latest Repairman Jack novel "By The Sword" and Jim Butcher's "Princeps' Fury" (Thank you Biccat for the heads up!) waiting for me to start this weekend! I also picked up book 4 and 5 of the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik.

And as an added bonus they had a copy of the trade book for season 8 of the Buffy The Vampire Slayer graphic novels "Wolves At The Gate" and a new copy of "Wizard" magazine.

The Gods of literary geekdom smile on me!

linda22003
12-10-2008, 03:42 PM
I've just started Nassim Nicholas Taleb's The Black Swan, about unlikely but large impact events. The trend on these book lists here does not seem to be toward serious reading, it seems.

PoliCon
12-11-2008, 03:06 PM
The Gods of literary geekdom smile on me!here - for you :)http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/geek_inside.jpg http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/generic/7184/zoom/