PDA

View Full Version : Church refuses to remove cross to satisfy school district

Banacek
02-17-2018, 04:55 PM
In their efforts to accommodate the wishes of atheists and agnostics, McKinney School District requested that Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano, Texas, remove the cross from its sanctuary when holding graduation ceremonies. But the church declined, and now the school district will have to find another venue for its annual graduation exercises.

Billed as one of the largest megachurches in the nation, the school district has made use of Prestonwood’s huge sanctuary for more than a decade to hold graduation ceremonies for three of its high schools.

But then a group of atheists, agnostics and free-thinkers complained, and the district tried to get the church to change.

“It was our refusal to remove the cross from view that created this cowardly decision,” Pastor Jack Graham wrote on Twitter. “It appears religious freedom is under attack at the McKinney Public Schools.

http://dennismichaellynch.com/church-refuses-to-remove-cross-to-satisfy-school-district/

Dlr Pyro
02-17-2018, 08:12 PM
That's pretty ridiculous of the school to request the church to remove a cross to placate non church goers. Good on the church for not giving in.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SVPete
02-18-2018, 10:44 AM
If this is like other situations I've heard of like this, the church was letting the school use their facility for free, and it was one of the few (or the only) venues in the area capable of accommodating the crowd of family and friends of the graduates. And now, because of the cowardice of the school adminicrats, the substitute graduation venue will cost the school $$, and possibly not accommodate all who want to attend the graduation. Brilliant!

noonwitch
02-20-2018, 10:14 AM
My church meets in a public school auditorium at this point in time. Our new building opens in May.

We have a portable cross for Good Friday and Easter services. I'm not sure if there will be a cross in the new auditorium-there isn't at the main campus, but they have a chapel that does have a cross in it. We'll probably continue with the portable cross for the time being.

SVPete
02-20-2018, 10:22 AM
My church meets in a public school auditorium at this point in time. Our new building opens in May.

We have a portable cross for Good Friday and Easter services. I'm not sure if there will be a cross in the new auditorium-there isn't at the main campus, but they have a chapel that does have a cross in it. We'll probably continue with the portable cross for the time being.

That's kind of an inverse of of the situation in TX.

There are a lot of churches doing the church-in-a-box thing - setting everything up early Sunday AM and packing everything away again after services. It saves $$ for start-ups and where land/buildings are expensive. It is also wearing on people and equipment. A satellite campus of our church recently moved from doing church-in-a-box in a private school auditorium to renting/sharing with a local church.

noonwitch
02-20-2018, 03:10 PM
That's kind of an inverse of of the situation in TX.

There are a lot of churches doing the church-in-a-box thing - setting everything up early Sunday AM and packing everything away again after services. It saves $$ for start-ups and where land/buildings are expensive. It is also wearing on people and equipment. A satellite campus of our church recently moved from doing church-in-a-box in a private school auditorium to renting/sharing with a local church.

My school had a baccalaureate service the Sunday before graduation at the school auditorium. The seniors wore their caps and gowns. It was a very Christian service for graduates, with the speaker generally being a local pastor from a local church, usually a fairly conservative church. Everyone went to it, even the Jewish kids. Nobody bitched or moaned, except my mom-her objections centered around me being required to participate as a member of the orchestra in an activity that took place on a Sunday.